Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If I cancel HD service, can I still get OTA HD?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hi all,

I have both an HR20 and an HR10 Hi-Def Tivo on my account. I'm trying to bring down my monthly DirecTV bill. If I cancel HD service through DirecTV:

1) Will they require me to send back the HR20?
2) If not, can I still view OTA local HD on it?
3) Will I still be able to view OTA local HD on the HR10?
4) I am guessing I will not be able to record any of this OTA HD?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Deleted:

I have to apologize, I misread your OP. I thought you were talking about canceling your entire account, not just HD. Sorry!

Edited by miketorse, 16 March 2009 - 02:21 PM.

Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,

I have both an HR20 and an HR10 Hi-Def Tivo on my account. I'm trying to bring down my monthly DirecTV bill. If I cancel HD service through DirecTV:

2) If not, can I still view OTA local HD on it?
3) Will I still be able to view OTA local HD on the HR10?

Thanks.

I'd just call and cancel the HD service and see what they say. You can always re-instate it.

My guess is you will be able to do all the above if they let you keep the HR20, because they currently have no way of keeping channels you don't get out of the GUIDE. I'm not sure about the HR10, tho. You may not be able to "find" the OTA channels in the GUIDE, but you will probably be able to tune to them LIVE and at minimum record them manually.

I'd call and cancel HD. Wait a couple of days and if you're not happy, call and say you didn't realize you'd lose your OTA HD, so please restart it. Be curious to know how you make out.

/steve
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

The HR10-250 can record OTA stations just fine without paying the HD fee, assuming it is a subscribed unit and you have DVR service active.

#5 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

The HR10-250 can record OTA stations just fine without paying the HD fee, assuming it is a subscribed unit and you have DVR service active.

Cool. So the "-1" channels continue to be listed in the GUIDE? /steve
/steve

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Typically they will want the HR20 back.

The only way to know for sure is to ask DIRECTV.

#7 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

Typically they will want the HR20 back.

The only way to know for sure is to ask DIRECTV.

I disagree. Especially if you tell them you just want to cancel HD 'til you're back on your feet financially. Otherwise it will cost them money to ship you a box to return the HR20 and send you out a new SD box.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. /steve
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Cool. So the "-1" channels continue to be listed in the GUIDE? /steve

That is correct.

#9 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

Actually DirectV is not requiring any boxes back if you just cancel the HD add on. They are going to the one box fits all. You can even go on line and cancel the HD add on service. Yes you still can get OTA HD stations and record them. Many of us on here have done this over time. This is on the HR20 which I do have and have done this. So if you want go on line and cancel the HD service and enjoy your OTA HD stations and record them.

#10 OFFLINE   techgirl

techgirl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

On the HR20, it is my understanding, from earlier posts, that you have to have the HD service to receive OTA channels. However, I don't believe that there is the same requirement on the HR10.

UPDATE - Here is the thread that I refer to: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=142097

#11 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

In any case, only DIRECTV can tell a customer how they are going to deal with it. Our reasoning and speculation (and even the equipment lease agreements) don't really make no nevermind.

#12 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

i think with the hr20 you will get a message (750) after a while on your ota channels,not sure about hr10,message 750 has to do with hd not purchaced.
hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#13 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

Hi all,

2) If not, can I still view OTA local HD on it?3) Will I still be able to view OTA local HD on the HR10?

Thanks.

Prior to release 0x407E I could get OTA HD on my H20-600. That release changed to require an HD subscription to get OTA HD.

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

If the HD receiver is leased HD access is required to remain on the account. So if he doesn't want to have HD service with a leased HD unit there's no reason for him to have it and will be requested to be returned. It's in their lease agreement you can read on the website.

Now I'm sure that with everything else someone else has had something removed and been fine. That being said I wouldn't count on someone else's getting around the system.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:42 AM

If the HD receiver is leased HD access is required to remain on the account. So if he doesn't want to have HD service with a leased HD unit there's no reason for him to have it and will be requested to be returned. It's in their lease agreement you can read on the website.

Now I'm sure that with everything else someone else has had something removed and been fine. That being said I wouldn't count on someone else's getting around the system.

Agree, reading about exceptions here does not make them the rule for everyone else.

#16 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

maybe you should just buy one of those new digltal converter boxes, and get your ota hd channels for free. of course after you pay the $60.00 then use your $40.00 coupon.

#17 OFFLINE   bjs188

bjs188

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

I switched to the family pack online and the HD access went away and I could not add it back online. I keep the HD Extra Pack (3 months free). My HR20 and HR21 would only output 480p on OTA channels. My HR10 worked fine.

After about a week, I called to get HD access back. While the rep was adding it, I lost the HD Extra Pack so the rep gave me 6 months free. After the HD access was back, my HR20 and HD21 would do 1080i again.

#18 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

maybe you should just buy one of those new digltal converter boxes, and get your ota hd channels for free.

While the new digital converter boxes will tune HD channels, they do NOT provide an HD picture.

spam firewall