Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SlingLink Turbo W1 | Will not connect to VIP722 & VIP222 Receivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RJdished

RJdished

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

We recently had Dish Network installed.

Since our phone line is on VOIP, the retailer sent along a SlinkLink Turbo HomePlug-To-Ethernet Adapter W1, in order to connect the 2 Dish Receivers - both Ethernet compatible via Broadband.

The receivers are:
  • VIP722
  • VIP222

I connected up the Ethernet cable to the SlingLink and the router (Linksys WRT310N) and plugged it in. Solid light showing Network Connection.

I then try to 'connect' the receivers, but end up with 'No Connection' Error - All the numbers, IP address, Subnet etc are all 0.0.0.0.

Is there any other setup I need to take care of, which I may be missing.

~ R J

:cool:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

Easy things to check:

The SlingLink adapter must be plugged directly into a wall outlet, not a power strip.

Similarly, the Dish receivers must be connected directly to a wall outlet, not a power strip.

Additionally, I have had issues using the newer SlingLink Turbo adapters reliably with the built-in HomePlug in the Dish receivers. Newer SlingLink is supposed to be backwards compatible, but does not appear to be from my experience.

I actually had to acquire some older SlingLink non-Turbo adapters to get mine working.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   RJdished

RJdished

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

Easy things to check:

The SlingLink adapter must be plugged directly into a wall outlet, not a power strip.

Similarly, the Dish receivers must be connected directly to a wall outlet, not a power strip.

Additionally, I have had issues using the newer SlingLink Turbo adapters reliably with the built-in HomePlug in the Dish receivers. Newer SlingLink is supposed to be backwards compatible, but does not appear to be from my experience.

I actually had to acquire some older SlingLink non-Turbo adapters to get mine working.

The SlingLink was given free, so I don't really mind swapping it out with a new 'working' paid unit.

Which would be the 'best' make/model to use for my set up?

:cool:

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

In my case, the newer SL150 model seemed to produce spotty results. I've had the best results with an older SL100-140. There are other manufacturers than Sling for HomePlug as well. If you do make a purchase, I recommend buying from a place where you can return them if you find they do not work.

Ultimately, you can always buy enough adapters to put a HomePlug adapter at each receiver, and then connect ethernet from the receiver to that adapter instead of using the built-in... but if you (like me) are trying to get buy with purchasing the least amount of hardware, then you will want to just get by with one at the router.

#5 OFFLINE   krholmberg

krholmberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Is it really necessary to plug all your receivers and the Slinglink directly into wall outlets? If so, that is crazy. Who in their right mind won't protect their DVR and connected equipment from power fluctuations? I have a power conditioner with voltage regulation and a UPS for each of my ViP722s. Aside from frying your equipment, one dip in power and your hard drive could be wiped clean. I wouldn't dare expose them to damage. I just got a Slinglink W1 from Amazon tonight (the same one that is on the Dish website). I plugged it into my power conditioner. The ethernet cable was connected between it and my router... and the router is also plugged into the power conditioner, too. Just as the OP noted, no dice. Very disappointing.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:15 AM

Is it really necessary to plug all your receivers and the Slinglink directly into wall outlets? If so, that is crazy. Who in their right mind won't protect their DVR and connected equipment from power fluctuations? I have a power conditioner with voltage regulation and a UPS for each of my ViP722s. Aside from frying your equipment, one dip in power and your hard drive could be wiped clean. I wouldn't dare expose them to damage. I just got a Slinglink W1 from Amazon tonight (the same one that is on the Dish website). I plugged it into my power conditioner. The ethernet cable was connected between it and my router... and the router is also plugged into the power conditioner, too. Just as the OP noted, no dice. Very disappointing.

There are supposed to be some UPS or power strips out there that do condition the line but also permit Ethernet-over-power to transmit. I have not actually seen or tried any of them, though, but I know I have heard of them.

I had posted that I thought the Ethernet-power-adapters had some sort of power protection, but I could never find any proof of where I remembered reading it.

I understand the desire to protect your equipment... so it is basically a trade-off of whether to protect your equipment OR use a convenient method of internet connectivity.

#7 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

I use the Netgear powerline adapter shown in the link below. It was purchased at Fry's. From day 1 it has worked great, no issues.

http://www.frys.com/product/5805163

#8 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:22 AM

I got my Sling Link last week, it does work with one of my recievers pretty good at times, but not the other at all. Called DISH, they gave me a whole list of reasons, like if you have a dimmer switch for your lights, it will interfere, power strips,(which I do not have it connected to)and other issues. Does anyone have the wifi connectors? Is it better then SlingLink? I am not really crazy about this so called BlockBuster anyways, but maybee it will improve so I am hoping to fix the broadband connection.

#9 OFFLINE   pacoman2011

pacoman2011

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

you can have disk network to give you a Wanda3100 wirless adapter for your receiver it work for me when the sling link didn't

Protected By... spam firewall...And...