Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SPEED HD Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wolo

Wolo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

Anyone else have problems with SPEED HD? About the only thing I watch regularly is F1 (qualifying and race day). I get an inordinate amount of audio breakups and video pixelation/hiccups rending the programming unwatchable.

And that sucks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Am watching it now and it's fine here

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Any other channels besides speed giving you problems?
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

I watched qualifying for the Malaysian GP this morning (watched practice yesterday also) and everything was fine.

Genie HR44 --> Marantz AV8801 --> Sony XBRX55HX950

Mini Genie --> Sony XBR55HX950

#5 OFFLINE   Wolo

Wolo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

I just started watching Indycar qualifying on Versus, and I'm getting the same type of problem.

Channels 603 and 607 having the same problem, it looks like.

#6 OFFLINE   Wolo

Wolo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Did a quick red button reset, and looks to have solved the problem. :)

#7 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFairfax County, VA

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Anyone else have problems with SPEED HD? About the only thing I watch regularly is F1 (qualifying and race day). I get an inordinate amount of audio breakups and video pixelation/hiccups rending the programming unwatchable.

And that sucks.

I had never had a problem with SPEED HD until the Chinese Grand Prix this weekend. Due to the time difference I recorded everything on the HR21 and I got no sound at all on any of this weekend's F1 broadcasts. I've heard of people getting no sound other than the commentary, but I didn't even get the commentary (and no closed-captions available either). A Google search reveals that some people have had problems of this sort in the past, but it's unclear whether any of them were DirecTV customers or what sort of equipment they were using.

Weird thing is, no other SPEED HD broadcasts are problematic (while I don't watch their other programming, I tuned to that channel when I discovered the F1 problem to see if it was just something wrong with that channel as a whole), and no other channels are messed up. The pixellated picture this weekend was inevitable due to the weather in China, but with the exception of Peter Windsor the SPEED guys weren't in Shanghai anyway, so the weather wouldn't have affected the audio on the commentary.

Maybe I'll try the red button prior to Bahrain next weekend.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

Unfortunately with F1 broadcasts coming from the other side of the globe, it could be 100 different problems and most of them would not be D* related. There have been technical glitches with F1 broadcasts since the beginning of time it seems, but it is frustrating. Bernie wants us to actually go to all his races not just watch them on tv.

#9 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

I had never had a problem with SPEED HD until the Chinese Grand Prix this weekend. Due to the time difference I recorded everything on the HR21 and I got no sound at all on any of this weekend's F1 broadcasts. I've heard of people getting no sound other than the commentary, but I didn't even get the commentary (and no closed-captions available either). A Google search reveals that some people have had problems of this sort in the past, but it's unclear whether any of them were DirecTV customers or what sort of equipment they were using.

Weird thing is, no other SPEED HD broadcasts are problematic (while I don't watch their other programming, I tuned to that channel when I discovered the F1 problem to see if it was just something wrong with that channel as a whole), and no other channels are messed up. The pixellated picture this weekend was inevitable due to the weather in China, but with the exception of Peter Windsor the SPEED guys weren't in Shanghai anyway, so the weather wouldn't have affected the audio on the commentary.

Maybe I'll try the red button prior to Bahrain next weekend.

I also recorded the Beijing F1 (and the preview show) and had no problems with the sound at any time. My only difference is I'm using an HR20. I also had no issues with pixellation which leads me to think it was a problem at your end.

#10 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

No issues whatsoever on any of my F1 recordings this year. And that includes every practice, qualifying session and race run so far.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#11 OFFLINE   hughh

hughh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Same here, just watched my recording of the Chinese Gp and sound was fine!

#12 OFFLINE   RichardL

RichardL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

No problem here with any session of the F1 season so far.

There is some kind of issue with the picture being too high - as if overscanning, which cuts off the lap counter. It was fine for Australia but has been bad since. I have no other overscan issues except in those broadcasts.

There is a discussion on the Speed forum about the issue.

#13 OFFLINE   Trendy2

Trendy2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

I've never had problems with Speed HD either. I too watch F1 and also Supercross and I haven't seen any problems since both seasons started. That really sucks man, sorry.
"It's going to SPACE!!!..can you give it a second to get back FROM SPACE??!!" - Louis CK

#14 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

I did a red button reset today. I don't usually watch the practice recording, but I think I'll be doing that tomorrow to see if the problem recurs! Thanks for the feedback, even if it indicates that the problem was not more widespread.

#15 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

Problem seems to be gone, as the recording of Bahrain practice was fine when I watched the beginning of it this morning. Hopefully it was just a one-weekend oddity.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...