Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else annoyed by CBS score banner?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dan9960

dan9960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

I know it's not a DirecTV issue, but I'm watching March Madness and CBS has the score banner plastered 1/4 the way down the screen. Plus it's got a black background with bright red trim. I'm trying to watch the game, not look at a bunch of graphics that block the action. If they have to have the scores at the top, why can't they start at the top of the screen? It really comes into play when they are at the free throw line or shooting a high arcing three. The ball disappears behind the graphic. Does this bother anybody else?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joebbaseball

joebbaseball

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

I have a problem with it. Though I have a problem with this stuff as a whole. There is just to much going on. Guess I'm getting old!
Joe

#3 OFFLINE   dan9960

dan9960

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

lol, if old means you wanna watch the game without all the clutter, then so be it!

#4 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Yes,I think it's kind of annoying too.It does distract you from the game a bit.I've seen worse,the old ESPN2 when it shrunk the screen and had a sports ticker at the bottom.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#5 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Though I have a problem with this stuff as a whole.

Me too. Though no more with this one than others.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#6 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

Haven't seen the EYE stuck in the middle of the screen at least.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#7 OFFLINE   repulski

repulski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

They have had the same banner for years.

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

I also do not like the banners on any channels. However, I see no reason why the top and bottom banners here can't be located closer to the edge. Yeah, I know they are protecting for 4:3 and overscan on analog sets, but these are obtrusive. I find the bottom one more so since it covers the floor. The top one is mostly in the spectators.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

I see no reason why the top and bottom banners here can't be located closer to the edge.

Well,

I know they are protecting for 4:3 and overscan on analog sets

that's why.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:42 AM

I hardly notice them. I'm kind of a "different" bball viewer. I rarely watch the ball handler, and I usually focus on everything away from the ball (screens, cuts, positioning, etc). Score banners never bother me.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

I'd like to see the score shown on the screen momentarily and then disappear without any other graphics. And then during clock stops put the junk up there until the ball is inbounded. Once it is inbounded I'd like the clear screen back. That way the picture would be all about the game. But, I do also realize that we are in an information overloaded age, and it probably will never happen.

On Wisconsin!
Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#12 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

As someone who dislikes most tickers, I don't really mind what CBS does for the tournament. While the scores are in an "up-front" area, it really doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's because I really want to keep up with other games, or it could be that since it doesn't scroll/flip/roll/somersault, I don't find it as distracting.

I really LOATHE ESPN banners. They're big, bright, and feature to much movement. I have a hard time tuning it out. While attempting to watch a game, ESPN is busy waving their arms trying to get me to notice them with all the motion and colors at the bottom of the screen.

#13 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

Count me in the camp that can't stand "graphics overload" in general. I don't know why the CBS ticker can't be confined to one part of the screen, or even go back to being "transparent" as it used to be.

ESPN is the worst offender, I swear 30% of the screen is gone on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL broadcasts between its MNF banner, the score graphic, and an additional overlay that shows up.

When will these corporations realize people want honest to goodness, unadulterated PICTURE on their HDTVs...why did we even make the jump from SD to begin with if all they're doing is adding more clutter?

#14 OFFLINE   liverpool

liverpool

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

The beauty of having a projector is you can make the image larger and lose all the junk around the edges.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

ESPN is the worst offender, I swear 30% of the screen is gone on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL broadcasts between its MNF banner, the score graphic, and an additional overlay that shows up.

The worst part is that when ESPN introduced the new MNF graphics this past season, they claimed that they were "giving the screen back to the viewer." :nono:

#16 OFFLINE   ruthiesea

ruthiesea

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

It's not just sports. During the First Gulf War I wrote emails to all the major news networks. They would say that they were going to show such and such. Instead, vewers watched the sky as the action at the bottom was covered by the graphics. Local news and sports does the same thing, although it's not as bad as the nationals.

All I can say is that these people don't watch their own shows.

Thank you for letting me vent! now I can stop :bang!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Robert J. Hanlon

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Watched the Villanova - American game yesterday on the computer as the game wasn't shown locally and I didn't want to spring for DirecTV's March Madness package. No banner on top. Easy to switch between games, except during commercials, when the switch button was grayed out -- neat trick :sure:

Villanova meets UCLA tomorrow and the game will be on the local CBS outlet.

But no, the extra banner at the top doesn't bother me.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

Doesn't bother me. I actually like being able to glance up and keep tabs on the other games. During actual game action I don't even notice the tickers.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#19 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

lol, if old means you wanna watch the game without all the clutter, then so be it!

"hey u kids get off my lawn !" :mad:

#20 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

It's not just sports. During the First Gulf War I wrote emails to all the major news networks. They would say that they were going to show such and such. Instead, vewers watched the sky as the action at the bottom was covered by the graphics. Local news and sports does the same thing, although it's not as bad as the nationals.

All I can say is that these people don't watch their own shows.

Thank you for letting me vent! now I can stop :bang!

They should put a "body count" ticker up showing the score for each side so we can keep track of who was winning.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...