Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Colorado Springs DTV HD locals

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

In Oct. 2008 DTV added HD locals to our market, all except for KRDO/13, the ABC local. After fruitless attempts to sway the station manager at KRDO I gave up and have been patiently waiting. I was told by the Mgr. at the station that Directv has not signed a contract for HD with KRDO even though DTV carries the SD feed. Well this past Sunday, DISH Network ran a full page ad in the paper touting that they now offer ALL network channels in Colorado Springs in HD. The add also stated "this is something you can't get with Directv" Its true, still no HD from KRDO!! My next door neighbor confirmed he now gets ALL locals in HD from his DISH Network. Come on DTV and KRDO, whats the big deal stalling this contract!!!!?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

In Oct. 2008 DTV added HD locals to our market, all except for KRDO/13, the ABC local. After fruitless attempts to sway the station manager at KRDO I gave up and have been patiently waiting. I was told by the Mgr. at the station that Directv has not signed a contract for HD with KRDO even though DTV carries the SD feed. Well this past Sunday, DISH Network ran a full page ad in the paper touting that they now offer ALL network channels in Colorado Springs in HD. The add also stated "this is something you can't get with Directv" Its true, still no HD from KRDO!! My next door neighbor confirmed he now gets ALL locals in HD from his DISH Network. Come on DTV and KRDO, whats the big deal stalling this contract!!!!?

Does anyone know what will happen on June 12th? Will D* customers lose KRDO or will they begin receiving the digital feed?

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

The June 12th analog TV cutoff should not affect your KRDO SD satellite feed. DirecTV may already be using a digital feed, like they do in most cities.

It's funny that Dish is making a big advertising issue because they carry KRDO's HDTV channel. In Seattle, Dish Network lost their rights to our local ABC feed (KOMO) due to a contract dispute with Fisher Broadcasting. And, of course, DirecTV is running all sorts of advertising to hammer home that Dish doesn't carry ABC here. Crazy.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

Also 13-1 the OTA digital signal works great. I live 10 miles north of Falcon and have problems with 5, 8, 13 & 21 all digital HD OTA (I do have and outdoor antenna). 11 is a bit weaker. It appears on my TV tuner but not on my HR-20s. I'd investigate the possibility of OTA for your KRDO issue.
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

#5 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

The June 12th analog TV cutoff should not affect your KRDO SD satellite feed. DirecTV may already be using a digital feed, like they do in most cities...

If D* is using KRDO's digital feed, wouldn't we be getting it in "HD" via the satellite? Right now, I have to switch to OTA (no AM21) to view ABC shows in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

If D* is using KRDO's digital feed, wouldn't we be getting it in "HD" via the satellite? Right now, I have to switch to OTA (no AM21) to view ABC shows in HD.

As told to me by the station manager at KRDO, DTV has a contract to rebroadcast the SD signal only. Broadcast the HD signal requires another contract which has not been agreed too.

#7 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

As told to me by the station manager at KRDO, DTV has a contract to rebroadcast the SD signal only. Broadcast the HD signal requires another contract which has not been agreed too.

Well that's not good.

I didn't know they'd have two signals after 6/12. I was hoping we'd get the digital/HD feed then :(

#8 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

OK, figured it out I think.

KRDO can request that D* "center-cut" the 16:9 digital to 4:3. Guess that's what we'll have to live with until they get a retransmission agreement signed :mad:

#9 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Digital does not mean HD. A number of the digital OTA channels in Denver are 4:3 and 480p.

#10 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

Digital does not mean HD. A number of the digital OTA channels in Denver are 4:3 and 480p.

Yeah, I know some stations broadcast in digital, but carry no HD programming; that's not the case here though.

KRDO is owned by NPG. The problem seems to be with them as none of the three ABC affiliates they own in D* local markets (Colorado Springs, El Paso & Palm Springs) are carried in HD.

I was just unaware of the "center-cut" clause for HD programming. Oh well.

#11 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

http://www.krdo.com/....asp?S=11778899

NEWSCHANNEL 13 - KRDO is pleased to announce we have come to an agreement with DirecTV for them to carry KRDO's high definition signal. Thursday morning at 4am KRDO will be added to DirecTV's HD tier. That means football fans on DirecTV will be able to watch the National Championship game in HD on Thursday evening.

"I'd like to thank all of our DirecTV viewers for their patience in resolving this situation and we sincerely hope you enjoy seeing all of the KRDO newscasts in HD along with all the great ABC programming", says KRDO General Manager Tim Larson.

DirecTV will begin airing KRDO in high definition early Thursday morning.

Finally!

#12 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

Glad to see it is settled. Been watching and have noticed the sound thru DTV is not DD. Other local channels have DD sound. Are other viewers experiencing this?

#13 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

Here We Go Again!!!!
On or about 1/7/2010 this was announced:
"NEWSCHANNEL 13 - KRDO is pleased to announce we have come to an agreement with DirecTV for them to carry KRDO's high definition signal. Thursday morning at 4am KRDO will be added to DirecTV's HD tier. That means football fans on DirecTV will be able to watch the National Championship game in HD on Thursday evening.

"I'd like to thank all of our DirecTV viewers for their patience in resolving this situation and we sincerely hope you enjoy seeing all of the KRDO newscasts in HD along with all the great ABC programming", says KRDO General Manager Tim Larson.

DirecTV will begin airing KRDO in high definition early Thursday morning."

NOW THIS:
"NewsChannel 13, DirecTV Negotiations Information
POSTED: 11:28 am MDT August 17, 2010

UPDATED: 11:45 am MDT August 19, 2010
KRDO NewsChannel 13, DirecTV
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- NEWSCHANNEL 13 and the DirecTV satellite service are negotiating a new satellite agreement. Unfortunately, the negotiations are currently at an impasse and the current contract expires on Monday, Aug. 23, 2010 at 1PM.

While our parent company, News-Press and Gazette Broadcasting, is continuing to negotiate in good faith, if you are a DirecTV subscriber, and we are unable to reach a new agreement with DirecTV, you will not be able to receive NEWSCHANNEL 13 newscasts or local ABC programming from the DirecTV satellite service after next Monday afternoon.

NEWSCHANNEL 13 will, of course, continue to be available to you free over the air, by cable, or by satellite from the Dish Network. Again, NEWSCHANNEL 13 will make every effort to avoid any disruption of our programming on DirecTV. We will keep you fully informed of the progress of the negotiations with DirecTV both on air and online at KRDO.com."

People in Southern Colorado with Directv will not have ABC for the foreseeable future. The HD contract was only signed in January of this year and now its is out of contract? The on-screen message from KRDO mentions DISH network still has the signal. Obviously the owners of KRDO dislike DTV as this is the 2nd time in 2 years since HD was available locally from DTV that KRDO is the only local station that does not have a contract with DTV.

#14 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Here We Go Again!!!!
On or about 1/7/2010 this was announced:
"NEWSCHANNEL 13 - KRDO is pleased to announce we have come to an agreement with DirecTV for them to carry KRDO's high definition signal. Thursday morning at 4am KRDO will be added to DirecTV's HD tier. That means football fans on DirecTV will be able to watch the National Championship game in HD on Thursday evening.

DirecTV will begin airing KRDO in high definition early Thursday morning."

NOW THIS:
"NewsChannel 13, DirecTV Negotiations Information
POSTED: 11:28 am MDT August 17, 2010

UPDATED: 11:45 am MDT August 19, 2010
KRDO NewsChannel 13, DirecTV
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- NEWSCHANNEL 13 and the DirecTV satellite service are negotiating a new satellite agreement. Unfortunately, the negotiations are currently at an impasse and the current contract expires on Monday, Aug. 23, 2010 at 1PM.

While our parent company, News-Press and Gazette Broadcasting, is continuing to negotiate in good faith, if you are a DirecTV subscriber, and we are unable to reach a new agreement with DirecTV, you will not be able to receive NEWSCHANNEL 13 newscasts or local ABC programming from the DirecTV satellite service after next Monday afternoon.

NEWSCHANNEL 13 will, of course, continue to be available to you free over the air, by cable, or by satellite from the Dish Network. Again, NEWSCHANNEL 13 will make every effort to avoid any disruption of our programming on DirecTV. We will keep you fully informed of the progress of the negotiations with DirecTV both on air and online at KRDO.com."

People in Southern Colorado with Directv will not have ABC for the foreseeable future. The HD contract was only signed in January of this year and now its is out of contract? The on-screen message from KRDO mentions DISH network still has the signal. Obviously the owners of KRDO dislike DTV as this is the 2nd time in 2 years since HD was available locally from DTV that KRDO is the only local station that does not have a contract with DTV.

Was too good to be true, I guess. Better fire up the AM21.

#15 OFFLINE   BBM3

BBM3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

KROD is just looking for a piece of the pie.
To compare themselves to dedicated worldwide "cable" channels CNN, ESPN etc. is insane.

If I where an advertiser on KROD I'd move on.
They should be paying DirecTv for the additional viewers they receive
and therefore the higher advertising rates they can ask for.

Instead of holding their local viewers hostage in an attempt to shake down DirecTv as a source of additional revenue
they should work on improving their programming and earn their viewers.

KROD does not need me and I do not need them.

Good riddance KROD. :nono2:

#16 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

KROD is just looking for a piece of the pie.
To compare themselves to dedicated worldwide "cable" channels CNN, ESPN etc. is insane.

If I where an advertiser on KROD I'd move on.
They should be paying DirecTv for the additional viewers they receive
and therefore the higher advertising rates they can ask for.

Instead of holding their local viewers hostage in an attempt to shake down DirecTv as a source of additional revenue
they should work on improving their programming and earn their viewers.

KROD does not need me and I do not need them.

Good riddance KROD. :nono2:

It's KRDO...not KROD.

So, you know what they're asking D* for...and it's unreasonable? I'm not "in the room" so I don't know.

KRDO is "holding local viewers hostage"? When one can install a quality antenna for a one time cost, and receive a lifetime of free OTA service.

Or, get cable. When you have choices...you may not like them...but your not a hostage either.

D* makes money reselling/creating channels. This is just part of the process of both parties coming to a mutually beneficial agreement.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#17 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

http://www.krdo.com/...899/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- KRDO NEWSCHANNEL 13 is pleased to announce an agreement to keep KRDO NEWSCHANNEL 13 on DIRECTV. An agreement was reached Wednesday. The two companies are happy to be able to continue to serve Southern Colorado viewers with the best in News, Entertainment and Sports programming.

KRDO General Manager Tim Larson said, "We appreciate the support we have received from many viewers over the past few weeks during the negotiations. We are happy to be able to continue to provide our signal to them through DIRECTV".

KRDO NEWSCHANNEL 13 can be seen on DIRECTV on Channel 13.

spam firewall