Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Denver: KUSA Goes All-Digital on 4/16

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

There are 2 stations in Denver that will need to "flash cut" their analog signal to start using their final digital signal. KUSA (ch 9-16-9, NBC) has decided to make that cut on 4/16. The idea was to have all Colorado stations make the same flash cut at the same time so call centers can help everyone at the same time. So far there has been no word from the other Denver flash-cut station, KMGH, (ch 7-17-7, ABC).

Both stations have a weak temporary digital signal, KUSA by choice, KMGH by accident, and viewers wonder why they have trouble receiving them. Both stations are also hard-pressed to keep paying $4,000 a month in extra electric bills. Everybody else will keep their analog on until June.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

KMGH also announced They will flash cut on 4/16. KCNC (CBS) is already at full digital power on channel 35 and will leave analog channel 4 on until June, and possibly later as a nightlight.

KBDI is going digital on channel 13 and will have to wait for KRDO in Colorado Springs to kill their analog in June.

More details here:

http://www.avsforum....45#post16064045

#3 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

Phil and Bill,
Thanks for posting this info. I'm helping my Mom with the transition via long distance. She can receive analog channels 7 and 9 just fine, but is having trouble with the digital UHF signals. I keep telling her: watch the analog for now... it should be fine after the transition when the digitals move to their VHF frequencies. I wasn't aware they would switch in April.

By the way Bill, do you work in radio? Do we know each other?? I used to be the CE at KIMN/KYGO back in the early 80's.

Thanks again for the info!

#4 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hi Scott,
Yes, I was with the J-P stations until 2007...a 20+ year run. I've been w/Ch 9 since 1994.

Phil,
KBDI has already dumped their analog. The antenna broke and they decided not to fix it. Squaw Mtn is a rough environment.

Fortunately, both channel 7 and 9 got permits to increase final digital signal power, so they should be acceptable to most viewers.

#5 OFFLINE   jdeitchler

jdeitchler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

Anyone having trouble getting KUSA this morning (04/09/2009 @ 0715 MDT) OTA?

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

I just saw this thread, yes they were. the digital transmitter was off the air. This did tell me that DirecTV has a fiber feed from KUSA as I turned on the DVR and the full HD signal was there.
My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...