Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Modem to PS3 wirelessly; PS3 to HR22 wired?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Is this even possible? I'm a networking newb.

I have a PS3 connected wirelessly. I haven't sprung for a bridge/adapter nor a router to DD-WRT yet. Can I take an ethernet cable and connect it from my PS3 to my HR22 which is 2 feet away? I know the HR22 has a daisy chain but is ethernet treated as strictly in or out? Is the back of the PS3 in only?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

My guess would be no. Your PS3 isn't a router.
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#3 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

Neither is the HR22 but it can do it. Maybe some sort of hardware is required?

#4 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

By doing this are you just trying to have the ps3 and hr22 see each other. If so, then I think it may work ( except I don't know what you will be able to achieve). But if you are trying to have the HR22 go to the internet via the PS3 ( i.e use the PS3 as an Access Point), then that wont be possible.

#5 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

Well yes, my main reason was for the HR22 to benefit from the PS3's received internet signal from WiFi via ethernet cable. I know you can do the opposite since the HR22 has a daisy chain feature to give other machines like the PS3, Xbox360, BD player internet access. I wanted to know if the PS3 could do the same.

#6 OFFLINE   408SJC

408SJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

I just noticed the other day that my ps3 is broadcasting a SSID with WPA2 encryp, that I don't remember setting up. It is connected by cat6, i haven't tried connecting a computer to it but if it were to send internet wirelessly then maybe it could via the ethernet

#7 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,567 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

Neither is the HR22 but it can do it.

The HR22 includes a bridge and the PS3 does not. You might be able to daisy chain if you connect the wireless adapter to the HR22 but no promises.

#8 OFFLINE   CR125Honda

CR125Honda

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

Great idea! Please post a "how to" if you can get this working.

I have the same equipment (PS3 and HR22) in our family room.

PS3 is hooked up to my home secure wireless network.

I have two HR22's and am looking for the least expensive way to use a wireless hook up and receive DTV Video on Demand.

#9 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have a wireless AP that has the HR20, PS3, my HTPC etc all wired into it. Maybe you can get one of these cheap ones on sale right now:

http://forums.slickd...d.php?t=1254623

#10 OFFLINE   CR125Honda

CR125Honda

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

I am not that knowledgeable on the subject but your thread states you have a wireless AP (access point).

The link refers to wireless routers. I'm assuming there is a difference (that a router can not be used as an access point).

I've also read about wireless bridges, wireless music bridges, print servers, along with access points and gaming adapters.

Can you be more specific on the equipment you have and/or which piece you are referring to?

I'm trying to school myself on the subject.

#11 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Now that you have asked, let me be more specific :)

I am using a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 ( a full-fledged router) that I have flashed with dd-wrt ( open source firmware that gives you a lot of options to customize) and use it in whats called "Wireless Repeater bridge". I have another wireless router WHR-G125 which is connected to my cable modem, and serves as the main AP. What "Wireless Repeater bridge" means is that it allows devices hooked into its wired ports to bridge with the network on the other side of the HP-G54 ( so all devices on the g125, hp-g54, and any wireless clients connected to them will all appear as if on one network), and also repeats the wireless signal from the main Access Point (G125). The good thing about the repeater is that now you have extended the signal of your wireless network and your laptop for example can seamless connect to the closest wireless repeater. I have the HR20, PS3, HTPC then wired into the HP-G54.
Wrt what device to buy, At the cheap enough prices of the routers today, I will suggest to always get a router, because even with the stock firmware that comes with them, I think most current routers will let you set it up as a "wireless bridge" at the least, even if it doesn't give you the repeater functionality. And this way you always have an extra router in case your main one goes bad. I have 2 HR-20s in 2 different rooms, and each one's connected to a HP-G54 as mentioned above.

Hopefully that was more clearer. I may not be 100% correct with my terms above and what they mean, but I think they are practically close enough for the common use case.

#12 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

No you can't share the internet from your PS3 and 408SJC the SSID your seeing is only for PSP connectivity.

spam firewall