Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I "lock the transponder" on Sat 61.5

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BadFrog

BadFrog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorth Oakland County Michigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:18 AM

Seems my transponder on SAT 61.5 keeps changing (it probobly changes on 110 and 119, too). I am in "installation" and "Point Dish"..I sellect the Sat 61.5 and a Transponder with the strongest signal. So at this point, I want to keep the VIP722 "locked on that Transponder".
Is there a way to do this ?
The VIP 722 makes a reference to locking the signal but does not actually say how to. I have tried "select" button ..I leave the setup screen, come back to it and the Transponder indicates it has changed to a different one.
Any suggestions or is this just a dynamic process that the VIP 722 picks whatever it wants.

Thanks in advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

The receiver automatically "locks" on the sat signal. You don't do anything to cause or prevent that. There are multiple transponders on each sat. Each transponder carries different programming. When you change the channel you are watching, the receiver "knows" which sat and which transponder the channel is on and automatically switches to it. So, you can't LOCK on one transponder and you don't want to or you would be stuck with the channels that are on that one transponder.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

You might want to take a minute to look at the channel info on the EKB Dish Network Channel Chart. For instance, The Science Channel HD is on 129° tr19 (or 61.5° tr19 depending on location) while The History Channel HD is on 129° tr31 (or 61.5° tr22). Your box "knows" which transponder to lock onto when you select the channel.

#4 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

I leave the setup screen, come back to it and the Transponder indicates it has changed to a different one.

All of those settings on the setup screen are only an aid to aiming your dish. They have no effect on the normal operation of your receiver, and none of them need to be set to anything in order for your receiver to work properly.

The dish type and zip code settings are there solely so the receiver can figrure out and display the azimuth/elevation/skew settings. The satellite number and transponder number are just to select a particular sateliite/transponder pair for the signal strength meter.

These settings have no effect anywhere other than the setup screen, and they are not necessarily preserved when you return to the setup screen.

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#5 OFFLINE   BadFrog

BadFrog

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorth Oakland County Michigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Thanks folks ... that's new info for me .. Here I thought I could just "lock into" the best signal strength .. didn't know programming was distributed on different transponders and rcv'r locks into what is needs for a station.

Thank you for the "education" ...

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

... and they are not necessarily preserved when you return to the setup screen.

That's because each time you go there, it's showing you the sat and tp of the channel you were viewing. You can also find out the sat by pressing Info twice (opaque to solid) while watching, but tp is only shown on the Point Dish screen.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

You can also find out the sat by pressing Info twice (opaque to solid) while watching, but tp is only shown on the Point Dish screen.

That's interesting to know, thanks! I knew about the get info trick (only works live, and not with a recording) but didn't know about the transponder lookup part. Neat.

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...