Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FIOS STB improved? Compare with Dish?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cornflakes

cornflakes

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

Hi all, about half a year ago I read that the FIOS's HD STB connected to the multi-room DVR is not very responsive, or slow to response. i.e. fast forwarding through a show, when you hit play again, it delays by several seconds before the "play" is registered, so you end up blasting through past where you wanted to stop.

Has this been improved? I'm considering FIOS and the equipment has been the biggest deterrent for me. I currently have E* VIP 622 and it has been the best DVR/STB I have ever used. How do they compare with each other?

Thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

I would be interested in an answer to this as well. I, too, have Dish (two 622s and a 501), but I also have FIOS for phone and Internet. If I could get whole house service with a DVR as good as the 622, it would probably save me $50-75 a month. But the last I heard, the DVRs were crap.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#3 OFFLINE   steelhorse

steelhorse

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Well I just went to fios from Dish this monday. I had two 622 boxes and now I have one multiroom dvr and a single dvr from verizon.
There is no delay problem I have noticed so far. Channel changes are instant and response is instant. Faster than the 622.
The dvr is not as nice as the 622, gui is different, may be as nice after I get used to it. They charge too much to lease the box, not much I can do about that. I like the service the pq is great, the hd offerings are tremendous.

#4 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

So you only have two TVs? Do you have the multi-room DVR hooked up to another set? As I understood it, in the past you could not watch HD content recorded on the main DVR on another set at all. Unlike Dish boxes, that down-rezzed for output to the coax. So if you wanted to be sure you could watch a show anywhere, you had to record it twice - once in HD and again in SD. Sort of defeats the purpose of a multi-room DVR. It was idiotic decisions like that which turned me off FIOS TV right from the git-go.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

spam firewall