Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Smart Card Swap Delayed

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

After approximately 10 calls to try and rectify my black screen on my international channels, I was told for the third time today that shipping of "G3" smart cards has been "postponed" until an unknown date.

Two CSRs and and 2nd level tech said I am basically SOL and that I am not targeted to receive new cards before July. They cannot turn the black channels back on. I have to wait for the cards.

BUT, all orders for "Purple cards" have beed delayed. They do not know when they can ship them.

So I guess the card swap has run into a snag. Perhaps they have run out of cards?

I threatened to cancel and they were happy to accomodate me even though I pay over $150 a month autopay on credit card for six years.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lostman72

lostman72

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

So you have no Tv at all? They better be giving you a credit for what you pay for that you are not getting?

#3 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

I have TV, just not my international channels.

They tried to turn them on and they can't without a new card but they have stopped sending cards!!

#4 OFFLINE   FSM Rage

FSM Rage

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

an over ride can be sent to the internal smart card to allow your channels to be viewed. do you happen to know what sat. you are set up with right now to receive your int. channels. sounds like you may have a migration problem rather than authorization problem. if it was a smart card problem it would tell you you are not auth. to view the channel.

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

an over ride can be sent to the internal smart card to allow your channels to be viewed. do you happen to know what sat. you are set up with right now to receive your int. channels. sounds like you may have a migration problem rather than authorization problem. if it was a smart card problem it would tell you you are not auth. to view the channel.

Not if they have been changed to use the new security scheme. So if they really have delayed the swap, they need to reverse the use of the new security on these channels. And Delay the next set as well. If I remember right, Starz and Hbo were scheduled on the 8th and 15th.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Needs to make sure he is receiving 118.7 satellite, before doing anything else.

#7 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

I have 118 and they cannot turn the channels back on using the old cards. They are on the new encryption. Most CSRs I spoke with said they can turn them back on but 2nd level tech says it won't work.

#8 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Yes, you do need the new G3 smartcards.

The system Dishnet uses won't allow you to change programming if you haven't received the new scards yet if they have already been sent.

Unfortunately in some cases the system will postpone that shipment and doesn't give the agent a hard shipdate whatsoever, but programming shouldn't be effected.

The smartcard reverse some may be referencing is if Dishnet has to SEND you another shipment of scards because you didn't receive the prior ones. At that point the system automatically reverts to the original scards on the acct so that you can still watch programming until you get the new scards.

#9 OFFLINE   Lt Disher

Lt Disher

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Why not send an e-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com?

It seems crazy that they can't get a card out to you before July, since you do not have the programming available and you are paying for it.

#10 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

LT they should have no problem waiving the programming charges, deeming it as Time Without Service.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

The smartcard reverse some may be referencing is if Dishnet has to SEND you another shipment of scards because you didn't receive the prior ones. At that point the system automatically reverts to the original scards on the acct so that you can still watch programming until you get the new scards.

I've had a couple of customers call me. Both have had new cards shipped to them (one of them has had TWO sets shipped), but the customers "lost" them and now they don't have their International programming. And they won't be able to get it back until they receive yet another set of cards.

Apparently there's quite a large number of customers who threw out their original G3 cards, and the security vendor is having to make up a bunch more cards to replace them.

#12 OFFLINE   Lt Disher

Lt Disher

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

The latest twitter from Dish is telling a user that they can help with smart card issues. Maybe Peano should try twitter.

#13 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

LT they should have no problem waiving the programming charges, deeming it as Time Without Service.

They told me I have to wait a month without service and then call and ask for a credit. And I have to call each month I am missing the internationals.

And I never received any mailings from Dish Network. I have been keenly watching for them. So I have not "thrown out" a shipment of cards.

#14 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

I've had a couple of customers call me. Both have had new cards shipped to them (one of them has had TWO sets shipped), but the customers "lost" them and now they don't have their International programming. And they won't be able to get it back until they receive yet another set of cards.

Apparently there's quite a large number of customers who threw out their original G3 cards, and the security vendor is having to make up a bunch more cards to replace them.

If dish users can't insert a card or throw them away causing a delay in switching to the new encryption code, you can now understand why the nationwide switchover to DTV was delayed from Feb 17 to June 12. Connecting cables and a box is more complicated than inserting a card.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#15 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

The latest twitter from Dish is telling a user that they can help with smart card issues. Maybe Peano should try twitter.

You might offer some assistance as to how Peano might go about getting information about this from Twitter.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#16 OFFLINE   Lt Disher

Lt Disher

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

You might offer some assistance as to how Peano might go about getting information about this from Twitter.

The website is http://twitter.com/dishnetwork

You have to sign up for twitter and then you can send messages to to Dish network on twitter and they may respond to you. For more info on Twitter itself, he may look at their website www.twitter.com

#17 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

Seems strange that I can't get answers by calling them and I have to go through an annoying blog site.

I have received some advice from members here and will try it on Monday during business hours. I refuse to talk to India again.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

ceo@ is a good avenue if you don't give a tweet about twitter.
Yes, it is a shame that not all access to CS is equal and good.

#19 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

That is correct IIP and the correct route to take is verify the address before shipping another set if the system will allow it.

#20 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

Update:

I am getting more messages that I will lose more programming April 16. I managed to get Dish to send me a new card UPS - so they say - nothing has shown up. They would only send one. I need four. They asked me to pick one receiver and that is the only one they will send it for.

Again, they told me I am not targeted to receive new cards yet. They said shipping of new cards has been delayed and they could not tell me when I could expect the other three I need.

If I lose anymore channels before I get the rest of the cards I am canceling. I am fed up.

spam firewall