Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Having my HDTV Calibrated

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:28 PM

I know this belongs in the HDTV forum, I will move it there in a few days, but I wanted to share my excitement!

This weekend renowned Calibrationist Gregg Loewen (and now ISF certified) will be coming to Connecticut to perform his magic on my Toshibia TW40X81 HD Set!

I first read about Gregg's Magic over the the Home Theater Forums Website (Click to read about the Magic Gregg works) When I found out his specialty was Toshiba HD units I emailed Gregg and told him I wanted his services. Would you believe this guy is so good he has months of work scheduled in advance?

I have gone through my set and tweeked it with both AVIA and Video Essentials and got what I think is a really good picture. Others who have had Gregg work on their sets have done the same thing, and all say that the AVAI/VE picture was nothing compaired to what Gregg had their picture looking like when he left.

I am also hopefull that Gregg will "restack" my screen, this means (from what i understand) he will take the protective screen (which has tons of glare) and move it to the back this way I see no more glare and also get a much better picture.

While I am really really excited to have him work on my set, the ultimate judge on Greggs work will be my wife, who considers HDTV just "pictures and words" if he can WOW her he can wow anyone!

I have email Gregg and asked him to join us over here at DBStalk, I know he is busy but perhaps he can answer some questions for us.

I plan on taking some pictures and notes (if its ok with Greg) and show you some of the work he did on my set. Because I am not big on how these things work (I just plug them in and expect them to work) my report wont be too detailed so rest assured most of his secrects will be safe.

While Gregg is now ISF certified I am told that his work goes way beyond what a normal ISF calibration give you.

I am excited and can't wait to watch him perform his magic.

Scott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 05:32 AM

Wow, that sounds cool Scott. Did he give you any idea when he is going to do it ?
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 06:55 AM

At the moment some time this weekend. Gregg stopped by here at DBStalk.COM last night and posted to the HDTV area. Good to see him here.

I am still hoping (HINT HINT) that he explains a little bit of what he does.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 06:56 AM

Sounds great! I have been looking into getting my set ISF calibrated and will be very interested in your results.

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 07:09 AM

Gregg's work is far and above what a normal ISF calibration normaly is.

Some of the things Greg does in his work is...

Mechanical disabling of SVM
Protective screen removal (or screen restacking)
Cleaning of optics and mirror
Adjustment of overscan
Image centering
Geometry adjustment
Convergence
Electronic focus
Mechanical focus
Herman TLV Manuvuer
Front panel adjustment of user controls
Grey scale adjustment to 6500D K
Lense Stripping

Usual ISF work usualy only does Geometry Adjustment, Convergence and Grey Scale Adjustment to 6500D K. Most ISF will not even put a screwdriver to your set.

Gregg does occational do "group calibrations" where a group of people put up for his airfair and hotel costs to get him to a certain area then he does his magic to their sets.

Greg is considered one of the top Calibrationists in the US today. Which is why I am so excited about him coming to work on my set.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 08:53 AM

I just got a call from Gregg, he will be over on Sunday Morning at 10am. I can't wait for him to work his magic!

Does anyone have any questions that maybe I can ask him?

Since Gregg is now a member of the forum perhaps he can even answer him here.

Again I plan on taking some photos showing his handywork!

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 04:04 PM

Gregg arrived this morning at my house promptly at 10 am and has completed his work on my Toshiba HD set!

Now that hes done all's that I can say is WOW!

I didn't think my set could do pictures this glorious. Everything almost looks 3D now! I am suprised to say that DVD's look almost as good (if not better) then any HDTV programming I have seen on HBO HD. Although with that being said the pictures on the Dish Network HD Demo channel now appear as though I am looking out my window!

I am happy (and very excited) to say that Gregg was able to Eliminate all the glare from my screen by restacking the screen. I can now watch TV with no problem with the shades open and all the lights on!

I plan on doing a full writeup with photos, but at the moment my family and I are going to sit down and watch A.I.

If you have the ability to have Gregg Loewen to come to your house to calibrate your set, jump on the chance!

Again more details later!

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 07:55 AM

That sounds fantastic, Scott! Looking forward to reading about everything that he did!
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:04 AM

HI guys,

Scott, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family.

Scott's set was extremely blue in color, and the temps were 2-3 times as high as they should be. Focus was not great, as was the convergence.

We watched some of Pearl Harbour which I have only previously viewed from my laptop while flying to LA. The sound was awesome. I will definitely be watching it again in my home theater.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

www.greggloewen.com

I gave the set the "full meal deal", which used to take me around 8 hours. I have it down to about 4-5 hours now. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk, Greg! Any plans to come to the Denver area?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 11:34 AM

Hi Greg! I know for a fact that my Toshiba 56" is out of alignment especially in mechanical focus but I'm too chicken to open it up and start messing with it.

Any plans on coming to South Texas?

Thanks for visiting DBSTalk!

#12 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 09:52 PM

Mark and Chris,

I will go anywhere. Basically I need at least 4 calibrations and my flight covered. I try to fly with Saturday nite stay overs to keep the costs down. Email if your serious and we can start to make some plans.

My website is in beta right now www.greggloewen.com/test

it will be active by the week's end, www.greggloewen.com and will have pricing info etc on it.

Regards
Gregg Loewen
Video Calibrationist
gloewen@starband.net

'

spam firewall