Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Smart Card Swap Delayed

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

Sure, would make a nice addition to the EKB smartcard page I'm working on that's still a rough draft. It currently has a picture of the first 3 smart cards and a few random notes (what is it, how does it work, "didn't need one before," DNASP241, date of first swap?, etc) that need to be turned into coherent sentences. If someone could help with that, the page can go live a lot sooner. Today I have a long list of long-promised fixes to the channel charts to work on.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   chiotti

chiotti

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

anyone got an idea? i have the dreaded code 360 you must install new smart card to watch this channel . but the 6 dif csrs tell me that I dont need 1.. I dont know where to turn to next.

#43 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

As an FYI - I got my purple card for my 625 (AT200 (or whatever they call it now) + locals) Saturday Apr 18 in the mail, stuck it in the slot, 15 minutes later was watching all my subscribed programming again. Couldn't be easier. Didn't even check the "This is how you do a card swap" channel (998)... If you couldn't tell the envelope was from Dish and had to do with your continued viewing of programming - what can I say - you're an idiot.

If somebody has a site where I can upload a picture to - I'd be glad to post the envelope.

And it came from Colorado.

Now you are beginning to understand what I was talking about a year and a half ago when I talked about change. I said then that Americans resist change. Now you are seeing Dish users resist change and the card swap has been delayed just as the national over the air analog shutdown was delayed. Something as simple as inserting a card in a slot meets with resistance. Some figure "we didn't need one before, why do we need one now?" with a new card to install or installing a converter box. Americans have a very hard time with any type of change, no matter how simple. I have seen it many times during my lifetime and you will too.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#44 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

I dont know where to turn to next.

Directv

#45 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

anyone got an idea? i have the dreaded code 360 you must install new smart card to watch this channel . but the 6 dif csrs tell me that I dont need 1.. I dont know where to turn to next.

If you have talked to technical support (not the standard csr) and you've gotten no help, send an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com including your name, the phone number tied to the account, and your cell phone if that's where you get your calls.

It will take a few days, but you will likely get a phone call and someone will solve your problem.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#46 OFFLINE   spdmonkey

spdmonkey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

Well my smart card situation just got VERY interesting. I had started making calls to the number that popped up on my screen about needing the cards. Was assured that I would not lose any channels. Cards would come blah blah blah. Of course nothing changed. I lost about 20 channels and every time I called I was told that NO cards were on their way although there was a record of calls. Well I finally tried the ceo@echostar thing and nothing changed after 4 more days. I finally called and threatened to cancel my $167 a month account. I have been with DISH since June of 1996. Nearly 13 years. The CSR said they would fix it and that in 2 days my cards would arrive. Well 3 days later 1 card shows up in a UPS 2nd day package. Whopee. Except that 1 have 3 HD receivers on my account. I call to complain and get the same old runaround. We will send you a card. The next day I get 3 UPS 2nd day packages. First one has 1 card. 2nd one has 2 cards. Third one has 3 cards.

OK

Today (monday) I get the standard card replacement package thats pretty well marked without saying what it is for. It contains: 4 cards.

OK then I call tonight and there is no record of cards being sent to me...

Anybody want to guess which of the 11 cards I have I should try inserting? I am not making this up. In fact I should take a picture of all this for you to see. I will try calling again during the day Tuesday to sort thru this. I have a feeling that NOBODY at Dish is going to believe me. My only thought is that the 3 card package was courtesy of the CEO deal as my email was quite specific. Any other guesses?

:lol::nono2::hurah::nono::eek2:

Edited by spdmonkey, 27 April 2009 - 08:17 PM.
spelling

DiSH Customer since June 1996 when Arizona and Michigan residents could buy a system for far less then the rest of the U.S. Oh the good ol days.

#47 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

Well my smart card situation just got VERY interesting. I had started making calls to the number that popped up on my screen about needing the cards. Was assured that I would not lose any channels. Cards would come blah blah blah. Of course nothing changed. I lost about 20 channels and every time I called I was told that NO cards were on their way although there was a record of calls. Well I finally tried the ceo@echostar thing and nothing changed after 4 more days. I finally called and threatened to cancel my $167 a month account. I have been with DISH since June of 1996. Nearly 13 years. The CSR said they would fix it and that in 2 days my cards would arrive. Well 3 days later 1 card shows up in a UPS 2nd day package. Whopee. Except that 1 have 3 HD receivers on my account. I call to complain and get the same old runaround. We will send you a card. The next day I get 3 UPS 2nd day packages. First one has 1 card. 2nd one has 2 cards. Third one has 3 cards.

OK

Today (monday) I get the standard card replacement package thats pretty well marked without saying what it is for. It contains: 4 cards.

OK then I call tonight and there is no record of cards being sent to me...

Anybody want to guess which of the 11 cards I have I should try inserting? I am not making this up. In fact I should take a picture of all this for you to see. I will try calling again during the day Tuesday to sort thru this. I have a feeling that NOBODY at Dish is going to believe me. My only thought is that the 3 card package was courtesy of the CEO deal as my email was quite specific. Any other guesses?

:lol::nono2::hurah::nono::eek2:

If they have a specific receiver mentioned, insert the one with the latest ship date. Otherwise insert one of the random ones probably doesn't matter which ship date. Hopefully you will be able to get all the receivers up on the new cards. Make sure you hold on to the others, as you may be charged for them if you don't return them. I wouldn't return any until you have some form of RA.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#48 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

Use the 4 cards that came in the DISH envelope. I just finished one of these "SMOOTH" card exchanges. I got 2 cards in UPS envelope and tried to exchange the cards but they couldn't because I had 3 in the mail. Eventually I got a third in a FEDEX envelope and as of this morning I have purple cards in all 4 of my receivers but it has taken almost a month. Also 21 days after the mailing of my 3 cards they did turn off programmming on the affected receivers. I still haven't received those cards.

#49 OFFLINE   Aransay

Aransay

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

acoruding tio my sveral hd chanenel ahve wiche do n2 and soem laino ones
WAITING AXXIUSLY TO BE FIRST CUSTUMER OF THE NEW MEXICO DISH SERVICES RELATED: hoping t otest it soon

#50 OFFLINE   spdmonkey

spdmonkey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Well I decided that the envelope with the 4 cards that had CORRECT receiver numbers would be the winners and I just swapped out all 3. They all booted back up and channels are back. I have 2 211's and a 622 and none had smart cards in them previously. My one 211 currently resides inside the wall with a remote sensor attached so that no cords are seen in my kitchen. It attaches to a 32" LCD that is recessed into the wall. Its quite the job to get to it. I hope they are done with cards swaps for awhile as I really hate pulling all that out of the wall.

They worked! Now I have to figure a way to prove to DISH that these 7 other cards were actually mailed back. They sent me 4 different UPS prepaid labels.....
DiSH Customer since June 1996 when Arizona and Michigan residents could buy a system for far less then the rest of the U.S. Oh the good ol days.

#51 OFFLINE   It'sMike

It'sMike

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

I have been waiting patiently for cards since beginning to see the warnings and am now losing channels. I've scoured the threads and can't tell if the majority of people have gotten their cards automatically or if pretty much everyone has to call and complain?

I've tried the Dish web site smartcard page and after entering my details keep getting "Due to Technical Difficulties the System is Unable to Process Your Request at This Time." Great, thanks Dish!

#52 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

I have been waiting patiently for cards since beginning to see the warnings and am now losing channels. I've scoured the threads and can't tell if the majority of people have gotten their cards automatically or if pretty much everyone has to call and complain?

I've tried the Dish web site smartcard page and after entering my details keep getting "Due to Technical Difficulties the System is Unable to Process Your Request at This Time." Great, thanks Dish!

Start with the 800# 888-241-2205 if that group can't help try ceo@dishnetwork,com:)

#53 OFFLINE   candy20

candy20

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

if i have a cardless ird do have to undo all that i've done to the receiver to receive update:confused::confused::(

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

if i have a cardless ird do have to undo all that i've done to the receiver to receive update:confused::confused::(

Just buy a legit receiver and a subscription and you will be fine.

Subscribers are receiving physical smart cards that will be inserted into the slot on the front of their receiver(s) and override the internal smart card. It should be plug and play, for subscribers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...