Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Syfy Channel: Discussion (take 2)

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Folks, at member request I've started a new thread on this subject. There's a lot more discussion out there on the web and I know you're all interested in it.

This is your only warning: any violations of forum rules will be followed by an infraction and post deletion. In other words, please be nice.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Stuart. I just couldn't pass up sharing these two amusing gems:

From the Hollywood Reporter comes Branding company: 'Don't credit us for SyFy' even with cartoons.

And then there's this amusing one:

Interestingly, NBC-U may have anticipated some backlash as it appears they registered “SyfySucks.com” on January 30, via Corporation Services Company— which also holds new registration for Syfy.com

#3 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

And then there's this amusing one:

Interestingly, NBC-U may have anticipated some backlash as it appears they registered “SyfySucks.com” on January 30, via Corporation Services Company— which also holds new registration for Syfy.com

Nah, that's just defensive domain name registrations and brand protection. It's the standard MO for companies like CSC. I don't think that NBCU is that smart... :lol:
Rob

#4 OFFLINE   jhollan2

jhollan2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

That first cartoon is the funniest I've seen! The name change is just dumb. Kind of like "new coke".
2 R22s, 2 HR23-700s, and 1 H21. Presently in an abusive relationship with whole home viewing.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

This ad is appearing which when clicked takes you to their promo:

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Lets see...

Stargate - No
ECW - Yes

Ok, call it whatever you want.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#7 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Quality series like Battlestar don't come along very often and this network doesn't seem to be making much effort at creating anything as original and compelling for the future. Oh well...
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#8 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Except for Caprica, and Stargate Universe. :rolleyes:

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

I just want to congratulate the members of this forum for getting the name right, when the "daily jolt of TV industry buzz" can't even read a press-release to understand it's a lowercase "F". :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

I have a feeling we're going to see more programming of wrestling and Law and Order...because it would be airing on "Syfy", and not "Sci Fi"

#11 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:31 AM

I have only 2 words for Syfy... New Coke
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#12 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:48 AM

Actually, I think a better analogy is that Sci Fi is Coca-Cola Citra, and Syfy is Coke Zero. While Coca-Cola Citra might have existed for a longer period of time, it always will have a very very very limited appeal in the United States, because it appeals to the palate of a few foreign countries, instead of providing what Americans, in general, want. OTOH, Coke Zero is hot; it's trendy; it's popular today. It holds out the promise of making you fit and beautiful. Everyone (everyone who is worth hanging out with, at least) wants to be drinking Coke Zero these day.

I'm actually thinking that the biggest effect of the switch in name is that more people will actually watch Syfy, because it sounds like they're not just trying to appeal to science fiction fans. Other than that, nothing else will change.

#13 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

Actually, I think a better analogy is that Sci Fi is Coca-Cola Citra, and Syfy is Coke Zero. While Coca-Cola Citra might have existed for a longer period of time, it always will have a very very very limited appeal in the United States, because it appeals to the palate of a few foreign countries, instead of providing what Americans, in general, want. OTOH, Coke Zero is hot; it's trendy; it's popular today. It holds out the promise of making you fit and beautiful. Everyone (everyone who is worth hanging out with, at least) wants to be drinking Coke Zero these day.

I'm actually thinking that the biggest effect of the switch in name is that more people will actually watch Syfy, because it sounds like they're not just trying to appeal to science fiction fans. Other than that, nothing else will change.

I won't hold my breath. *thinking Techtv to G4 and how the channel is today.

#14 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:42 AM

How is that channel today? I don't even remember ever hearing of Techtv, but I've heard of G4. My initial instinct is that viewership increased from "practically no one watches" to "more than practically no one watches".

I just did a little research. Everything I've read so far seems to back up my impression of that positive trend, at least in terms of share. (They are greatly affected by the challenges facing any channel aiming at that same demographic, that those folks don't watch television as much.) What numbers do you have that shows that G4 is doing substantially worse financially than Techtv did? (Or are you mistakenly projecting your own personal disappointment about the on-air differences you see, related to the switchover, into some crude measurement of lack of success for the switchover?)

#15 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

What numbers do you have that shows that G4 is doing substantially worse financially than Techtv did?

I don't think he said anything about doing 'financially worse', just that it changed significantly. TechTV was a much better channel. They actually did stories that mattered. Shows were helpful and educational as well as fun and entertaining. G4 doesn't even really focus on Gaming as it's name implies. If it did, they wouldn't be running several hours of "COPS" every week.

That said, I have no idea what this thread is about.

OK, wait....

I have a feeling we're going to see more programming of wrestling and Law and Order...because it would be airing on "Syfy", and not "Sci Fi"

I'm actually thinking that the biggest effect of the switch in name is that more people will actually watch Syfy, because it sounds like they're not just trying to appeal to science fiction fans.

... are we talking about a name change? Or a new, competing channel? In either case, I don't see a benefit.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

At least they kept Morgan Webb.

#17 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

I don't think he said anything about doing 'financially worse', just that it changed significantly.

Okay, so by that logic, he may not like Syfy as much as he liked Sci Fi, but it could still be a smart move for NBC/U to have made.

... are we talking about a name change? Or a new, competing channel? In either case, I don't see a benefit.

It's a name change, and the benefits for NBC/U are several, including, most importantly, the ability to brand assets associated with the channel. What we're speculating about is that the name change can also have the same positive impact that the name change from Techtv to G4 had, in that genericizing the name, making it sound less like it is only for science fiction fans, could open the door to additional viewership currently turned off by the closer association with the term "Sci Fi" itself. That latter benefit is just speculation, though.

#18 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

When is the name change going to happen?
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#19 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:11 AM

It's a name change, and the benefits for NBC/U are several, including, most importantly, the ability to brand assets associated with the channel. What we're speculating about is that the name change can also have the same positive impact that the name change from Techtv to G4 had, in that genericizing the name, making it sound less like it is only for science fiction fans, could open the door to additional viewership currently turned off by the closer association with the term "Sci Fi" itself. That latter benefit is just speculation, though.

First, I don't see the change from TechTV to G4 as being a positive change any more than the change from "Headline News" to "HLN News and Views". I see both as negative changes in regards to their core audiences. Changing from "SciFi" to "SyFy" will certainly confuse and alienate a dedicated core audience devoted to science fiction, one of the largest audience subsets today.

The NBC acquistion of The Weather Channel isn't turning out to be very positive either, so I don't see a rosy future for "SyFy".

I don't even get the "SyFy" bit. It sounds more like some texting abbreviation.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#20 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:25 AM

When is the name change going to happen?

I think July 7th. I think they are going to change the name with the launch of the new series Warehouse 13. I've read that somewhere. It's supposed to launch that week, two series are starting that week, Warehouse 13 and Eureka(new episodes). I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...