Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony XBR6

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I personally have an XBR2 and could not be happier.:)

I finally talked my dad into replacing the first gen DLP as it was taking several minutes to power on. We looked at the Sony and Samsung LCD's. We decided ont he Sony because the screen had more of a matte finish and he has some glare issues in his living room.

So it came down to the 52" XBR6 and the 52W4100 which is one step below. For the difference in price of $1200, we could not find a reason to go with the XBR over the W. He has been extremely pleased with the 4100, so the extra $ would not have been worth it. The 4100 has been replaced by the 5100.

That reminds me, the a630 Samsung has a matte screen with the 650 being "glossy." I only see slight glare if my light is on and the screen is black.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

Get a nice projector. :)

I already have on in the Theater Room. The Living Room, where this would go, is too bright for anything other than an LCD or Plasma. LCD being less expensive...I'm erring for them.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#23 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

Most Sony/Samsung displays are manufactured in the same joint owned facilities.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#24 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

That reminds me, the a630 Samsung has a matte screen with the 650 being "glossy."

Also keep in mind that making the screen "matte" will have an adverse effect on picture quality. I heard many people mention the preference for matte over glossy (in rooms with a lot of direct light), but viewing these TV's in several different scenarios, I never saw any evidence of unwanted glare, but I could definitely see the difference in PQ between matte and glossy sets (regardless of the manufacturer).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#25 OFFLINE   driht

driht

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

I suggest that you check LCD TV ratings of various brands. You can compare the XBR6 and Series 6 by comparing their reviews. There are also some pretty nice selections over there that you might want to consider.

#26 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

I suggest that you check LCD TV ratings of various brands. You can compare the XBR6 and Series 6 by comparing their reviews. There are also some pretty nice selections over there that you might want to consider.

Thanks, I will go check them out this afternoon.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#27 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,220 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

Smiddy,

We have the XBR4 from 18 months ago in a very bright room during the day and love it! Paid more than twice your current cost but don't regret it. . .(it's paid for!)

Watching it right now MRV from the bedroom.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#28 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

Smiddy,

We have the XBR4 from 18 months ago in a very bright room during the day and love it! Paid more than twice your current cost but don't regret it. . .(it's paid for!)

Watching it right now MRV from the bedroom.

Sweet, now I'm having my nose rubbed in the MRV thing, nice. :lol:

Seriously, thanks...another satisfied customer.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

spam firewall