Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Raleigh NC, Indoor Omni directional Antenna Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   byron2008

byron2008

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

I'm looking to get good indoor antenna to pick up HD and digital channels for a 32" Samsung LNS3251DX/X tv. Samsung advised me to get something with an omni-directional + amplifier.

Please share any and all advice. I'd really like to avoid having something outside.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

A lot depends on where you are located in Raleigh and what stuff is in between you and the towers.

I have two Dish receivers, for example, in North Raleigh.

In my main room I need a directional pointed at the Clayton antenna farm + another (omni or directional) pointed for PBS out of Chapel Hill.

In my bedroom, however, with a small omni 1/4-wave I'm getting pretty good signal on everything except for channel 40.

I can't completely explain the difference just a few feet and on the other side of one wall in my house.. but my antenna needs are clearly different just in that small amount of movement.

I always recommend buying from places like Radio Shack, because they have a liberal return policy that allows you to try a few different kinds of antennas until you find one (or a combination) that works.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Yes, big difference as to where in Raleigh you are. Can you give us an idea?
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,714 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'd recommend you head over to here -

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=147473

and include the plot from www.tvfool.com for your exact address.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   byron2008

byron2008

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for helping pass along advice to find a decent indoor antenna for our Samsung tv. Looking to buy something soon.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

The best indoor antenna is a small antenna mounted outdoors.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

spam firewall