Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FCC asking for bids to help consumers install DTV converters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

A story in Friday's USA Today indicated the FCC is looking for bids from organizations that will help consumers intall their DTV converters. The shutdown of Feb showed that many viewers are having serious problems with the shutdown. The FCC expects to spend about $90 million on this program taken from the DTV budget. Full story here: http://www.usatoday....tallation_N.htm
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

I looked at the application. It is 40 pages. You have to be able to do 250 a week for 8 weeks.

To bad they can't give leads to tech savvy individuals who might want to help out a few of their neighbors.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

I hate to say I told you so... no wait, I don't hate that.. I love saying that :)

First it was "I demand my converter"... now it's "someone must install it"... next will be, "What's an antenna and will you put it up for me"... and then "come change the batteries in my remote for me".

This could get out of hand.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

The Boy Scouts are doing if for free in my area. The TV local stations have run ads with phone # to get in touch with the Scouts.

#5 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

All apart of the next "its just too complicated" basis for the next delay. As predicted.

If you are too stupid to install a converter box, you are better off not watching TV.

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,714 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

If you are too stupid to install a converter box, you are better off not watching TV.

Amen...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

What has our country come to?

Hell, give me $100 per install and I'll install these things for the morons who can't read basic install instructions that come with them. These things are so easy to install and it takes less than 10 minutes...

I read most of the 39 page FCC document. The FCC stipulates the hours you have to offer your services (2 weekdays per week 10am to 4pm, and 2 weeknights per week 4pm to 8pm, and a weekend day) and how many (minimum) converter boxes the contractor has to install weekly. Being an electrical engineer, I can hook the thing up with my eyes closed, but working these extra hours (when I already run my own business) and get the minimum installed per week is impossible... should be interesting to see who they get to bid on this program.

Edited by n3ntj, 28 March 2009 - 08:44 PM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hell, give me $75 per install and I'll install 250 per week for 8 weeks. These things are so easy to install and it takes less than 10 minutes.

Sure installing it may take 10 minutes, but it will take 3 hours or more to explain to some people that they need to change channels with *this* remote not the tv remote. Been there done that with far to many elders. :(
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#9 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:33 AM

All apart of the next "its just too complicated" basis for the next delay. As predicted.

That's like saying, if you don't know how to program a computer, your too stupid to use one. I've always found that those that have are always badmouthing those who don't. It's true with income, knowledge, living conditions, and many other factors. Come on people, get a life.:mad:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#10 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:55 AM

Huh? Lets see.

They is one of them there plug holes that says "Antenna". Me guess me should um plug that there cord from the antenna what used to be hooked up to my TV in it. What do you know, it only fits one way.

Then they is another one of them there plug holes that says TV. Me guess me should plug that there cord from the TV in it. What do you know, it only fits one way.

And then its got a juicetricity plug. Me should plug that into the juicetricity.

And it say "put TV on channel 3". Just like a video game. Me loves playstation 'raslin.

What do you know. Just like the directions sez, in English, Mexican, and that there Kee-bec talk too sez, also with pictures. Duhh. What time is roller derby?

---

We are talking about pluging two coax cables in the back of a box and plugging it in. If a person actually does not understand that, then Vince from Scam-Wow or the "I make $6000 a month working part time" scammers will take the rest of his food stamps before the TV is warmed up.

It is nothing like "computer programming". Its not even as complex as hooking up a computer. Its not even as complex as hooking up a toaster.

What is going on? Obviously this idiotic program is doomed to failure. No person is going to want to be a provider, and no person who actually needs someone to hook up a box for them is ever going to understand it, or much of anything.

So this program can "fail" just like the virtually free converter box give-a-way "failed" and then they can ask for "just one more" delay.

Which is the plan.

#11 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 612 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

This is not a problem of dumb people. This is a problem with morons in government. When UHF first came on the scene we had no government program to help install UHF tuners on our TV sets. We bought them and hooked them up. But, now that we have the dumbest of the dumb running Washington we need all kinds of help. These people who can not hook up a digital tuner will figure it out rather fast without government intervention. We had better start voting out all office holders in the Federal Government. We need term limits and IQ tests for these positions.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#12 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 700 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

I have the skills to figure things out, what areas get what channels, what type of antennas certain areas would need, the patience to teach people how to use the remote, have the knowledge and skills to make one remote work for both, have the guts to go up onto a 3rd story roof for antenna installs, etc, etc, etc. So, where can I apply for this private independent contracting? I need the JOB!!! And I have the skills and knowledge!!!

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

I don't think people need to know the intricate inner workings of a decoder box in order to own one... but if they can't connect/disconnect it themselves, what good is giving them one for free?

That said... the pandora's box is now opened... and since the government funded the program, the government is likely on the hook to follow through and make sure the box works for the end-user.

Note, I do NOT mean this in a political manner at all... This is about people and their expectations.

Consider... if you have a family member who knows nothing about computers... and you give them one of your old computers OR sell it for a good deal. You can bet they will call you to ask questions that come up, and you may find you have taken them to raise for the forseeable future with any computer problems they might have with the computer YOU gave to them.

That's the scenario I'm thinking is starting to evolve here with the converter boxes... Bad enough people had an entitlement/expectation of a free box... but now that they have one, the cries of "make it work since you gave it to me" will be following.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#14 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

I may have to start up a 2nd private company to do this. Sounds like easy money.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#15 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

I may have to start up a 2nd private company to do this. Sounds like easy money.

OK until you get into issues where you just cannot make it work for any one of the myriad reasons we all know about. You're the expert the government sent to work wonders and solve the problem. :nono:

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#16 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Maybe it's time for a DBSTalk contracting division to do these installs. "We" have people all over the country with the required "skills". ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#17 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

I looked at the application. It is 40 pages. You have to be able to do 250 a week for 8 weeks.

To bad they can't give leads to tech savvy individuals who might want to help out a few of their neighbors.

Where did you find the RFQ?

I went to the URL listed in the public notice, and it was a broken link.

#18 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Here is the link. I found it on the KUSA website:

http://www.fcc.gov/o...tv-support.html

#19 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

Consider... if you have a family member who knows nothing about computers... and you give them one of your old computers OR sell it for a good deal. You can bet they will call you to ask questions that come up, and you may find you have taken them to raise for the forseeable future with any computer problems they might have with the computer YOU gave to them.

+1 :nono:
Precisely why I don't do that, even though I certainly could. When non-techie family or friends ask me if I can do a computer for them, I point them to the nearest warehouse club . . . (of course they usually end up calling me for help anyway - sigh.)

#20 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

Someday some of us will be mostly blind, with shaky hands, trying to connect the latest XYZ gadget to the back of some device that we've never looked at before.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

spam firewall