Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP 722 DVR use???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   moreira85

moreira85

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

i have the VIP722 and works great. i have one box and two TVS that is hooked up too. If i find a program i want to record i just dvr it.
Here is the problem, I will be watching a show and the wife has a showed that she has programed to be recorded and the channel changes to her channel to her show and I cant switch back to my station without stopping her recording?
How do i solve this issue? i thought you could record 3 shows at one time while watching a different channel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

:welcome_s

You have two satellite tuners and one off-the-air tuner (OTA). The best you can do is record two and watch one live. You can record three and watch a recording. If you don't have OTA, then it drops by one.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

The 722 only has 2 sat tuners, shared between 2 TVs. If you are recording on both sat tuners, then you don't have a 3rd sat tuner to watch live programming.

The "3rd Tuner" is the OTA ATSC tuner, so if you've got an antenna hooked up, you can watch (or record) a show on one of your local digital broadcast channels. The OTA tuner is only available on the TV1 for live viewing, though recordings from that tuner are available on both TVs.

#4 OFFLINE   moreira85

moreira85

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

so to get this straight I can record 2 channels at the same time but cant watch a separate channel while those 2 are recording. correct?
I can record 2 at the same time but will have to watch one of the 2 stations that are recording.

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

If you don't have OTA that is correct. You can however watch a recorded show at the same time two other shows are recording. Most people with DVRs start to develop a habit of watching the recorded material when possible.

Welcome to DBSTalk. I would suggest checking out the tips and tricks section at the top of the Sticky. Should have some useful links there.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Most people with DVRs start to develop a habit of watching the recorded material when possible.

Without a doubt! I refuse to watch live TV. If I have a show that is recording, I'll not watch it until it's done recording, and will watch something else in the meantime. I hate not having full control.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

Without a doubt! I refuse to watch live TV. If I have a show that is recording, I'll not watch it until it's done recording, and will watch something else in the meantime. I hate not having full control.

:lol:

We DVR control freaks rarely watch anything live except a life-threatening breaking news story. Our daily "prime time" runs from about 6 to 10 and we frequently chew up over 5 hours of TV shows commercial skipping. Tonight we watched:

Brothers & Sisters from Sunday
The Unit from Sunday
Lie to Me from tonight
Life from tonight
How I Met Your Mother from Monday
Daily Show from last night

Ran beyond 10 a little. But yep, we're control freaks. Of course, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming how much we record. But in our house we not only time or day shift, we season shift some fall and winter shows so when the schedule get's thin we have things to watch.;)

spam firewall