Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MSNBC To Go HD in June

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

What does any of this have to do with MSNBC HD?

We may have drifted away from the specific topic of MSNBC HD but it is pertenent because if you were following the thread (were you?) I was writing about the informational content of the network and how it has changed. Honestly HD won't make the informational quality of a news channel significantly better, if anything all the major cable news channels in the USA have become worse than ever with more infotainment than actual hard news, and that is a shame.

I think the banner for Glen Beck says it best about ALL the news channels " A FUSION of entertainment and enlightenment" . ...Is that so?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

We may have drifted away from the specific topic of MSNBC HD but it is pertenent

You were talking about Ron Paul and censorship, and then you posted a couple videos from Fox News. It's not pertinent, it's all political talk that doesn't belong here.

#83 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Since D* hasn't even gone live with several of the channels they supposedly have HD deals with prior to D11, I doubt we would see this until D12. But that being said, I'm starting to think we won't see much of anything at all until D* is sold. I get the feeling we'll be in a holding pattern on a lot of things until that happens. I sure hope I'm wrong about this...

#84 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

I'm starting to think we won't see much of anything at all until D* is sold. I get the feeling we'll be in a holding pattern on a lot of things until that happens. I sure hope I'm wrong about this...

I doubt you're wrong. I just hope that DirecTV gets sold to a good company (i.e. Verizon and not AT&T) and that it happens quickly.

#85 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

We may have drifted away from the specific topic of MSNBC HD but it is pertenent because if you were following the thread (were you?) I was writing about the informational content of the network and how it has changed. Honestly HD won't make the informational quality of a news channel significantly better, if anything all the major cable news channels in the USA have become worse than ever with more infotainment than actual hard news, and that is a shame.

I think the banner for Glen Beck says it best about ALL the news channels " A FUSION of entertainment and enlightenment" . ...Is that so?

No enlightenment at all..... All of the Corporate media is terrible.....

I watch Link TV and news shows like Democracy Now! and Mosaic to find out what's really going on in the world.

#86 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

Folks, this is your first and last warning...

Please keep to the topic of MSNBC going HD. I've already cleaned up several off topic posts and if you cannot have a polite conversation about this topic, one that does not delve into politics, I will reluctantly close this thread.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#87 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,736 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

Since D* hasn't even gone live with several of the channels they supposedly have HD deals with prior to D11, I doubt we would see this until D12. But that being said, I'm starting to think we won't see much of anything at all until D* is sold. I get the feeling we'll be in a holding pattern on a lot of things until that happens. I sure hope I'm wrong about this...

Which channels do they have HD deals that they haven't gone live with?

I doubt you're wrong. I just hope that DirecTV gets sold to a good company (i.e. Verizon and not AT&T) and that it happens quickly.

I agree.

#88 OFFLINE   HDRoberts

HDRoberts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

Well, word is that at the Dish Network Team Summit (retailer/installer convention), they announced MSNBC would come on release day. So the competition will have it.

#89 OFFLINE   CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

Which channels do they have HD deals that they haven't gone live with?

HBO/Cinemax and I think Hallmark. These deals were likely set up by the previous owners though so knowing Liberty they probably wanted to renegotiate and pay less for the channels so Malone could get richer while his customers get nothing.

#90 OFFLINE   CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

Agreed on both counts.

#91 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

Spoken by someone who has never had to work for either of these outfits or deal with service trouble shooting problems :lol:

#92 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

If NBC/Universal is moving ahead with MSNBC-HD, maybe they'll launch Chiller and Sleuth HD later this year. October 2008 was the original plan, October 2009 would be a nice alternative.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#93 OFFLINE   SatliteHD

SatliteHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

HBO/Cinemax and I think Hallmark. These deals were likely set up by the previous owners though so knowing Liberty they probably wanted to renegotiate and pay less for the channels so Malone could get richer while his customers get nothing.

I know I feel like TCI was raised from the dead!
The FCC and such should hae never let John Malone in when
we all know the history of TCI which gave the least channels and
high price! TCI had the most horrible service I ever seen.

#94 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

Spoken by someone who has never had to work for either of these outfits or deal with service trouble shooting problems :lol:

You'll find someone with a bad thing to say about any company. I'm not concerned with that.

#95 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

Maybe it's not appropriate for this thread, but I'll ask anyway. Anyone know what it takes to "convert" a channel from SD to HD? I am guessing it's not as simple as to start recording your shows with an HD camera!! To this day, it surprises me that ALL networks just don't flip the switch and go HD. Heck, if they don't have the content, they could do what TBS did until they do, and just use "psudo" HD. I would think it's cheaper and cheaper to make the switch as the technology is more prevelent.

#96 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

Anyone know what it takes to "convert" a channel from SD to HD?

In short, they have to replace every piece of equipment in the studio and build a new transmission chain, as well as secure new transmission paths to distribute their HD signal. That's why switches to HD routinely occur with a switch to a whole new studio.

#97 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

In short, they have to replace every piece of equipment in the studio and build a new transmission chain, as well as secure new transmission paths to distribute their HD signal. That's why switches to HD routinely occur with a switch to a whole new studio.

Got it, I knew it couldn't be easy :)

#98 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

Excellent suggestion. I highly recommend the one hour of news on there called Democracy Now.

Link has the most unbiased content on major media outlets.

I really used to like MSNBC a few years or so ago because they genuinely seemed to be unbiased about reporting the news they weren't of the Demopublican stripe. But very independent heck many times they actually gave the Constitutional, Libertarians, and Green + others a voice as well. Now MSNBC is the Democratic party network and Faux is the Republican newtork. CNN is somewhat objective, yet only Lou Dobbs seems to be an independent voice their as well. Oddly, that obnoxious Glenn Beck on Faux News has been given some room to talk about the "one party system" we have in the USA. Heck he even had a Ron Paul supporter (regular joe) in the audience about the tea parties recently mention the constitution party and how we need to get back to our forefather's values when it came to government. Wow I wonder why the powers that be are allowing this now. During the election Ron Paul couldn't get any exposure even though he had wide support accross the country. I wonder why?...censorship???.

not sure this post belongs in this thread . . . guys, try to stick to the topic. what is it about Fox news, MSNBC and CNN . . . :confused:
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#99 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

Kind of hard when the first post of the thread is a political slam.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#100 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Closed Thread until team has time to discuss if it should be re-opened. At a minimum it needs some political clean up.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...