Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

May drop ST

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Been a st subscriber since 1996. This year I may have to drop it. Work is the worst I have ever seen it. Down to 32 hours a week and really it is week to week on if our company will make it through these tough times. Hopefully things will pick up before the season starts. If not I do have sirius radio to fall back on. Can you listen online without paying a fee?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   couchpotato

couchpotato

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

I canceled my auto renew for ST last week, due to my job loss last fall. If things are any better come fall, I'll renew it, hopefully with free Superfan like last year. I also have been a Sirius sub since 03, & it is now $2.99 a month to listen online, unless you have a lengthy sub, 1 year, lifetime, etc. Also no NFL games are streamed online though Sirius, FYI...
4 DTV HR21's
5 DTV H21's
XM XpressRC
Sirius Starmate Replay
Sirius JVC-AVX11 In 05 Pacifica Touring AWD

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

If you want to listen to NFL games online, you have to subscribe to NFL Field Pass which is $9.95/mo. NFL Field Pass Link
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

I do remember reading that sirius NFL was not available online. $2.99 I can live with. I quess I didn't no you could get it. Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

While I can understand preparing due to the economy and it sucks to hear about all the job loss's. I wouldn't recommend removing the NFLST until August. This gives you a chance to see if something has changed with your finances or to see if something changes with the offer. Removing it now just means you can't get the auto renew price if something changes.

#6 OFFLINE   giantfan9

giantfan9

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

I cancelled Sunday Ticket at the beginning of last football season. Here in Los Angeles we get three (3) games during the day, but not a great selection. However, for the most part after the first couple of weeks one hardly missed Sunday Ticket. The cost plus the Superfan for HD just became cost prohibitive!

I think as far as Sunday Ticket goes D* has shot themselves in the foot!

Maybe they should be like MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice by including HD as part of the package. HD is now the standard and should be treated as such!

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

I cancelled Sunday Ticket at the beginning of last football season. Here in Los Angeles we get three (3) games during the day, but not a great selection. However, for the most part after the first couple of weeks one hardly missed Sunday Ticket. The cost plus the Superfan for HD just became cost prohibitive!

I think as far as Sunday Ticket goes D* has shot themselves in the foot!

Maybe they should be like MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice by including HD as part of the package. HD is now the standard and should be treated as such!

HD is nowhere near the standard. It's not even dominant with the people who own HD TV's. The only reason the HD is included this year in the MLBEI is because the strike zone channel is gone and therefor there is nothing more to the SF package other then HD. Won't even go into the economics of the NHL but right now they can't do anything to drive people away as their market share is getting smaller yearly.

If you're happy without the NFLST then great, but for some of us we want it and will pay for it. The red zone channel alone is worth the cost to me. If that ever went away I could watch games in SD and be ok with it.

#8 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

I haven't dropped it yet. I'm going to wait. It will be tough if I have to let it go. ST is why I have DTV.

#9 OFFLINE   Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

ST is a major reason why I first got D*. But back then I had friends coming over every Sunday. They brought the beer and food and I provided the games. Over the last few years that has not been the case. Now for just me, it appears to have gotten to the point of being too expensive. I'm going to wait until August to decide but I really see myself dropping it. Add to the lack of people coming over that I miss probably 5-7 weeks of the season because I am at the pool or out of town.

I would consider the college package though. But seems to me not enough SEC action on there and it is mostly ABC regional.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

I guess if I was a Vikings fan....I wouldn't have much need for NFL ST either...:D

All kidding aside....it gets tougher ever year now going through the process of "do I renew or not?".

I have also been there since the beginning of ST, but am challenged each year on continuing.

I do like the Red Zone, HD Game Mix, and other features....no doubt. But in the end, its about the cost too.

It's a personal choice.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

I guess if I was a Vikings fan....I wouldn't have much need for NFL ST either...:D

All kidding aside....it gets tougher ever year now going through the process of "do I renew or not?".

I have also been there since the beginning of ST, but am challenged each year on continuing.

I do like the Red Zone, HD Game Mix, and other features....no doubt. But in the end, its about the cost too.

It's a personal choice.

Agreed, I used to renew it every year without even blinking an eye. Now, I usually kick it around for awhile, and then decide on keeping it. It may be different this year though.

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Whats the latest you can cancel it without being charged?

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Whats the latest you can cancel it without being charged?

Thanks

I think its the first month it shows up on your bill (about June/July)...or at least that's what I was told in the past.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   wolfman730

wolfman730

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Here's my opinion on this subject. Red Zone channel, Game mix and other features should be treated as "premium channels". Anyone whos wants them, should pay a fee for those channels. HD games should be included in the price of ST, after all we are already paying an HD access fee. I don't even use the extra features. I just want the games in HD.

#15 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Agreed, I used to renew it every year without even blinking an eye. Now, I usually kick it around for awhile, and then decide on keeping it. It may be different this year though.

Agreed here. I cancelled my sub already. I am going to wait it out and see if I can get the SF Package free. If not I think aftger 10 years its done for me. I will miss it badly....but hey almost $400 with SF is alot
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#16 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

don't know if it'll have any impact but I was solicited to express my thoughts on D* services via this link: http://directv.com/thanks and I made them aware of what I like and what I don't. Most of my emphasis was on the economy and my possible cancellation of NFLST due to the rising cost. I've yet to pay for SF and I refuse to do so. Maybe if enough folks express their thoughts prior to their '09 season offers, it may make a difference...

#17 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

It's a personal choice.

Ouch. Always will be a Vikings fan. Our day should get here before I die. Hopefully

#18 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

I've never given a second thought to letting my ST sub renew, but I have been toying with the idea of not getting it this year as well. It's not that I can't afford it, but I also have a serious issue with paying more to get the games in HD. My deciding factor will be when the 2009 schedule comes out and see how many games the Titans have on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday night this year, and if it's three or more I'm dropping it! I know the season opener against the Steelers will be on NBC so one down two to go.:D

#19 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

I've done the math, if you live outside your favorite team market, dropping NFLST will cost you more.. You'll wind up at a bar spending money...

#20 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

Ouch. Always will be a Vikings fan. Our day should get here before I die. Hopefully

Right there with ya, even though I'm a Charger fan & have had season tix and ST since 2000. :D

Last season, my bolts had enough home night games (Sunday, Monday & Thursday) for me to enjoy ST and still make it to the game. As I see it, if every home game is in the afternoon, then I'll only get to enjoy nfl ST about 9 weeks out of the season (8 away + the bye week). The season opener is a Monday nighter in Oakland this year, so that's one full weekend to enjoy it.

The 2009 schedule should come out some time this week, so once I see that, I'll decide if I want to keep ST or not.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

spam firewall