Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C-SPAN2 picture dim

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

Anyone notice that C-SPAN2 picture isn't bright. All my transponders read in the 90 range.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

I have noticed the few times I tune to the C-SPANs that they are dimmer than other SD channels.

TP strength has nothing to do with it.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

I actually watch the senate and book tv on a regular basis and yes the white level is very low, VERY LOW.

I have seen C SPAN 2 on other providers and the pic matches the brightness of C SPAN 1.

This is a head end problem at D*.

I will e mail them about this. It is very annoying to watch this way. Your eyes tend to strain and if you turn the brightness up on your own tv the other channels are washed out.

#4 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

I have sent an e mail to the Engineering department concerning this issue. I've worked at a TV station in master control/engineering, and occasionally adjustments must be made to video levels to provide proper NTSC/ATSC picture standards. It should be a fairly simple and quick proceedure.

I also informed the Engineering Dept. that QVC, and Comedy Central have similar issues as well.

#5 OFFLINE   JmC

JmC

Jagannatha

• DBSTalk Club
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Dim Witted and lacking Brightness. The problem is the video source.
Jim

BOCTAOE
YSLE

#6 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Actually as I noted in a previous post it is NOT the origin video feed, it is the delivery from D* as far as the viewer is concerned. I have viewed all these channels on other providers and the video levels are correct.

Granted only CSPAN 2 and QVC stand out as being especially out of standard but nonetheless the problem should be corrected on all.

Edited by dubber deux, 28 March 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Update...

I have scanned the SD channels and have found a number of feeds that are slightly out of NTSC/ATSC video level standards.

They include:

1) C-SPAN 2 (low white and black levels)

2) QVC (low white levels, excessive color saturation?)

3) TLC (insufficient black level)

4) Comedy Central (insufficent black level)

5) Chiller (insufficient black level)

There are a few other channels that are out of spec and are borderline, but most viewers wouldn't notice the difference and it would be nit picking considering how many things D* must keep track of and maintain.

Again, as far as I can tell the point of origin is not the problem, as a couple of other providers have good vid levels on these program providers.

I have some experience with video engineering during my time at a local NBC affiliate and learned to be sensitive to these levels and their importance, it's the difference between excellent pic quality that "pops", and so so that looks much worse than the scope and the numbers would leave you to believe.

I have found the correct location to contact ,DirecTV Castle Rock Broadcast center in Colorado, and I will be contacting them by phone and snail mail.

If you want more information PM me.

I will update from time to time.

#8 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Juat wanted to post a brief update.

I have attempted to contact the programming suppliers to D* directly. Perhaps I might receive a better result.

I will continue to let all know about SD picture quality issues.

#9 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

I also was able to dig this info up

DirecTV (LA Broadcast Center) 12800 Culver Blvd LA, CA.

I have a phone number too. If you want it PM me.

I'm going to try calling them directly. Wish me luck.

#10 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

I created a new thread about SD channel video level issues in the "D* General Discussion" forums. Check it out.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=157062

#11 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

Bumping this for D* LABC engineers BOC for proof of a number of customers seeing the same thing I have.

#12 OFFLINE   SatliteHD

SatliteHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

Bumping this for D* LABC engineers BOC for proof of a number of customers seeing the same thing I have.

C-span 2 is horrible!

#13 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

C-span 2 is horrible!

Bump for engineers at LABC BOC.

I've seen C SPAN 2 on Charter Greenville SC, and QVC on both Charter and Northland Cable and the video levels are MUCH better.

D* this needs attention.

#14 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

Being a old broadcast television engineer, I put together two images that accurately show the video levels for both CSPN and CSPN2 as received on DirecTV channels 350 and 351 this morning, May 17, 2009. I used the Adobe Priemere Pro CS3 YC video waveform scope to monitor the output of my DirecTV HR20 receiver's HDMI output set to 1080i and captured with my Decklink HD Extreme video card. It shows CSPN at 86 IRE and CSPN2 at 60 IRE. The spec is 100 IRE. Hopefully both CSPN and DirecTV uplink engineers check these out.

Attached Thumbnails

• CSPN-1.jpg
  • CSPN-2.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Being a old broadcast television engineer, I put together two images that accurately show the video levels for both CSPN and CSPN2 as received on DirecTV channels 350 and 351 this morning, May 17, 2009. I used the Adobe Priemere Pro CS3 YC video waveform scope to monitor the output of my DirecTV HR20 receiver's HDMI output set to 1080i and captured with my Decklink HD Extreme video card. It shows CSPN at 86 IRE and CSPN2 at 60 IRE. The spec is 100 IRE. Hopefully both CSPN and DirecTV uplink engineers check these out.

Wow thank you thank you thank you w6fxj!!!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!!

I will be sending a link to this page to ellen.filipiak@directv.com

A number of other channels are out of NTSC spec as well Comedy Central, QVC, TLC, Chiller, LINK TV .......

Edited by dubber deux, 23 May 2009 - 04:28 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

Wow thank you thank you thank you w6fxj!!!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!!

I will be sending a link to this page to ellen.filipaik@directv.com

A number of other channels are out of NTSC spec as well Comedy Central, QVC, TLC, Chiller, LINK TV .......

I'd suggest using your contacts in the BOC department (whatever that is) since they're know what this means and the CSRs in Ellen's office probably won't.

#17 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'd suggest using your contacts in the BOC department (whatever that is) since they're know what this means and the CSRs in Ellen's office probably won't.

(BOC) Broadcast Operations Center, part of (LABC) Los Angeles Broadcast Center.

I'm certainly going to give it a try. I was also trying to allow D* chain of command to do its job.

#18 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

E mail sent to the BOC manager. Will update when I receive a reply.

#19 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I e mailed my internal contact and have heard nothing in reply. I ain't going away D*. At least it would be professional if they would offer somekind of reply to my query.

#20 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

I do hope your requests get answered. I agree that video levels on the standard def channels need some work.

spam firewall