Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Request for Help with Closed Captioning Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   byron2008

byron2008

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hello everyone,

We're a multi-lingual household who found common ground with tv watching a few years back. We pick a language for audio, and the opposite language for subtitles. Yes, it's a little crazy, but it brings peace.

Now here's the problem. If we upgrade our DVR to any of the service providers we need to utilize the Component or HDMI cables. This prevents the TV from having the CC3 ability. We can watch subtitles via the receiver in English for English programing and Spanish for Spanish programming, but there isn't an option for English audio with Spanish subtitles. We have two very old Tivo units which run off an s-video plug. They provide this option. My family wants to go HD, but you get the idea.

Hopefully, someone else has presented this previously, but I couldn't find an answer searching the boards. I'm trying to be a peace keeper and allow the HD leap, but have my doubts based upon what I've seen thus far.

Thanks so much for your help,
Byron

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

My Dish 722 HD DVR lets you pick the captioning service you wish it to display, normally 1, but you can choose 3 if you want.

If you did that it would display cc3 captions (if they exist), while leaving the audio alone. When connected in this fashion, the receiver itself is decoding the CC, and then displaying them on the monitor. You don't use the TV's CC option, but enable it in the receiver itself.

Not sure I understand fully what you mean, but I think it can do what you want.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#3 OFFLINE   byron2008

byron2008

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hi there, and thanks for the reply. Ultimately, my family watches a ton of HBO, because 95% of their offerings are available in English/Spanish audio & or subtitles. So, what we do as a compromise for those who are weaker in one language is listen in English and read spanish subtitles or vice versa.

I've tried this with the HR20-21+ series, and they have multiple cc options to choose from on the receiver, but the only one which works is CC1. If i switch from hdmi to s-video, I can use the tv's cc3 option, but when in hdmi, the tv's cc options are blocked. Ultimately, we're looking to go HD without losing this important CC3 function.

We're considering cutting the cord altogether and simply subscribing to a blu-ray dvd service. The quality is great, and none of the language options are lost with most dvd's anyhow.

Again, I'm open to any suggestions to get CC3 over an hdmi connection.

Thanks again!

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

CC does not go over HDMI (HD content) as far as I know. CC now is handles by the receiver. Not sure if this was always the intention with HD but it is the current state. I will give a try with CC on HBO tonight if I get the chance to see if it works.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   Chevy1965

Chevy1965

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

I tried cc1 through cc4 and I get English for all

#6 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Me too, on all the HBO's at least. That means the receiver isn't decoding it properly, or the provider is sending english on all CC channels. Not sure how to tell.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#7 OFFLINE   byron2008

byron2008

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

You all seem to be experiencing the same situation. Believe it or not, I think this bug is going to motivate me to cut the cable, and buy a Blu-ray player. Most DVD's have multi-lingual options.

On that note, have any of you had experience surfing with the PS3? I'm trying to determine how realistic it will be to see an episode of "The Office" over the tv via the PS3

spam firewall