Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* sent me an empty box

sports

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

When I called CSR and asked which box they wanted back, they said they didn't know and to ignore it. I even gave them the order number and he couldn't figure it out.

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

April Fool's joke by DirecTV? I would keep trying different csr's until somebody could identify the missing hardware.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Did you try going to the Directv.com website and checking your recent orders?

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I would not just ignore it, as the CSR recommended.

If you've replaced or deactivated a receiver recently, that would obviously be it. If not, I would do what jeffshoaf recommends and check the web site to see if you can figure it out.

If DirecTV sent you a "Return Kit" and they get nothing back (within a week to ten days maybe?), you WILL get dinged with a (probably $470) Non-Return Fee. I really see no reason that a CSR couldn't look at your account and tell you what triggered the return kit.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

In the instructions should be a RID number listed to send back.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

DirecTV will send out "an empty box" to have customers return equipment for various reasons.

The "empty" box typically contains:

1) A return pre-paid shipping label
2) Tape to reseal the original/main box
3) shipping "padding" inside
4) An instruction sheet on using #1-#3 above.

If returning equipment...it is important to get the unit sent back out via FedEx (on the return label) within a week, as to avoid an accounting issue.

As soon as they receive it, they scan the label, open the box, and record the receiver ID and access card.

If sending back a DVR or receiver...make sure you include the access card, power cord, and remote (without batteries in it).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

They told me on two occasions that they would send me a box to send back my recalled HD receiver. That was back in November.

Maybe you got mine...

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

They told me on two occasions that they would send me a box to send back my recalled HD receiver. That was back in November.

Maybe you got mine...

:thats: :!rolling :rolling:

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hmmmmmmmm?

Elementary school, high school, undergraduate degree, MBA.....putting boxes on a truck; every once in a while a guy just has to screw around.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

I've always wondered about the return kits. I've got one deactivated receiver just sitting around taking up space and they never sent a box out for it.

…and sending it back by Fedex? What a hassle! There's no Fedex shipping places around here for probably 50 miles.

#11 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

I've always wondered about the return kits. I've got one deactivated receiver just sitting around taking up space and they never sent a box out for it.

…and sending it back by Fedex? What a hassle! There's no Fedex shipping places around here for probably 50 miles.

You call the phone number for Fed EX they give you and Fed Ex picks it up at your house....

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

They send a pre-paid box with the shipping instructions, packing material, sealing tape, and return label pre-printed. FedEx delivers everywhere and picks up everywhere....don't see any "hassle" with that. :D

#13 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

The empty box is for an H23 that replaced an H20 that I thought I bought prior to Mar 2006. I have always had the protection plan. I had deactivated it because it was in my other house and not being watched.
Question 1: How can I determine the date of activation of the orig. H20?
Question 2: Are H23's leased or owned. I thought it was just HR2x's?
Question 3: Can I just reactivate them to avoid losing them?
Question 4: Is it cheaper to pay the penalty or re buy one when they get MRV figures out?:confused:

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

#14 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

When I had the local 72 swap done at my house I had 3 d11s and 1 r15 that were replaced with 3 h21s and an r22. I called up to get return kits to send back the equipment they REQUIRED me to swap.

So I get the two return kits and they both have the return labels in the boxes. I look at the model numbers they requested. Of course one box lists the RID #s of two h21s and the other has the RIDs #s for the third h21 and r22..... I just had that equipment installed why would I send that back........

anyways I called back up and asked what was up with this and the CSR said thats wrong.... of course :nono:. So he tells me to just throw them boxes and packing material away.....wasted shipping of two perfectly fine return kits... Then he sends out two more return kits which I received but these dont list the specific receivers.....
I just put two D11s in one return kit and one d11 and r15 in the other. I wrote down all the specs of everything in case anything comes up from this. I just wanted to post what I had to go through just to get rid of the old equipment DirecTV swaped out for free so I could keep my local channels :nono2:
**Living Room - H24-x00** **My Room - HR22-100** **Master Bedroom - R22-100**
***I am in a 72.5 local swap market I do not subscribe to HD access***

**Complete Setup Here**

#15 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

The empty box is for an H23 that replaced an H20 that I thought I bought prior to Mar 2006. I have always had the protection plan. I had deactivated it because it was in my other house and not being watched.
Question 2: Are H23's leased or owned. I thought it was just HR2x's?
Question 3: Can I just reactivate them to avoid losing them?
Question 4: Is it cheaper to pay the penalty or re buy one when they get MRV figures out?:confused:

Question 1: Im not sure about this one maybe going back through your bills to see when it was first activated?
Question 2: Im almost positive that all equipment now days is leased.
Question 3: If you deactivated an H23 most likely they want it returned because its leased.
Question 4: Im not sure what you mean by this. The penalty would be paying for non-returned equipment and thats outrageous. If the receiver is deactivated I would just reactive it for the extra $4.99 a month lease fee. I think that I understood what you said please explain if im wrong.

**Complete Setup Here**

#16 OFFLINE   RegGeek

RegGeek

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

Under the protection plan, owned is supposed to be replaced with owned. This doesn't always happen though. I believe you need to reach the access card department to get a receiver changed from lease to own. If the H20 was owned (check older bills if you can to see how the monthly fee was described) then the H23 should be as well. I would suggest calling back and getting transfered to the access card department to see if they can straighten out the status of your H23. They hopefully can also cancel the return box so you don't still get charged. To be safe I would cancel autopay if you are enrolled to avoid be charged for the non-return until things are figured out.
I know life's not fair, but how come it's never unfair in my favor?

See profile for equipment list.

#17 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Log into your account at Directv.com, go to Account Details, then to View All Orders. It should be on that page.

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

Log into your account at Directv.com, go to Account Details, then to View All Orders. It should be on that page.

...and if that doesn't work...try Pizzahut.com....:D:hurah:

They send out boxes too. ;):lol:

#19 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

Just thought I would note that view all orders on my account has never worked for me. I have checked it every time I log into my account. It always has that "try again later" message. It has been like this for as long as I can remember.

**Complete Setup Here**

#20 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

If DirecTV sent you a "Return Kit" and they get nothing back (within a week to ten days maybe?), you WILL get dinged with a (probably $470) Non-Return Fee.

So true. In fact, the last receiver I returned, I never got a return box, even though they claimed to have sent it. So I called and asked for another one, returned my receiver in that box, and thought all was well. Then a few weeks later get dinged for $470. Turns out it was for the first box that I never received. So any box that supposedly goes out and doesn't come back you'll likely get charged for. Their whole system apparently relies on the boxes and not what's in them, because they charged me for a receiver I'd already returned.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sports

spam firewall