Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Syfy Channel: Discussion (take 2)

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

First, I don't see the change from TechTV to G4 as being a positive change

Based on what criteria? I think you need to go back and read the message you replied to. Either you misread it, or overlooked important points within it.

I see both as negative changes in regards to their core audiences.

Who gets to impose their definition of "core" audience? Clearly, that's something you must defer to the broadcaster on. They get to determine who they want to aim their service offering at.

Changing from "SciFi" to "SyFy" will certainly confuse and alienate a dedicated core audience devoted to science fiction, one of the largest audience subsets today.

Where is your citation to that assertion of fact?

I think you're going to need to differentiate between people who like fantastical storylines and science fiction fans. The stats count these people together in one group, but as a self-proclaimed representative of the first group, I'll tell you that the changes that the name change to "Syfy" reflects represents a substantial improvement. Those changes will get me to watch Syfy more. And yet you'll find that all the surveys about who likes what will count me together with science fiction fans, who will abhor the further move away from hardcore science fiction.

And neither of us know how many of that "one of the largest audience subsets" you referred to are like me versus being more like the hardcore science fiction fan. However, it is NBC/U's business to know, and from their actions it seems like their research indicates that there are far more of me than them.

The NBC acquistion of The Weather Channel isn't turning out to be very positive either, so I don't see a rosy future for "SyFy".

Again, you're making an outlandish generalized qualitative statement, without regard to the fact that your personal preferences don't apply generally. Where is your citation to the objective facts that TWC is earning a lot less money now than they could have been making if NBC/U didn't acquire them? If you don't have that, then your comments along these lines are easily ignored as baseless.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

I think July 7th.

Yes, July 7.

#23 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:00 AM

I think July 7th. I think they are going to change the name with the launch of the new series Warehouse 13. I've read that somewhere. It's supposed to launch that week, two series are starting that week, Warehouse 13 and Eureka(new episodes). I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

Thanks.
At least one thing good will come of the change....Eureka starts.:)
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#24 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

Thanks.
At least one thing good will come of the change....Eureka starts.:)

I heard that, I've kept an eye on the listings and they keep repeating the first 8 episodes of Season #3 over and over, today they are showing an 8 hour block starting at 9:30am EDT. Guess what they're showing? You know it, the first 8 episodes of Season #3 again for the upteenth time in a row. They are going to show some Eureka eps on 7/6, 7/9 and 7/10 and guess what they're showing, the first 8 episodes of Season #3 again. :nono2:

I would really love to see the first and second season repeated every now and then, I never had a chance to see them in HD and that would be a treat, but the head honchos evidently assume we'd rather see the last 8 Ad nauseam.

The bad part about Eureka is they are only planning on 10 new episodes and orignally when it was returning in the winter we were supposed to get 13 new episodes. They are really not taking care of Eureka, don't really understand their thinking on this one, I think it's their most watched original scripted series currently(currently being a relative term, considering the long stretches between new episodes) and they treat it like some filler show.

#25 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:24 AM

I heard that, I've kept an eye on the listings and they keep repeating the first 8 episodes of Season #3 over and over, today they are showing an 8 hour block starting at 9:30am EDT. Guess what they're showing? You know it, the first 8 episodes of Season #3 again for the upteenth time in a row. They are going to show some Eureka eps on 7/6, 7/9 and 7/10 and guess what they're showing, the first 8 episodes of Season #3 again. :nono2:

I would really love to see the first and second season repeated every now and then, I never had a chance to see them in HD and that would be a treat, but the head honchos evidently assume we'd rather see the last 8 Ad nauseam.

The bad part about Eureka is they are only planning on 10 new episodes and orignally when it was returning in the winter we were supposed to get 13 new episodes. They are really not taking care of Eureka, don't really understand their thinking on this one, I think it's their most watched original scripted series currently(currently being a relative term, considering the long stretches between new episodes) and they treat it like some filler show.

I agree....these mid-season hiatus drives me nuts, I tend to lose interest in the show when it's broken up after a 2.5 month season.
And yes, I would think SciFi would do more for Eureka, I can't wait to see what they do with SG-U.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#26 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

Where is your citation to the objective facts that TWC is earning a lot less money now than they could have been making if NBC/U didn't acquire them?

Again, who said anything about money? Their quality of programming and value to me as a viewer is dropping which is the same thing that happened with TechTV. I don't watch SciFi that much except for the occasional episode of the Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories when they run the originals, so I probably won't really care if they ruin the channel.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#27 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:47 AM

Again, who said anything about money?

The poster who questioned my assertion that the change might result in more people watching.

I wholly and completely respect your right as a viewer to like or not like what this change represents... and expect you to respect my right to prefer what this change seems to represent.

#28 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

Referring back to the OP: I think it is really important to keep in mind that there are many aspects of this name change... and all of these aspects are worthy of discussion. :righton:

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Keep your eye on this site to see how different it will be from the existing site:

http://www.syfy.com/

#30 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

How is that channel today? I don't even remember ever hearing of Techtv, but I've heard of G4. My initial instinct is that viewership increased from "practically no one watches" to "more than practically no one watches".

I just did a little research. Everything I've read so far seems to back up my impression of that positive trend, at least in terms of share. (They are greatly affected by the challenges facing any channel aiming at that same demographic, that those folks don't watch television as much.) What numbers do you have that shows that G4 is doing substantially worse financially than Techtv did? (Or are you mistakenly projecting your own personal disappointment about the on-air differences you see, related to the switchover, into some crude measurement of lack of success for the switchover?)

I see a lot of Ninja Warrior listings.

#31 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

My nephew loves Ninjas.

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Speaking of not taking care of Eureka... is it just me or in the promos for the new episodes does it look like they've re-cast the part of the Sheriff's daughter?

A problem that Dead Zone had was the extreme time between seasons meant actors either had to do nothing and pass up on other work OR take jobs at the risk of losing their role on the main show. This is how some of the main characters from the first season of that show went away or became guests in future episodes.

With Eureka only doing maybe 10 episodes that all air in the summer... that's a long hiatus for an actor to not work on anything else... especially when there are no apparent guarantees that the show will go on beyond the next season on the schedule.

I worry we may soon see some of the better calibre actors not wanting to sign on for these kind of series because it really screws with their ability to find work in the off-season.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#33 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

I haven't seen an ad for Eureka yet, but a quick check of IMDB lists the same actress who has played Zoe all along. Perhaps she just grew up, changed her hair style and color? (That's always confused me about women in real life ... if it's someone you're only mildly acquainted with and you don't see them for a long time, they're upset the next time you see them don't recognize them! When you go from brunette to blonde, what do you want from me?? :P)

#34 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I've seen Zoe in several commercials for the upcoming season, the one person I'm not seeing much if any is Ever Carradine, Lexi, Carter's sister. I hope she's around this year, I liked her character. There is a new woman on the show, can't remember her name, but she kind of resembles Lexi in previews, but she's got another role.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

Maybe I'm just mis-viewing the commercials. I've not heard anyone called by name... but I have seen a different-looking girl. So maybe I just need to pay more attention.

#36 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

I just saw a Eureka commercial... that's definitely the same actress playing Zoe.

#37 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

Okay, so by that logic, he may not like Syfy as much as he liked Sci Fi, but it could still be a smart move for NBC/U to have made.

It's a name change, and the benefits for NBC/U are several, including, most importantly, the ability to brand assets associated with the channel. What we're speculating about is that the name change can also have the same positive impact that the name change from Techtv to G4 had, in that genericizing the name, making it sound less like it is only for science fiction fans, could open the door to additional viewership currently turned off by the closer association with the term "Sci Fi" itself. That latter benefit is just speculation, though.

Yeah, the branding excuse is a poor one. They could have just gone back to The Scifi Channel.

#38 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:15 AM

I think the problem is looking at it as an "excuse". They have their reasons; viewers may not value those reasons, but viewers dismissing a broadcaster's reasons is a bit like a Jew dismissing a Christian's reasons.

Also, I suspect that they would not be able to trade-mark "Scifi", nor would they be able to secure all the necessary domain names if they went with "Scifi".

#39 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

It's reallt too bad that NBC didn't try to get SciFi to live up to its name. You'd think they would try to score network reruns of SciFI shows (What a concept!). Geez, I go to Spike to see Star Trek. Or HDNET for Enterprise in HD. There's been a run of SciFI type TV shows in the last few years. NBC in general has been lagging in creativity for a while now.

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

I too am disappointed in the trend to show less "SciFi" content on the "SciFi" channel. Maybe the market isn't there for it, I don't know... but it's too bad a "SciFi" channel can't show SciFi, and not the other clearly off-genre stuff that the channel airs.

I've been similarly disappointed as the "Cartoon Network" shows more and more non-cartoon content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...