Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Uverse

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Just add ATT call me and try to get me to sign up for Uverse. I told him I didn't want the TV service and he asked why. He couldn't understand how I could possible need or want to record more than 4 programs at once, especially since I only have 3 TVs. I tried to explain it is not how many TV's, but how many program you are interested in at once. Then he proceeded to try and convince me the HD offerings were superior, I told him from what I have seen of the PQ of their channels, no thanks. At that point I hung on him, because he wasn't listening just arguing.

Even though I wouldn't mind getting the internet connection from them. They are my only choice that is not a wireless solution. I don't consider dialup a solution period :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for sharing.

I live in a Uverse area, and learned more from your post about them then the 2-3 mail pieces I've received.

In any case....I'm not going anywhere.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

I love my U-Verse internet and would recommend it to anyone. I've never tried their television service however.

#4 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

For us here in Ioway, Uverse, FIOS might as well be time-travel machines, cure for the common cold and other pipe dreams . . . sigh.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

I'd jump on Uverse in a heartbeat if it were available in my area. It's a great fit for me since I'd never use more than 2 HD streams and would love having more HD channels like the Travel Channel and better SD picture quality as well. If D* would improve in those areas, I wouldn't think of leaving.

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

I love my U-Verse internet and would recommend it to anyone. I've never tried their television service however.

Yeah, once FIOS hits my area I am getting their internet. But they'll have to pry my D* DVRs from cold dead hands.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#7 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, once FIOS hits my area I am getting their internet. But they'll have to pry my D* DVRs from cold dead hands.

Verizon has been overlaying ATT's territory around here. I hope they make it out my way. I'm afraid the housing density might not be enough to justify their costs. But if they do make it, I'd jump at the chance to get internet from them.

At some point, I will probably go through the hassle of getting Uverse hooked up to get the internet. The problem is that they won't let me just order internet, I need to order the TV service and then cancel it later. I'm just not up for the PITA right now. I'm able to around 3M with my wireless hookup now and it has been rock solid, so I'm not in a huge hurry.

#8 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

How'd you pull that one off? They told me I can't have one without the other.
Dave

HR20-700 connected to Zenith Z50PV220 50" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA
HR20-700 Connected to Hitachi P42H401 42" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

At some point, I will probably go through the hassle of getting Uverse hooked up to get the internet. The problem is that they won't let me just order internet, I need to order the TV service and then cancel it later. I'm just not up for the PITA right now. I'm able to around 3M with my wireless hookup now and it has been rock solid, so I'm not in a huge hurry.

Shouldn't have too anymore. They "unbundled" it a month or so ago and you can order just Internet, at least in Michigan. It was reported on DSLReports as well that it's that way all over. If you go online to order you'll see that you can remove both TV and phone service and just get the Internet. The CSR just may not know that option is available now.

It think AT&T may have finally figured out that they are leaving a lot of business on the table by requiring TV service.

But check online because perhaps they haven't unbundled in your area yet. It's not on my street yet but the day it is I'll sign up since it's $30 cheaper then Charter for the same speed.

#10 OFFLINE   SatelliteJim

SatelliteJim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

I've had Uverse for nearly a year now, and I like it alot. The PQ for SD is so much better than cable but, not quite up to par with DTV. The HD PQ is good and has gotten better than say, 6 months ago and there's plenty of HD channels. The only turn off about Uverse is that they don't offer any of the sports subscription pkgs like Center Ice or Extra Innings, nor do they offer the MLB Network yet. And there's no telling when they will. They did give us in the Detroit area, our local CBC Ch 9 about a month ago. It came completely unannounced, even though, alot of Detroit area subscribers complained about not having it. In fact, Uverse very rarely lets on when they're going to add new channels. It's, all of a sudden, they're on. Like I said, I like it but, if they don't get their act together about the sports subs, I may have to think about either going back to Comcast or even DTV.

#11 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Internet without TV may be the luck of the CSR.

I'm moving in about a week and a half and when I called AT&T early last month to disconnect my phone so I could transfer the number to Vonage, the girl offered me U-Verse and said I could keep my phone number if I switched to U-Verse. I told her I had a contract with D* and she dropped the conversation like a hot potato. When I called back late last month to schedule the disconnect on my dry loop DSL line and to schedule the installation of the new dry loop DSL line, I went through the same U-Verse conversation. Luckily for me, my move was over a month away and they couldn't schedule the disconnect/reconnect. So I called back yesterday to schedule the disconnect/reconnect and when the girl asked if I would like higher bandwidth, I said sure, but you don't offer anything over the 6M Elite DSL. She said "let me put you on hold for a second." About a minute later, she came back and said "I talked to my boss and I can give you U-Verse without television and a free install and you can have 6M for $35/month, 10M for $55/month or 18M for $65/month." I was already paying $45 for the 6M Elite DSL, so I said like heck yeah, give me 10M. She said no problem and if you ever want to go to 18M, just log onto your account online and make the switch. The only downside is she told me I can’t use my existing DSL modem and I have to have them come out and do their install. So we’ll have to see what the guy does when he shows up. I’m hoping he’ll just give me the new modem and hit the road. However, I have a feeling I’m not going to be that lucky.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#12 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

I've had Uverse for nearly a year now, and I like it alot. The PQ for SD is so much better than cable but, not quite up to par with DTV. The HD PQ is good and has gotten better than say, 6 months ago and there's plenty of HD channels. The only turn off about Uverse is that they don't offer any of the sports subscription pkgs like Center Ice or Extra Innings, nor do they offer the MLB Network yet. And there's no telling when they will. They did give us in the Detroit area, our local CBC Ch 9 about a month ago. It came completely unannounced, even though, alot of Detroit area subscribers complained about not having it. In fact, Uverse very rarely lets on when they're going to add new channels. It's, all of a sudden, they're on. Like I said, I like it but, if they don't get their act together about the sports subs, I may have to think about either going back to Comcast or even DTV.

Uverse is not in my area quite yet, but my friend in Dallas area pointed out to me there is a forum that customers use to talk. This might help you.
http://utalk.att.com/utalk/

Also, what is the situation where, depending how far you are away from a Uverse 'setup' you have either one or two HD feeds? That would be important for me to know if I am ever going to switch from Dish when Uverse makes it in my area.This dictates how many HD programs you can record at one time, I understand...

Edited by hoophead, 29 April 2009 - 07:47 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Some VERY young ATT dude shows up at my door the other day and offers my Uverse which is now scheduling installs in my area. We chat for a while about it. They were even willing to cough up $214 to help pay off my DISH commitment.

I finally tell him NO, that I'm happy with DISH, and he finally leaves.

A few days later I stop in the ATT store and talk to the guys there. TUrns out there's a few problems with ATT. Due to low inventory, you can have no more than 2 DVRS per household. I now have 4 with DISH. You can record 4 shows at once, but only 2 can be HD. The current DVR available can only record 65 hours of HD, my DISH boxes are 100.

The one nice thing is that the HD signal is uncompressed. DISHs change to mpeg4 helped a lot there, but you still get some decompression artifacts occassionally.

All in all, the deal, with internet, would save about $30/month for 6 months then be close to the same.

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

The one nice thing is that the HD signal is uncompressed.

I'm sure that statement came from someone at AT&T, but it isn't true.

No one stores or transmits HD video without compression. Even HD studio cameras perform compression before the signal leaves the camera.

1920*1080 at 8 bit color runs around 2MB (megaBYTES) per frame. At 24 frames, that's 48 MB/s, or roughly 3 GB per minute. You can see how quickly that would add up.

ATSC MPEG2 broadcasts are further compressed down to at least 19MB/sec, and most are compressed even more than that, to allow for subchannels. DirecTV's HD channels, using MPEG4 compression, are typically around 7-8MB/sec.

And... unlike Verizon's FIOS, AT&T absolutely DOES increase the compression rate (and reduce the bandwidth) of their HD channels. They have to, as their system was designed with NO HD channel streams in mind. The specs that Uverse was built for was 4 simultaneous SD streams. In order to offer 1 HD and 3, they had to compress the HD stream with MPEG4 and still increase the compression on the SD channels in order to make it fit. When they went to 2 HD/2 SD, they increased compression even further, and now they're planning to go 3 HD/1 SD, with a further drop in picture quality.

http://www.engadgeth...ion-on-u-verse/

AT&T will increase HD compression on U-verse
by Richard Lawler, posted Sep 22nd 2008 at 1:04AM

Good news, U-verse fans, you'll be upgrading from the current 2 HD / 2 SD video stream system to three live HD streams in 2009. The (potentially) bad news is that comes with the price of additional compression, as AT&T's IPTV service squeezes its MPEG-4 video streams down to 5 Mbps from a current size of 6-8 Mbps, according to CTO John Donovan.

#15 OFFLINE   JeffChap

JeffChap

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

Another thing they fail to mention is that you can only pause live TV on the master DVR unit. The slave units can pause 'recorded' content, but not 'live' content.

#16 OFFLINE   SatelliteJim

SatelliteJim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Another thing they fail to mention is that you can only pause live TV on the master DVR unit. The slave units can pause 'recorded' content, but not 'live' content.

That's true now but, it's supposed to change if and when the second round of updating for the THDVR rolls out. Right now, you can record from the other STB's but, that's about it. THDVR is still pretty nice and now, they've added Media Sharing where you can download music and photos from your computer to your tv and do slideshows with music background and the ability to download video the same way is supposed to come in the future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...