Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR23 Memory leek?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   highbar

highbar

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

I have noticed that my HR23 gets progressively slower to change channels and browse the guide over several days of use. To the point that it takes 15-20 seconds to change channels. DOD use seems to make it worse. The only way to fix it is to power reset.

Is anyone else seeing this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

This has been a regular issue for the past couple of years with all the HD DVR's. In my experience with the HR21, it has gotten a little better but other times it can be excruciatingly slow.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

It's time for DTV implement same 'feature' in FW as Dish did - one mandatory restart per 24 hours, user can select exactly time for do that.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

I use memory leeks when I'm cooking.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

It's time for DTV implement same 'feature' in FW as Dish did - one mandatory restart per 24 hours, user can select exactly time for do that.

Now that is just plain wrong if you have to do something like that. Very sloppy "fix" to some problem.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

I know ... That's was my first words when Dish implemented it a few years ago. Well, but it current solution for sloppy coding.

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

I work in the gaming industry and I see stuff like this all the time. Developers say thats the fix but its really a work around. Its really sad to. I hate telling people its fixed when they very well will see the same thing again.

#8 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

They smell kinda like onions, right? :D

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

Now that is just plain wrong if you have to do something like that. Very sloppy "fix" to some problem.

I know ... That's was my first words when Dish implemented it a few years ago. Well, but it current solution for sloppy coding.

You know thats rather funny and sad.

Funny that no one at Dish or Dish fans mentions the need to reboot the box on a regular basis when bragging about the quality of their hardware/software in comparison to other providers.

Sad that they have to resort to doing so to keep things "stable".
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

I only use them when cooking "brain-food".:lol:

And yes, in my experience using any of the network features causes a drastic slowdown in operation, and many times requires a reboot to get the unit out of a frozen condition.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

I've been rebooting ALL my Windoes PC's since 1991 and I'm still wating on a fix from Bill gates (blue screen of death) :hurah:

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

I've been rebooting ALL my Windoes PC's since 1991 and I'm still wating on a fix from Bill gates (blue screen of death) :hurah:

Some ppl start doing that a little early - in 80s, before Windows - for MS-DOS ;).

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

My MSDOS computers were always rock solid. Still running one (really, no windoze of any type, 5 MB hard drive. Just keeps trucking.)

Edit: To clarify, I have many windows machines. But I still have one DOS only machine that works great.

spam firewall