Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDNET Movies- Gone???

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bananaheim

bananaheim

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

Has something happened to the HDNET Movies channel? It used to be on channel 78, but now it is gone. It is still listed on the Direct tv web site as part of the HD Extra Pack (which I subscribe to).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

It is on channel 552

And welcome to DBSTALK!

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

Has something happened to the HDNET Movies channel? It used to be on channel 78, but now it is gone. It is still listed on the Direct tv web site as part of the HD Extra Pack (which I subscribe to).

You'll find that all of the channels in the 70's are going away.

They are the old Mpeg2 HD channels. Each has been replaced by a new Mpeg4 HD version.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

All of the MPEG-2 channels have moved and are now MPEG-4. :)

Here are the new channels

ESPN-HD|206
ESPN2-HD|209
HD Theater|281
HDNet|306
TNT-HD|245
HBO (East)-HD|501
SHOWTIME (East)|537
HDNet Movies|552

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 23 March 2009 - 02:54 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   DarkSkies

DarkSkies

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

And to expand further, you can only view MPEG4 channels with the newer satellite dishes and receivers, so if you are using "legacy" MPEG2 equipment you may want to call DIRECTV to find out options for upgrading.

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Oh, and if you can't get channel 552 it's time to move into the 21st Century and get a new HD receiver from DirecTV.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   DarkSkies

DarkSkies

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

P.S. If you have a DVR, the MPEG4 channels use up less disk space than the MPEG2 channels, so it's like your hard drive got "bigger" just by switching from recording the MPEG2 channels in the 70's to recording from the MPEG4 channels!

#8 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

Is that ch. 552
Directv since 1994

#9 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

It is on channel 552

And welcome to DBSTALK!

Is that ch. 552

Yes, read earlier post.

#10 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Oh, and if you can't get channel 552 it's time to move into the 21st Century and get a new HD receiver from DirecTV.

Or you could go way back into the 20th century where they had all of those ancient concepts like MRV, DLB, extraction to (HD-)DVD, recovering deleted shows, etc, etc, etc. My family has been thrilled since I recently replaced a HR20 & HR21 with a couple of HR10-250s.

#11 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,085 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

My family has been thrilled since I recently replaced a HR20 & HR21 with a couple of HR10-250s.

I'm sure they'll be even more thrilled to learn they can't watch any channels in HD . . . :lol:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#12 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

Or you could go way back into the 20th century where they had all of those ancient concepts like MRV, DLB, extraction to (HD-)DVD, recovering deleted shows, etc, etc, etc. My family has been thrilled since I recently replaced a HR20 & HR21 with a couple of HR10-250s.

What good is HD extraction, when you can't get any HD on it to extract? :lol: :confused:

Like having a really nice shiny new car with 1,500 H.P. and gets 4 miles to the gallon then you realize you can't buy fuel for it.......

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

I'm sorry, I don't understand. :scratchin

Doesn't that mean that you're going to wind up only getting OTA in HD and nothing else?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#14 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:36 AM

I'm sorry, I don't understand. :scratchin

Doesn't that mean that you're going to wind up only getting OTA in HD and nothing else?

Mike

That's right. For now, I've got all of the networks, including PBS & CW in HD OTA along with ESPN/ESPN2 in MPEG2 HD. If there was ever "a la carte" programming via any TV service that's probably exactly what I'd order. When ESPN & ESPN2 shut off it will suck, but until then I'm happy.

But it's nice to not have to listen to the wife complain about the HR20/21 anymore. The Tivo interface is probably the one electronic device that I've never had to give her one bit of instruction on. And MRV capability is the dealbreaker. I know "it's coming!" on the HR series, but I'll believe that when I see it.

#15 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

I'm sure they'll be even more thrilled to learn they can't watch any channels in HD . . . :lol:

My wife and kids don't seem to notice any difference at all between SD & HD shows. It's amazing to me, but my wife will sit there watching a movie on an SD channel, and when I flip it to the HD equivalent she claims to not notice a difference. That said, I just looked at my (pick one - "Season Passes"/"Series Links") list and of the 25 series that I'm currently recording, there is not a single one that I could get in HD on an HR2x that I can't get in HD on my HR10s. Basically, if it wasn't for our reliance on DVRs and the initial expense of purchasing multiple Tivo/HTPC/etc, mine would be an OTA only household.

#16 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

My wife and kids don't seem to notice any difference at all between SD & HD shows. It's amazing to me, but my wife will sit there watching a movie on an SD channel, and when I flip it to the HD equivalent she claims to not notice a difference. That said, I just looked at my (pick one - "Season Passes"/"Series Links") list and of the 25 series that I'm currently recording, there is not a single one that I could get in HD on an HR2x that I can't get in HD on my HR10s. Basically, if it wasn't for our reliance on DVRs and the initial expense of purchasing multiple Tivo/HTPC/etc, mine would be an OTA only household.

My wife claimed not to be able to tell the difference either when we were watching on a years old, HD-ready 56" Toshiba rear projection set. When I bought a 65" Mitsubishi DLP set last year, first thing she said was WOW!!!!!

She even prefers watching Blu-Ray discs, which she previously said were a waste of money since she "couldn't tell the difference"......

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

My wife claimed not to be able to tell the difference...when we were watching on an old, HD-ready 56" Toshiba rear projection set. When I bought a 65" Mitsubishi DLP set last year, first thing she said was WOW...

On the other hand, I would wager that she could easily identify and discern
the subtle differences between 'taupe', 'mauve' and 'plum'. Go figure! :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

On the other hand, I would wager that she could easily identify and discern
the subtle differences between 'taupe', 'mauve' and 'plum'. Go figure! :shrug:

Hmmmm....sound kind of familiar. :rolleyes: :lol:

Mike

µß

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Let's get back to topic, please.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...