Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aspect ratio issues after moving tv from TV1 to TV2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mthhurley

mthhurley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

I have a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD (1080i) that has been our TV1 for a couple of years...no issues, looked fine. TV2, up in our bedroom, was an old 27" standard tube set. We just upgraded to a 50" plasma, so everything rotated...out went the tube, the 32" Sharp went upstairs to become TV2, and the plasma is now TV1.

TV1 is great.... :)

However, the Sharp on TV2 doesn't look right from an aspect ratio perspective (and it was fine when it was TV2). On full screen channels, the top and bottom 1/2" or so of the screen is too big for the display. For example, the CNN banner on the bottom of the screen is mostly cut off and on ABC, the logo is cut in half.

I've checked the settings on the VIP722 and it's set for 16:9.
TV2 gets its' signal now by coax and was previously HDMI as TV1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

#2 OFFLINE   Big C

Big C

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

I would check the tv2 output setting on the 722, it sounds like it is in zoom and then check the Sharp picture size setting.

#3 OFFLINE   JackDobiash

JackDobiash

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

Are you single or Dual mode? In Dual Mode, TV2 is restricted to a 4x3 picture so you'll have to adjust your TV to match that. In Single Mode it matches whatever TV1 is set to.

Being able to control TV2's aspect ratio is a feature we'd all like to have added. :)
ViP622 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Sony KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (20GB)
ViP722 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Samsung HL61A750 61" LED DLP RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (60GB)
Programming - Americas Everything Pak + Portland Locals, HD + Platinum, DHPP (Service)
DishNetwork Customer since 1998

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Your HD tv is now an SD TV. TV2 is SD only and has different Aspect Ratio (Zoom) settings than TV1 does.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   Papa Midnight

Papa Midnight

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

As previously mentioned, unfortunately, the TV2 output is not ATSC or ClearQAM and is instead NTSC. Perhaps there will be an update which can convert this to a QAM output, but hey, I'm just dreaming...

spam firewall