Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any word on MLB on Sirius?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   big daddy kool

big daddy kool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Or will it be stay on XM only?:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joebbaseball

joebbaseball

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I spoke with a csr from Sirius yesterday and he said if he was a betting man he'd bet Sirius would get it. He said he heard they were talking, but also said something to the affect that it could be by opening day, or it could be some time this summer. I've finally given up on it and sold all my sirius stuff. I'm in the process of getting xm. What a pain! It just seems like xm with the best of sirius pretty much includes everything.
Joe

#3 OFFLINE   Undertaker

Undertaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

I bet we don't get it. What a shame. I have the "Best of XM"????? Maybe they should rename it "Almost the Best of XM"

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

I wouldn't blame any issues on SIRI. MLB has awfully strange regulations, and SIRI may be held captive to MLB here.

#5 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

I think it's more about the cost issue. It's from the XM satellites and they'd have to send an extra feed through the Sirius satellite. At the rate they're losing cash after the FCC and Congress completely screwed them, they have to save every penny they can.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Umm.. Not a chance for that being the issue. It's not like it takes extra electricity to beam the uplinks to the satellites. Sice the merger a lot of backroom operations have been merged. The people and resources are there to handle the situation. What is lacking is the contractual legalese for the Sirius side of things.

#7 ONLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

No MLB today on Sirius. I have 5 Sirius with the "?best?" of XM subscriptions. 2 Pioneer home receivers, one vehicle factory unit, and 2 plug and plays. None of them are able to receive XM programming. I would have to purchase the MIRGE RADIO and all of the accessories.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#8 ONLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

I read on Orbitcast that MLB play by play will be added on the Sirius side on May 1st. Has anyone else heard or been able to confirm this?
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#9 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

I read on Orbitcast that MLB play by play will be added on the Sirius side on May 1st. Has anyone else heard or been able to confirm this?

I'm sticking with I'll believe it when I see it or hear it, and right now my subscription is 'sleeping' (suspended), so I may not hear it then.

Honestly, I'm not really missing it (Sirius) all that much and would rather spend the $$ on other things right now. Much the same as I've cut back some on my DirecTV subscription and am not really missing the channels that I dropped there either.

If Sirius and MLB had worked out the issues before the season had started I probably wouldn't have suspended the account, but they didn't and it just helped push me into almost cancelling, and now just leaving the account on hold just to save on a possible reconnect fee.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#10 OFFLINE   cowboy620

cowboy620

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

try getting the mirge radio. i did, so i get the best of everything. i did to replace my old delphi radio for xm. it was only $7 more a month. which is a bargan. i wanted the nascar channle, which i used to have on xm. but i like having mlb on xm!. but either way i'm covered so i can hear red sox and atlanta braves. my reciver even lets me know when their playing.

i love that feature. plus the color screen allows you to see it when the sun hit's the screen.

#11 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

bdowell i agree with you. I thought about going to Sirius if they would have gotten the MLB but are local Fm station has picked up the Cubs plus we get them on our local am radio so I see no need for Sirius xm. We get the Cub games on tv no need to get Sirius xm- Like you i cancelled the service abt a year ago and have not missed it at all. Even though I have D i dont llisten to the music as much now that i can stream on line for free. I hate to say it but Sirius Xm will be gone in a few years. Max.

#12 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

If by "Sirius XM will be gone" you mean the current corporation, you could be right (depending on how the future financing works out). Sirius XM, the *service* isn't going anywhere. They have satellites, ground stations, content contracts and 20 million customers giving them basically $20M A MONTH. A bankruptcy would hose the shareholders and bondholders but the satellites would continue to operate under the auspices of whomever would buy the assets.

#13 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

If by "Sirius XM will be gone" you mean the current corporation, you could be right (depending on how the future financing works out). Sirius XM, the *service* isn't going anywhere. They have satellites, ground stations, content contracts and 20 million customers giving them basically $20M A MONTH. A bankruptcy would hose the shareholders and bondholders but the satellites would continue to operate under the auspices of whomever would buy the assets.

I think you meant 20 million customers giving them about $200M per month (or about $2.4 billion per year) If Sirius XM does go bankrupt, whoever ends up owing everything that Sirius XM is right now (minus the billions of dollars of debt) will have a cash cow on their hands. Doing anything but continuing to operate it as the current satellite radio company would be foolish. At that point they could even offer Howard Stern a raise to stay another five years.

Edited by cartrivision, 05 May 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

I think you meant 20 million customers giving them about $200M per month (or about $2.4 billion per year)

Yes, that's what I meant. It's just the "sky is falling" types thinking satellite radio will go dark that are a hot-button with me.

#15 OFFLINE   Anthony1967

Anthony1967

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

I Agree. That is the best way to go. I think the XM Hardware is way better too.
Sirius Sportster 5 with the Best of XM for Life and a Audiovox Express RC and express EZ also Factory Honda and Accra XM Plus best of Sirius

#16 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

I'm sure that XM pays MLB a fee based on the number of customers. If they suddenly started including MLB on Sirius that fee would go up considerably without any additional income for Sirius. Unless a new deal is worked with MLB or an increased rate for Sirius, it's probably not going to happen.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#17 ONLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

Sorry to add to the speculation but I just got off the phone w/ Sirius. I had decided to bite the bullet and swap my sportster out for a Mirge and all of the fix ens. The CSR told me to wait. He said that He had just received word that the 2nd week of June MLB play-by-play would be added for Sirius subs.
Sorry, Just relating what I was told.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#18 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

You are forgetting the only reason why they have 20 million is because of the merger if the merger had not happened they would be gone. Plus Sirius will fail in the end because people want reliable service. I am going to cancel the stiletto because i can only use it when i am walikng and i had the boombox can only use it in one room. Am not going to pay an extra 40 bucks for antenna. Plus with the economy now people are not going to be willing to pay for radio. Like i say dont know when Sirius will fail it's just a matter of time. Why pay for radio when you can stream for free on line. I like the idea of Sirius but people want reliable service.

#19 OFFLINE   Undertaker

Undertaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

You are forgetting the only reason why they have 20 million is because of the merger if the merger had not happened they would be gone. Plus Sirius will fail in the end because people want reliable service. I am going to cancel the stiletto because i can only use it when i am walikng and i had the boombox can only use it in one room. Am not going to pay an extra 40 bucks for antenna. Plus with the economy now people are not going to be willing to pay for radio. Like i say dont know when Sirius will fail it's just a matter of time. Why pay for radio when you can stream for free on line. I like the idea of Sirius but people want reliable service.

I don't think they are going to fail. I also have a boombox and I have used it at work and also in everyroom of my house. I'm sorry that's not the same for you. Just because you have a problems doesn't mean that everyone is unhappy with their service. Also, you can't compare "free online streaming" with what you get with a Sirius Subscription. Many of the things I want is not free online, and I'm sure there are others out there who are willing to pay to get what they want.

#20 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

max1: You're making the mistake of thinking everyone is like you. For one, internet streaming is fine when you're at your desk. In the car? Different story. And that's where most of Sirius XM's customer base started out.

And you can't say "without the merger they would be gone". You don't know what the finances were of the two companies beforehand. I paid VERY close attention becuase I was an XM stockholder (and still am a stockholder since the merger). XM's debt load was far less than Sirius but Sirius had 'better buzz'. Now combining all that debt didn't seem too bad but the FCC's 1-year-delay in approving the merger moved said merger from a time where credit was plenty to a time where credit was almost nonexistant. And THAT is why people were worried that Sirius XM was going under. Any company that generates over $200M per month will eventually figure out how to pay the bills.

Internet streaming doesn't work so well when you're taking a walk either.

Commercial-free music was THE big selling point and still is a major point these days. Of course now you got Stern (though I don't care for him, he DID bring customers), MLB, the NFL, the NBA, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...