Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Canceling Dish Network -- Don't we own hardware?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samalex

samalex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

We've been with DishNetwork for about 3 years now, but we're planning on canceling mainly because with the few shows we watch we can get online or from AppleTV. Also we're already out of our initial 2-year contract.

Anyway, we may try to go back with Dish in the future if we find we just can't live without it, but my question is don't we own the hardware? When we bought our HDTV about 18 months ago we upgraded to a VIP 722 DVR and spent around $200 for the receiver from Dish. Since we were out of cash up front for the receiver isn't it ours??? If we ever choose to go back with Dish I'd like to think we could just call them and reactivate the receiver, but I'm afraid they'll ask for it back which makes no since because we paid for it. And if they do demand for it back then what was that $200 for?

Thanks... I just want to be prepared for when I call to cancel on what to expect.

Sam Alex
samalex@gmail.com

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Most likely you do not own it. Full purchase price would be more than $200.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Hi,

We've been with DishNetwork for about 3 years now, but we're planning on canceling mainly because with the few shows we watch we can get online or from AppleTV. Also we're already out of our initial 2-year contract.

Anyway, we may try to go back with Dish in the future if we find we just can't live without it, but my question is don't we own the hardware? When we bought our HDTV about 18 months ago we upgraded to a VIP 722 DVR and spent around $200 for the receiver from Dish. Since we were out of cash up front for the receiver isn't it ours??? If we ever choose to go back with Dish I'd like to think we could just call them and reactivate the receiver, but I'm afraid they'll ask for it back which makes no since because we paid for it. And if they do demand for it back then what was that $200 for?

Thanks... I just want to be prepared for when I call to cancel on what to expect.

Sam Alex
samalex@gmail.com

If you got your equipment from Dish, you are leasing. The $200 was for upgrading.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   clyde sauls

clyde sauls

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

Consider just keeping dish for the local channels. I know they use to let you just subs to local. Does anyone know if they still do.

#5 OFFLINE   samalex

samalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Well that's disappointing. We're not 100% sure we won't decide to come back to Dish in a few months, and if we do then I'd rather not have to be out the cash for a new everything since Dish nickle and dimes their customers every step of the way. Plus I hate contracts, and that would mean another 24 month one.

I may just reduce our plan since we're on the Top 250 package, or whatever they're calling it now.

Another reason we're looking at this now is because we're having a new roof put on today, and they'll be removing the dish. I'll need to call Dishnetwork to have it put back on, and I figured if we're going to cancel now's the best time to do so. Does anyone know what Dish would charge to just put the dish back up? Just curious... I'm calling them here in a bit to get some answers and suggestions from them on everything.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sam Alex

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

When you own, there is no commitment.

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

If they'll let you suspend your acount for 6 months or so and kep the equipment during that period, you could try that and that should give you time to see if you can live without it. just tell them that for financial reasons or something you need to suspend but if/when you come back you don't want to have to plunk down money to get equipment back. They should understand because in 60 months DirecTv or your local cable co. will offer free equipment.

#8 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

When you own equipment it is still possible to have a commitment, you are probably referencing to the FFA promo, Free-for-All.

It's a cash and carry, no commitment, meaning you purchase the equipment.

We do still offer to only get Locals on the account as well, but you would pay an access fee because you have full access to the add'l programming but only want locals.

And you can also put the account on a Dish Pause status, which is $5/mo for up to 6 months if you want to see what life is like without Dish.

Hope that answered your questions.

#9 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

When you own, there is no commitment.

This is arguable on two points:

1. You may be committed just for the installation and certainly if you want to avail yourself of any of the promotional offers.

2. The ViP722 is not owned.

If you wait six months or more, you may be able to get a 722 for free as a "new" subscriber (but not a "never before" subscriber).

#10 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

To keep the 722, you would also have to subscribe to HD or pay a $5 HD Enabling fee.

The Service Access fee is $6 if you don't subscribe to a basic package.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

The purchase price for a 722 is $549, and if you buy it, you don't get the dish or installation for free. Figure another $150-$200 for that.

Leasing means you paid $200 total, which saved you a big chunk of money, but, no, you don't own the equipment.

A service call to reinstall the dish is $99, which covers up to 2 hours of tech labor. Beyond the first 2 hours, it's $59/hour. Unless the tech has to re-run the lines, he'll almost certainly be done in under 2 hours.

#12 OFFLINE   samalex

samalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I called Dish and they said when I switched to the VIP722 in Nov 2007 it started another 18 month commitment, so I can't drop it for another couple of months unless I want to pay the fees, which I didn't ask what they were. They also did reaffirm that the fee I paid was a lease and I would have to return the DVR.

As for getting the dish set back up on the house I have that scheduled for this Tuesday and it'll be $49. The guy I spoke to said it's normally $99 but he'd drop $50 for being such a long customer, which was odd since we've only had Dish for alittle over three years.

At any rate we're looking at a couple of options:
- Cancel and pay whatever fees
- Get dish put back on house and keep current programming
- Get dish put back on house and change the current plan

I'm honestly looking at the third option. We currently have the Top 250 package with local channels and we're paying just under $100. If we dropped it to like the TurboHD Bronze with local channels it'd be cut in half which would be nice. I have to talk it over with my wife, but that may be the route we take.

Thanks for all the great info and help ...

Sam Alex

#13 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

We do still offer to only get Locals on the account as well, but you would pay an access fee because you have full access to the add'l programming but only want locals.

And you can also put the account on a Dish Pause status, which is $5/mo for up to 6 months if you want to see what life is like without Dish.

Hope that answered your questions.

It prompted questions of my own though!

Pause is $5/month for owned equipment, but isn't it $10/month if leased equipment? Not sure where I got that into my head, but the thought could be removed if someone knows differently.

Owned or leased, the ViP should have HD Enable fee added shouldn't it?

Everybody I knew that was Locals only USED to have the Access fee added, but that changed to a $10 Locals only package that didn't have the Access fee added.

Owned equipment should qualify for the $10 Welcome or $15 Welcome w/ locals that would only need the HD Enable fee added - right? Is that also available to leased receiver users?

#14 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

At any rate we're looking at a couple of options:
- Cancel and pay whatever fees

The 18 month commit for the ViP was $240, or $13.33 for each month remaining on the 18 months.

You mentioned coming back in a few months. There is an offer available to returning subscribers that comes close to a new sub offer (you have to commit to 2 years, etc) but you have to have subscribed for 6 months, been gone for 6 months, left in good standing, ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...