Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any tv converter box with component out that i can use dtransmision coupon on?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bestivo

bestivo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

Short version:
I have a tv converter box coupon and want to get a tuner box with component out to feed a HDTV without a tuner. Any ideas?

Long version:
My parents have a HDTV (without a tuner) and an old NTSC tv in the bedroom. The HDTV is hooked up to a dish receiver (vip211) and it doesn't have a tunner. My parents want to drop the dish payment and just watch locals. They have 2 TV converter box coupons. I am looking to use one of the coupons to buy a tuner box for the hdtv but all the ones that I look at have only RCA outputs. Do you guys know any with component out (so I can pass hd signal to the hdtv).

Also any recommendations on the regular converter boxes for their bedroom NTSC tv?

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

Short version:
I have a tv converter box coupon and want to get a tuner box with component out to feed a HDTV without a tuner. Any ideas?

Long version:
My parents have a HDTV (without a tuner) and an old NTSC tv in the bedroom. The HDTV is hooked up to a dish receiver (vip211) and it doesn't have a tunner. My parents want to drop the dish payment and just watch locals. They have 2 TV converter box coupons. I am looking to use one of the coupons to buy a tuner box for the hdtv but all the ones that I look at have only RCA outputs. Do you guys know any with component out (so I can pass hd signal to the hdtv).

Also any recommendations on the regular converter boxes for their bedroom NTSC tv?

Thank you

If you're talking about the convertor boxes that you can get the coupons for - absolutely none of them will have component video output - the inclusion of that or HDMI or TOSLINK/ Digital audio coax outputs makes a device ineligible for the coupons. S-Video output IS allowed, but it is not on very many CECBs.

There are HDTV tuners available (although it is a small and growing smaller) market for some boxes that do exceed the CECB specs - probably one of the better known and recommended units is the Samsung DTB-H260F. Check this forum for more options - http://www.avsforum....display.php?f=6 . If you can't find an HDTV tuner, You could use a CECB to their HDTV - but of course, it will only be SD and not HDTV.

For the bedroom TV - for basic viewing - they are all pretty much about the same. Get whatever is available and use your coupon. http://www.avsforum....splay.php?f=186

Edited by scooper, 30 March 2009 - 05:22 PM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'm not sure that HD tuners are made any more. There was a market when HD-ready TVs (read monitors) were produced, but now all TVs must have tuners - no more monitors.

You'll likely do best at finding a used stand-alone HD tuner on eBay.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

I'm not sure that HD tuners are made any more. There was a market when HD-ready TVs (read monitors) were produced, but now all TVs must have tuners - no more monitors.

I'm not sure that they were not allowed any more, but the cost of ATSC tuners has come down dramatically so as to make the idea of selling a "HDTV monitor only without tuner" is kind of silly now.

You'll likely do best at finding a used stand-alone HD tuner on eBay.

As I said - it's a small and growing smaller market. You may well be right that ebay / craigslist / other private sales sites are his best options.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   wd8kct

wd8kct

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Short version:

Centronics ZAT 502 HD Terrestrial Digital ATSC Receiver (Summit Source):
http://bit.ly/2lzn29
not eligible for coupon...

#6 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

Converter boxes are made to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. That is not what you need.

#7 OFFLINE   bestivo

bestivo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thank you all. I was thinking that was the case but wasn't sure.

#8 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

There are DVD recorders with component output.

#9 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

There are DVD recorders with component output but you can not use a coupon for them.

spam firewall