Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reformatting EHD for PC usage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

How can I format my EHD so I can use of for other tasks? I'm not asking whether or not the DVR data can be saved. I just want to format the EHD in FAT32.

I have right clicked on My Computer\Manage\Disk Management. The drive is visible (listed as Disk 6), but it's not labeled. When I right click on one of the 3 partitions (1GB, 500GB, 430GB) the only options I have for each is "Delete Partition". When I right click where it says, "Disk 6", I can go to Properties or Help. By going to Properties, I still cannot find a simple "Format" function.

I've searched this board and have not found the info I need. It may be buried somewhere. I think the process needs to be included in one of the stickies for EHD.

Really frustrating.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

If you don't care about the data on the partition, have you tried deleting it and then just creating a new fresh one and formatting that partition. Been a while since I have played around with partitions but it would be something I would try next.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

I could be wrong, and I haven't tried yet myself since I don't have an old drive I need to do this to yet... but I suspect you will have to delete the partitions and then let the operating system create new partitions to format.

It is likely the Dish-created partitions are recognizable by Windows as partitions but not usable.

I've experienced this in the olden days of computers... and frankly when you don't care about losing the data it's just plain simpler to delete the partitions and start over cleanly anyway.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

What's so bad about this is WD has software specifically for restoring a Fat32 drive. BUT, when I run it, it says that the drive is too small. As if it's the wrong software for my drive. Naturally, WD support is closed for the night. I've been fighting with this all day today. :(

Thanks guys, I'll just delete it.

It only gave me an option to format it as NTFS. I suppose that was it's original format. It will be used to back up my data on my PS3. I know the internal PS3 drives must be Fat32.

Edited by davethestalker, 27 March 2009 - 07:13 PM.

ViP722
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Yamaha RXV2200

Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

#5 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

SwissKnife v3 formatted it in FAT32 in about 5 seconds. First I had to delete the partition that Windoze was creating, until I canceled the Microsoft format.

http://download.cnet...l?tag=pdl-redir
ViP722
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Yamaha RXV2200

Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

#6 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

The partitions were created by the Dish EHD format. Anytime you want to make a drive one large one, you must delete all existing partitions. Pretty much all operating systems will honor the drive partitions when the drive was used previously. So, always delete existing partitions and re-partition the way you want and then format each partition.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

spam firewall