Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOD file sizes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bswb

bswb

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a general estimate for DirecTV's VOD file sizes? I'm going to be upgrading soon and wanted to see what sort of buffer times we'd need for VOD.

I guess it'd break down into the following categories:

SD show (30 minutes)
SD show (60 minutes)
SD movie (2 hours)
HD show (30 minutes)
HD show (60 minutes)
HD movie (2 hours)

Of course, I guess I could just get the 30 minute shows and do the math. :lol:

We are looking at the different download methods for DTV VOD. For convenience sake, I'd like to use our wireless (2.5 MBPS) rather than running an ethernet all the way across the house.

Thanks for your help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

I recall many threads about HDD vs time vs compression numbers. Usually you can find the info there.

#3 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

I don't know about the file sizes, but I have 3 meg cable internet, and I can select a SD show, and begin watching it immediately.

I am also connected through wireless to the cable modem. I also have another HR2x in the bedroom, that is connected via powerline, and it is the same way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...