Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

UHF Interference causing unplanned recordings on 722?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   YourPalJay

YourPalJay

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

We keep getting programs recorded via TV#2 that we are not scheduling ourselves. We have had a couple instances where that TV/Receiever appears to have a life of it's own - changing channels, bringing up the guide, stopping a program, etc. all while the remote is sitting, untouched, on a table near the bed.

Could UHF interference be the cause?

We have a single 722 in the living room - TV#1 goes via Component to the HDTV and TV#2 is SD in the bedroom via a standard coax line.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jay

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

We keep getting programs recorded via TV#2 that we are not scheduling ourselves. We have had a couple instances where that TV/Receiever appears to have a life of it's own - changing channels, bringing up the guide, stopping a program, etc. all while the remote is sitting, untouched, on a table near the bed.

Could UHF interference be the cause?

We have a single 722 in the living room - TV#1 goes via Component to the HDTV and TV#2 is SD in the bedroom via a standard coax line.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jay

Two possibilities come to mind... poltergeist or nearby neighbor with a Dish uhf remote set to same channel as yours.

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Change the channel used by your UHF remote. The neighbor is on the same channel and is too close. The procedure to change the remote channel is in the User Guide.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   YourPalJay

YourPalJay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I had thought it was a neighbor at first, and it still may be. Our next-door neighbor has DirectTV, rather than Dish. However, 2 down from us is a Dish house.

As a fun experiment, figuring that the phantom control goes both ways (ie, we can control their TV also), we've been tuning in some rather "adult" selections on Cinemax before we turn the TV off for the night.

Oops!
;)

#5 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

As a fun experiment, figuring that the phantom control goes both ways (ie, we can control their TV also), we've been tuning in some rather "adult" selections on Cinemax before we turn the TV off for the night.

If you see the Dish Service truck pull up to your neighbor's house to make a service call in a few days you will know that when you programmed your remote/receiver to a different UHF address you also programmed his receiver to that new address. :lol:

Edited by SaltiDawg, 27 March 2009 - 09:50 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

As a fun experiment, figuring that the phantom control goes both ways (ie, we can control their TV also)

Odds are that it goes both ways.

One day, after getting set up in camp with the motorhome, I turned on the TV, browsed through the guide for a few seconds, and selected a show. A few seconds later, the channel changed. So I set it back, and few seconds after that I switched it back myself.

Finally, when the channel chaged again a few seconds later, I figured there was someone nearby with a Dish UHF remote. I quickly changed the ID number on my remote, and the strange "recevier possesion" stopped.

That other guy was probably as confused as I was. I wonder if he ever figured out what was going on?

we've been tuning in some rather "adult" selections on Cinemax before we turn the TV off for the night.

You are truly evil! :D

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

... I quickly changed the ID number on my remote, and the strange "recevier possesion" stopped.

That other guy was probably as confused as I was. I wonder if he ever figured out what was going on? ...

If you were indeed in communication with his receiver, you would have also changed the address on his receiver... his remote would no longer control his receiver ?????

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

The remote channel can only be changed when on the System Info screen. Use the Info button on the front pannel to display that screen and set the new remote channel. Since the other guy's receiver won't be on the System Info screen, his receiver won't change.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#9 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

The remote channel can only be changed when on the System Info screen. Use the Info button on the front pannel to display that screen and set the new remote channel. Since the other guy's receiver won't be on the System Info screen, his receiver won't change.

What's the fun in that?:lol:

spam firewall