Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why are there two ethernet ports on R22?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Struff

Struff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

You can't use one to add something else into the network, can you? (i.e. one port going to the router and the other port going to a different device?)

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

You can't use one to add something else into the network, can you? (i.e. one port going to the router and the other port going to a different device?)

Thanks.

It's a built in hub/passthru for a second piece of equipment you can connect.

For example into the HRx series IRd, then out to an xbox....

#3 OFFLINE   Struff

Struff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

That's exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

Note: Internet to DVR goes in the top port. The bottom port supports the additional device.

#5 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I know this is an old thread, but this seemed like the best thread to ask my question without cluttering up with a new thread.  Has anyone had issues with the pass-through port on their R22?  Specifically, I have an R22-100 and I am trying to connect my blu-ray player up to my network using the ethernet port on the back of my receiver.  I have tried both top and bottom and nothing works.  Any ideas?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

I know this is an old thread, but this seemed like the best thread to ask my question without cluttering up with a new thread.  Has anyone had issues with the pass-through port on their R22?  Specifically, I have an R22-100 and I am trying to connect my blu-ray player up to my network using the ethernet port on the back of my receiver.  I have tried both top and bottom and nothing works.  Any ideas?

Is your R22 connected to the internet? if so, how?

Note that is not advisable to use the second port as a pass-through as the R22 will use CPU cycles since the R22 does not have a built in switch 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Is your R22 connected to the internet? if so, how?

Note that is not advisable to use the second port as a pass-through as the R22 will use CPU cycles since the R22 does not have a built in switch 

Yes, my R22 is connected to the internet.  The LAN at my home is fine and uses DHCP for addressing. No other devices, wireless or wired, have any issues.  I have the line from a switch plugged into the top port; recommended on other threads.  I then have my blu-ray player plugged into the bottom port.  My R22 gets its DHCP address fine and when doing the built-in tests connects fine to the internet.  My blu-ray player does not get an IP address and cannot communicate on the LAN or out to the internet.  

Interesting note about it not being a true switch.  I'll keep that in mind.  But that shouldn't keep the pass-through from working, right?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I have the line from a switch plugged into the top port; recommended on other threads.  

If you already have an ethernet cable there, why not get another switch instead of using the R22 pass through.  your R22 may suffer as it will use CPU to "route" traffic.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

If you already have an ethernet cable there, why not get another switch instead of using the R22 pass through.  your R22 may suffer as it will use CPU to "route" traffic.

I only have 1 network drop at that location. I was trying to avoid buying a switch or running another drop.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

I only have 1 network drop at that location. I was trying to avoid buying a switch or running another drop.

it seems to me those are your only options.  Perhaps DirecTV remove the pass through "feature".  I don't have an R22 so I can't test that "theory"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Pass through on the r22 should not be used. I'd get a bigger switch if the one you have doesn't have enough ports.

#12 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

A switch is perfect and would eliminate all the mess. You can get a good for for just $10 bucks. A basic 5-port switch needs just one network line and lets you feed 4 devices (DVD internet players, game consoles, internet TVs, etc.)

I have 3 of these around my home:

http://www.amazon.co...=network switch

But others are available as well.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, All Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, WOW (Knology) Cable = Internet & Phone Only,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#13 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

I appreciate all of the helpful advice.  But I guess it gets back to the question of the original poster.  If it doesn't work and/or it shouldn't be used, then why is it there?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

I appreciate all of the helpful advice.  But I guess it gets back to the question of the original poster.  If it doesn't work and/or it shouldn't be used, then why is it there?

My guess is that Perhaps DirecTV remove the pass through "feature"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...