Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha Receiver and DTV Remote Code for Power On AND Off

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marcucci

marcucci

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm posting this because I've seen mention in a few threads some conflicting information. Can anyone answer if there is ANY way to get a DTV remote to control power ON and OFF for Yamaha receivers that have different On and Standby buttons on their remotes?

I just bought a Yamaha RX-V663 because EVERYTHING else about it was perfect for my setup. Now I'm befuddled by this seemingly pointless design flaw by Yamaha which they apparently have carried for years. What's extremely frustrating is that the 663 has a single on/off button on the front panel (unlike some other Yamahas) but discrete buttons on the remote.

BTW, if anyone is looking for the remote code, 31276 was the ONLY one that worked for me. NONE of the others in the list worked after multiple tries. That one worked like a champ. Now I'm just trying to figure out the on/off issue.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

I never have been able to get the power on/off to work. It only works one way, on or off, can't remember which. That is another one of the many reasons I dumped that remote and went with the Harmony..

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Yamaha uses DIFFERENT codes to turn the receiver on and off. The DirecTV remote can only have a single code assigned to it, so it could EITHER turn the receiver ON, OR it could turn it OFF, but one button can't do both. That's due to Yamaha's design decision, and that's why there are two buttons on your Yamaha remote.

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Interesting, I have a Yamaha HTR-5730 and when I slide the switch to AV1 I can use the Power button to turn the receiver on and off. Try holding the button for a brief second.

Try going to this site and using one of the codes there.

#5 OFFLINE   Throckmorton

Throckmorton

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

Interesting, I have a Yamaha HTR-5730 and when I slide the switch to AV1 I can use the Power button to turn the receiver on and off. Try holding the button for a brief second.

Try going to this site and using one of the codes there.

That's how my RX-V2700 works as well.
HR34-700, HR21-200 + AM-21, HR21-100, HR20-700
SlimLine 5 Dish w/SWM-16
Sony 60A3000 60" XSBR 1080P & Sony 40A4100 40" LCD 1080P
Yamaha RX-V2700

#6 OFFLINE   jocko

jocko

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

I know your pain. My remote used to power on and off my Yamaha receiver...now it just does "off". I have the same problem with the original remote...so I'm just chalking it up to a design flaw on Yamaha's part.

#7 OFFLINE   PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

Both of my Onkyo receivers are the same way. I can only use the D* remote to turn off the receiver, but not turn it on. Very frustrating. I have to keep the Onkyo remote on the coffee table just to turn it on, and then I use the D* remote for everything else, including receiver volume and mute.

My AIWA stereo in my bedroom, though, will turn on with the D* remote. The only thing I can't do with the D* remote is change the input function on the stereo.

#8 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

One of the many reasons I love my Harmony 880 . . . (and yes, I have a Yamaha HTR-5960 so I feel the remote-code pain). :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#9 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

Why not just program a 2nd. button to turn Yamaha off? That's what I did. Doesn't your new remote copy from old remotes?

spam firewall