Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Syfy Channel: Discussion (take 2)

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

PsyPhi has a nice ring to it :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

The first y is not a short i because it is followed by only one f. You had to introduce a second f to make clear you're not saying the name with a long i. Also the first syllable Sy looks a lot like psy which is pronounced as sigh in the first syllable of many words. The second y could be a long e or a long i.

I see the name as SIGH-fee, but pronounce it as siffy because it casts aspersions on people who made a nonsense decision I don't like. :D

If you look in the dictionary, there are very few words that start with "sy" that have a long "i" sound. Most are like synergy, syphilis (had to throw that one in), symphony, etc. Most words that end in "y" have a long "e" sound--jiffy, nifty, ready, etc. That's what I meant as phonetically sounding like "siffy."

Fair enough on pronouncing it as "siffy" despite your phonetic reasoning. :D

#363 OFFLINE   manzelmo

manzelmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

"syfy" is easier to "text" than SciFi

Being into Science Fiction is a disease, just like "syfy" definition #1 in the Urban Dictionary is a disease.

You can have wrestling on the the syfy channel, because it ain't science fiction.

I pronounce "syfy" and "scifi" the same because I have been into reading science fiction most of my life.

I still own a VCR because I have a whole bunch of "Dr Who" episodes that I taped off PBS. I really need to copy to disk one of these days. I really would love to see reruns of old "Dr Who".

I hope we actually get "Riverworld" some day Mr. Farmer wrote some really great stuff besides that series, "Image of the Beast" is one that I found in an adult book store, now that was a strange place to buy a scifi book.

A lot of people consider SciFi to include horror and fantasy, but not something like "Ghost Hunters"

syfy can be trademarked. You know that you don't actually xerox, or use a teflon pan, Unless the photocopier is made by Xerox or the pan is made with Dupont's ok.

I hope that syfy will pick up old shows like "Space 1999", "Carnivale", "True Blood" when that series ends and there are tons of other things we might enjoy seeing again. I really would love to season 1 of "Eureka"

I hope syfy can finally get rid of the middle of the night infomercials. Maybe they can come up with a new channel "syfy classics" with the old stuff and infomercials from 1-4 every night instead.

I patiently await SGU, ok, so not really all that patient, but nothing I can do about it. Good original programming and a variety of previously aired series will keep us watching the channel no matter what it called. I have no idea what "MAVTV" means, could be mature adult video for all I know, but I watch stuff on it.

Yes, I ramble, so what.

For a great series of movies I vote for "Nine Princes of Amber". A great serial show would be Spider Robinson's "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon" or for the violence prone things written by David Drake. There is so much damn good SciFi, fantasy and horror that could be on. Why not yet another try at Norman's Gor?

#364 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

As much as folks hate the idea that it belongs on Syfy, Ghost Hunters continues to deliver.

LINK

Given how little the series costs, that's a bonanza. You can argue with success, but in my experience, in business, success always wins.

#365 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Even when it launched in 1992, the Sci-Fi Channel's mission was "science fiction, fantasy, and horror." Its program schedule has never been purely sci-fi, despite the channel name.

At some point the reality of the channel's heritage has to be acknowledged. From Wikipeidia:

The Sci-Fi Channel was launched on September 24, 1992 by USA Networks, then a joint venture between Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios.

The channel was seen as a natural fit with classic film and television series that both studios had in their vaults, including Rod Serling's Night Gallery (from Universal TV) and Paramount's Star Trek and classic Universal horror films such as Dracula and Frankenstein. Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and author Isaac Asimov were among those on the advisory board.

I'm not sure whether Gene or Isaac was the wrestling fan....:sure:

But other than the wrestling they seem to make money pretty much remaining within the framework of science fiction and horror plus some fantasy and occult, and the related "reality" show.

If Syfy works for them as well as it seems to be, I have to say, begrudingly perhaps, maybe there was some marketing wisdom in the name change.

And if it's necessary in order to create funds for taking a chance or two with scifi series shows, carrying more 21st Century sports with Frankenstein-themed drug-enhanced "athletes" somehow seems consistent. :D

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#366 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

I started a thread over in the sports section WWE Mulls Own Cable Channel. The news articles mention keeping the shows on USA but they don't mention Syfy.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#367 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

I'm not sure whether Gene or Isaac was the wrestling fan....
But other than the wrestling they seem to make money pretty much remaining within the framework of science fiction and horror plus some fantasy and occult, and the related "reality" show.

Wrestling fits in well with syfy since it's pure fantasy.:D:D
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#368 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Recent News:

New York, NY – October 13, 2009 – It was quite a week for Syfy. Propelled by Sanctuary, Stargate Universe and the Original Movie Megafault, Syfy was the #3 cable entertainment network in Adults 25-54, behind only USA and TBS, for the week ending October 11.

#3 cable entertainment network in a prime demographic... I cannot see how anyone can continue to consider their efforts over the last few years to be anything other than a massive success.

#369 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Recent News:#3 cable entertainment network in a prime demographic... I cannot see how anyone can continue to consider their efforts over the last few years to be anything other than a massive success.

I find it interesting, though, that the shows quoted as being the big successes in this ratings windfall are SciFi shows. Now if they were crediting Wrestling or something for the increase in ratings, that seems more to me like proof of the direction change.

In any event, if the channel is doing well... that's good for me, so maybe more of what I like will keep coming.

#370 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Wrestling is just one show on the network, and isn't a significant part of the direction change.

The big change is the heavier focus on fantasy, space opera, and horror instead of science fiction (as per this post), and the heavier focus on relationship-based programming and light-hearted programming instead of hardcore technical and military stuff. The big change is also reflected in the big leap in the percentage of viewers of the network who are women.

#371 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

That's fine... but some of what they were talking about in terms of "diversifying" sounded to me like they wanted to move away from SciFi programming on SyFy. Fortunately, it doesn't seem they have really done that yet... and apparently the increase in ratings might help keep things that way.

#372 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

The diversification that they were referring to, I believe, is embodied in programs like Alice, and Tin Man, for example.

#373 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

The diversification that they were referring to, I believe, is embodied in programs like Alice, and Tin Man, for example.

I DVRed Tin Man but keep forgetting about it! I am curious about Alice as well. I do wish they'd do more of this kind of stuff (and maybe they will be).

#374 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

Recent News:#3 cable entertainment network in a prime demographic... I cannot see how anyone can continue to consider their efforts over the last few years to be anything other than a massive success.

The reason for this is that WH13 and SGU are all new shows, so they will get a huge audience at the start. The real test is how are they doing 6 months from now. If SGU gets any worst it wont even be around in 6 months.

#375 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

I haven't seen SGU yet, but based on the positive impressions of the show I've seen expressed by people who's opinions about genre programming I typically categorically disagree with, I wouldn't be surprised if I dislike SGU intensely.

#376 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

Disco Duck was also a hit back in 1976 but it did little to advance the long-term success of the musical genre. ;)

Syfy can add all the ratings-broadening shows like Ghost Whisperer they want, but they risk watering down the brand. If they continue to invest in shows like SGU, Caprica, etc, things should go well. Just beware the duck.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#377 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

No, the risk redefining the brand, which is what their intent was.

FWIR, SGU sucks.

I feel that they need to invest in more shows like Warehouse 13 and Eureka... those really foster the brand that they're trying to build and represent the kind of programming my wife and I like best.

Caprica sounds good too, though.

#378 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Caprica looks good, from the pilot... Eureka is good... Warehouse 13 I haven't fully engaged though I have it on the DVR.

There is room for some variety in the genre... SciFi programming doesn't all have to be serious.

spam firewall