Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Application for iPhone: Wish List

nfl-st

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

Please use this thread for specific suggestions on improvements and additions to the iPhone software. Other posts will be deleted.

DBSTalk's First Look can be found here.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Will this be an application that can be added to the Microsoft mobil OS like for iPaq?

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#3 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

After using the Boxee remote app with my Apple TV and iPhone. It would be cool if I could use my iPhone's keyboard to do searches on my HR2x.
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#4 OFFLINE   rizajj

rizajj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Why can't we get the ability to control our reciever? I'd like to be able to tune to a channel I am browsing on the iPhone guide, without switching to the remote. It'd also be great to view what's currently stored on my DVR and tune to one of those programs.

#5 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I agree, a remote viewer of the playlist or guide would be a killer. (But I'd also like that on each MRV client.)

Even my $39 SMC Ezstream media player can see the playlist of all my DVRs!

Everything's networked and ready!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

How about the ability to view the program on your iphone without using itunes or mrv to the iphone.:)

#7 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

How about the ability to view the program on your iphone without using itunes or mrv to the iphone.:)

Huh? What do you mean by "view the program without using itunes"? In terms of this app, iTunes is only required if you don't want to use the App Store app on the iPhone itself to install it.
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#8 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

Huh? What do you mean by "view the program without using itunes"? In terms of this app, iTunes is only required if you don't want to use the App Store app on the iPhone itself to install it.

I mean to watch the show directly on the iphone without buying it from itunes. If you know a way to this please speak up.

#9 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

I mean to watch the show directly on the iphone without buying it from itunes. If you know a way to this please speak up.

This app is not for buying programs on iTunes, it's for remotely viewing Guide info and scheduling programs to record to your DVRs.

As for watching programs on your iPhone, Slingplayer for the iPhone has apparently been submitted to the App Store for approval. I plan to download and use it extensively when it's approved.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#10 OFFLINE   king410

king410

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

how about the ability to also pay your bill

#11 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

how about the ability to also pay your bill

I'd vote for that. :) On the other hand, Mobile Safari on the iPhone DOES work to access and pay your account already, but I grant you a dedicated Directv App would make that process a bit less cumbersome and probably faster.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#12 OFFLINE   king410

king410

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'd vote for that. :) On the other hand, Mobile Safari on the iPhone DOES work to access and pay your account already, but I grant you a dedicated Directv App would make that process a bit less cumbersome and probably faster.

This is very true. what are the chances that this could happen.

#13 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

Another vote for controlling my DVR over the network. That would be very cool.

#14 OFFLINE   hmss007

hmss007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Here's a list of features that would be great to see in future versions.

* Ability to manage recordings. This would include the To Do list, Prioritizer, etc.

* See "My Playlist" for the DVR. This would help in knowing what had been recorded and know whether to record it.

* Handle conflicts, when you select a show to record and you select the DVR to record it to; would be nice to have the same options to select which recordings to potentially cancel if two shows are already scheduled to record at the same time). Maybe suggest a different DVR to use that doesn't have the conflict.

* Have the ability to scan all your DVRs and let you know if a selected show is already going to be recorded.

* Use as a remote for the DVR. Similar to how the Apple Remote iPhone application works.

* Watch recorded shows on the iPhone.

Thanks,
hmss007

#15 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Great list. I'd like to be able to do all of the above as well.

#16 OFFLINE   bledsoe812

bledsoe812

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

I would really like more actual interaction with my receiver. I would like to be able to see my recordings (not actually watch them - just see the list) and perform basic tasks like deleting, marking recordings to keep, etc. Also, I much needed feature is to be able to manage the full prioritizer list from the app. Everything looks great tho. I'm really excited for this app as it stands, so any improvements will make it that much more appealing.

#17 OFFLINE   azcoyote85044

azcoyote85044

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'd like the ability to bring up my dvr's To Do List with the iPhone app and extend a recording already in progress. This would be a great feature to have for sporting events where the actual end time could end up being well past what's listed in the guide. There have been quite a few times where I've had an incomplete recording a of sporting event because the game went into extra innings or overtime and wasn't home to adjust the dvr's recording stop time. It would be a lifesaver if the iPhone app could let me do this!

edit: someone in the other thread for the iphone app brought up an obvious solution to the sporting event scenario. Just use the iphone app to record the show scheduled to come on after the game.

Edited by azcoyote85044, 29 March 2009 - 09:46 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   OconRecon

OconRecon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

I agree with the list above for this app in its 2.0 release.

However, I have to give props to this 1.0 initial release. It is gorgeous, snappy, and I find much easier to use than the web app. Kudos to D* for a clean, simple, and elegant first go at it.

Does anyone else feel this is easier and faster than using the D* remote control? I think I may use this thing sitting in from of my TV even. Plain faster as Apple's UI is just better. Just recorded a movie on HBO and I could go to the channel really quickly using the vertical alphabet on the R side of the screen. And scanning through future HD movies to record MUCH faster than using the guide. Just a flick of the thumb.

Fantastic.

Has anyone hit a bug yet? Had it crash? I haven't so far. Time will tell.

Edited by OconRecon, 30 March 2009 - 05:57 AM.

D* since 1998

#19 OFFLINE   sundude90

sundude90

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

A few things I would like to see:

- The ability to see your playlist & to-do list so you know what recorded and so you know if there is any conflicts.
- I also would like to be able to watch recorded shows from my playlist, like Directv2PC or Sling.
- Remote Control Capabilities would be very nice, for when I loose the remote in the couch or something.

#20 OFFLINE   mattmill

mattmill

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:26 AM

Like the above suggestions but would ad the ability to limit channels ( favorites list) to cut out ones you never watch (kids, shopping, etc). Keep up the great work.

matt

spam firewall