Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FCC asking for bids to help consumers install DTV converters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

When UHF first came on the scene we had no government program to help install UHF tuners on our TV sets. We bought them and hooked them up.

I was against the coupon program, so, I hate to defend this. When you hooked up your UHF tuner to your television you would have still had a television that worked (and still got the vast majority of your channels) without the UHF tuner. When I was a youngster and that change came along I didn't even know of UHF channels until we got a television with a UHF tuner built in. The problem here is that without the box they will get no channels at all, not even the ones that they were used to receiving as was the case in the UHF situation.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, we can start a Dbstalk digital converter box install" company. :)
I am sure there are enough people here that know what needs to be done and can do it quickly.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

The fundamental question is: "If they can't hook up the converter box, who hooked up their TV in the first place?"

#24 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

The fundamental question is: "If they can't hook up the converter box, who hooked up their TV in the first place?"

Their son who now lives 3000 miles away on the other side of the country.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#25 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

What kind of son lets his mother survive on OTA only? Sonny boy should get mama a nice DirecTV HD and a Sony Bravia for Mother's Day.

#26 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

What prevents the mother from talking to one of her neighbors about her converter box, or calling the local library? I guess TV breeds too much passivity and helplessness in people...

#27 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Huh? Lets see.

They is one of them there plug holes that says "Antenna". Me guess me should um plug that there cord from the antenna what used to be hooked up to my TV in it. What do you know, it only fits one way.

Then they is another one of them there plug holes that says TV. Me guess me should plug that there cord from the TV in it. What do you know, it only fits one way.

And then its got a juicetricity plug. Me should plug that into the juicetricity.

And it say "put TV on channel 3". Just like a video game. Me loves playstation 'raslin.

What do you know. Just like the directions sez, in English, Mexican, and that there Kee-bec talk too sez, also with pictures. Duhh. What time is roller derby?

---

We are talking about pluging two coax cables in the back of a box and plugging it in. If a person actually does not understand that, then Vince from Scam-Wow or the "I make $6000 a month working part time" scammers will take the rest of his food stamps before the TV is warmed up.

It is nothing like "computer programming". Its not even as complex as hooking up a computer. Its not even as complex as hooking up a toaster.

What is going on? Obviously this idiotic program is doomed to failure. No person is going to want to be a provider, and no person who actually needs someone to hook up a box for them is ever going to understand it, or much of anything.

So this program can "fail" just like the virtually free converter box give-a-way "failed" and then they can ask for "just one more" delay.

Which is the plan.

Althought I do somewhat agree with what you are saying, hooking up a converter is slightly harder than hooking up a toaster.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#28 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:35 AM

Althought I do somewhat agree with what you are saying, hooking up a converter is slightly harder than hooking up a toaster.

The REAL problem here isn't everyday Americans installing converter boxes and cables. The REAL problem is DISH owners not being able to slide a purple card into a slot. Go back to the main dish forum and see all the discussion about problems DISH users are having.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#29 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

As I understand it, the FCC is looking to subsidize TV antenna & cable converter installation for the poor, unemployed, and elderly. However, the document confines the installing dealer to only one trip. A dealer may find himself returning more than once to educate or resync the box with the TV.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#30 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Lets see if I got this right?
Knock on door.
"Hi! I'm with the government and I am here to help you!" :)
Slam! Pit bull comes from back yard and chews leg off!:nono2:

And thats before I install the box and then have to tell them that the antenna on the roof will have to be replaced with one that doesn't have half the elements missing!
Think I will pass on this one. I can get better abuse at home from the wife and kids and save on gas and help the environment.

spam firewall