Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directivo will still be a choice after the merger!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DDRio

DDRio

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 07:16 PM

Charlie said on the chat that the third party contracts (Tivo, UltimateTV) will continue after the merger.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 08:49 PM

Whats up with DirecTiVos? Philips no longers lists their on their website and I havent seen any in CE stores in a while
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#3 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 04:58 AM

Does this mean DDRio is going to become a D* sub? :)
No mention of the 721 on Charlie Chat last night........:(
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#4 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 06:25 AM

Well if DTivo and UTV only receive the DTV signal with DSS encryption either they have decided to go with that platform---or an equipment swap is needed.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 08:46 AM

I suspect that the first new receivers post-merger will be able to use both DSS and DVB encryption, Charlie and RCA have already indicated that duel encryption boxes would be made available. Ultimately it is my belief that DSS will be the ultimate dominant standard because it will be cheaper for the new E* to switch current E* subs to DSS equipment then the other way. However if the New E* does choose to go with DVB, there is no reason that new TIVO and UTV box’s could not be adapted to DVB encryption.

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 08:40 PM

I will take your word for it! But I have never before heard that conversion was a simple or practical matter. Thanks for the info Chris!
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   nate_wendt

nate_wendt

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 08:41 AM

The current stock of Tivos is the gen 1 model, and the reason that they are getting scarce is that all of the makers, including Phillips, are gearing up for the launch of the gen 2 model. I am told that this should be available sometime in late summer, though nothing much has been said about the new hardware specs.

#8 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 11:00 AM

The explanation that the DirecTiVo's are out-of-production for months due to model changeover seems strange. I can't think of a similar situation with any other popular electronic product when an improvement/change is made. As I've mentioned before, I suspect the delay is to allow them to accommodate whatever newer broadcast standard D* and E* are planning. The halt of production of the generation 1 models would be to avoid having to eventually replace them with free upgrades to generation 2 models. I suspect the E* 721 won't be available until it, too, is capable of the newer standard.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#9 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 12:53 PM

AllieVi, I've read where the Series2 TiVo's are showing up now at Best Buys......I haven't seen a thing regarding DirectTiVo's. :shrug:
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#10 OFFLINE   nate_wendt

nate_wendt

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:49 AM

Strange or not, thats what the boys at my distributors tell me. I have also heard the the gen 2 tivos are selling at certain retailers, which also makes me wonder why so long a wait for the D*-tivos.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2002 - 06:20 PM

The series 2 standalone are at Best Buy currently. The Series 2 DTIVO doesn't come out until Q3 2002. Philips has stopped making Tivo for Tivo.

#12 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 06:44 PM

Originally posted by John Corn
AllieVi, I've read where the Series2 TiVo's are showing up now at Best Buys......I haven't seen a thing regarding DirectTiVo's. :shrug:

Directv sent out an official press release about their increased partnership with TiVo, and the scheduled Q3 release of Series II DirecTiVos, a couple of months ago. Here's the link -

http://www.directv.c...?id=02_21_2001A

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 07:21 PM

Welcome Spanishannounce Table :hi:

(I would never want to sit at that table, its the one the wrestlers alwasy go through!)

I get the feeling the sercurity system which will be in place after the merger will be DirecTV's, this way the Tivos and Ultimate TV's can live, plus its been leaked out that the older Dish Receivers can have their security electronicly updated and can use DirecTV's security.

#14 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:16 PM

Recent moves by both providers seem to indicate Directv will be the system of choice should the merger go through.

1) Echostar hires RCA to make receivers which work with either system.
2) Directv's announcement of an even closer partnership with TiVo and upcoming release of Series II DirecTiVos.
3) Charlie Ergan's own positive comments on the future of Tivo and UltimateTV service.

Add to this the bottom-line economic reality of receiver swaps (upgrading as many current E* receivers by download as possible then handing out a few new Directv receivers VS. manufacturing and shipping enough Dish Network receivers to replace 15,000,000 Directv receivers :eek: ) makes me feel fairly confident in the future of my DirecTiVos :D
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#15 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 09:27 PM

I think that Charlie has a role to play in the new DirecTV cards. Note - their no longer using CAS by News Corp (Echostar and News Corp aren't exactly friends:) ). I think he's trying to see if the DSS setup can be made secure enough for his wants, and if it can he's going to use it.

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2002 - 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Mark
I think that Charlie has a role to play in the new DirecTV cards. Note - their no longer using CAS by News Corp (Echostar and News Corp aren't exactly friends:) ). I think he's trying to see if the DSS setup can be made secure enough for his wants, and if it can he's going to use it.

These decisions were already made many many months ago, which would naturally pre-date the deal with RCA. I'd link the DBSForums thread, but they're still down.

This scenario was hotly argued by E* subs at DBSForums for awhile. I'm glad Charlie is now easing out the news to Joe Consumer.

I never heard that older E* receivers could be converted. Tat is interesting, and could be good news for the 6000 owners.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...