Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Just a thread to show some of the nasty and just plain dumb work I get to see.

In this case: Leaks anyone? No silicone whatsoever.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image002.jpg
  • Image003.jpg

No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Holy crap, people need to use some common sense.

#3 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Oh, you like pics?

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 224.jpg
  • Entry point 2.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Ok, how about this?

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

Ok, how about this?

Does that actually go somewhere?

#6 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

Ok, how about this?

Wow, that is the funniest thing that I have ever seen:eek2:

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Its for outside watching! Nice and clean wall plate install is always the way to go! :P
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I may not have anything to ever complain about again after seeing these things.....:D:lol:

(Yeah...that'll be the day...)

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

only one thing can be said here......

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#10 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

I have a beauty on our building too. Just waiting for it to stop raining to snap a pic.

#11 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Are tree mounts included in the "standard professional install"?

Attached Thumbnails

• 03-14-09_1028.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   diggerg56

diggerg56

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

That must be one of those special "trunkus rigidis" trees that doesn't move when the wind blows?

#13 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

It does look like there are no branches, so it shouldn't move too much. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#14 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:00 AM

That must be one of those special "trunkus rigidis" trees that doesn't move when the wind blows?

Indeed, they tend to be gaining popularity.

Attached Thumbnails

• download.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Are tree mounts included in the "standard professional install"?

Hey, I could use that setup while I am deer hunting.:P

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hey, I could use that setup while I am deer hunting.:P

Heck....you might just mistake that bad boy FOR a deer...:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

Oh, you guys are gonna LOVE these...

As a tech, you are often sent to nightmares created by previous techs and/or by customers themselves. Whenever possible, we do what is necessary to get the install done right, but occasionally there's no good solution and we are forced to walk away, because if we complete the job, we become responsible for it.

So, I bring you just a couple of highlights out of the thousands of pictures I have.

Posted Image
This was a customer/tech collaboration to get line-of-site from the customer's apartment. He wanted to upgrade to HD. Uh..., no. Sorry.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are two of many examples of a customer trying to do their own work without the proper tools and supplies. Please, folks, either buy the right stuff or have a tech do it for you.

Posted Image
Who can tell me what's wrong here?

Posted Image
It took a while, but I was finally able to get another contractor in my area fired, as their standard policy was to "get jobs in" by taking whatever shortcuts they could. We literally fixed over a hundred instances of this. For those who don't know: if you're a tech, and you're too lazy to run a second line to a DVR, you can throw a 3x4 switch on the line and fake your way through the receiver setup. As long as you're out the door before the customer tries to change a channel, you'll be gone before they know that you screwed them over and their DVR doesn't work. Did I mention that this one was an HR20? And using a consumer-grade jumper?

Posted Image
Not only did someone do just a beautiful job with the cabling, and mounted the mast on the roof with 3 bolts and no sealant, but the dish is less than 6 inches away from the power lines. 'Cause that's safe.

Posted Image
I had to walk away from this one. The dish should never have been installed like this, on a tiny, rotten board, but the tech who did it didn't even pre-drill and split the wood badly.

Posted Image
This customer got a tech to help him "solve" his line-of-site issues, but couldn't figure out why he was constantly losing signal. Don't miss the primary dish back there in the shadow of the tree. We walked away from this one twice; the second time we were sent here was to upgrade this customer to a 500+ dish. Sure.

Posted Image
Posted Image

And now for one of my all-time favorites. What happened here was that this customer originally had DirecTV with a Slimline, and the DirecTV installer put the dish on an under-eave mount, and installed the support arms that are required for the mount. But the !@$# did so by DRILLING THROUGH THE CEMENT TILES! And, no, he did not use anything to seal the holes.

Then, the customer switched to Dish, and the Dish tech simply removed the Slimline and used a pipe adapter on it to throw the 1000.2 dish on the mast, thereby inheriting the roof problem for himself. We were sent because the customer was losing signal. Hmm... See the shadows from the tree branches on the dish? I wonder why they were losing signal. When the customer was asked why they switched to Dish (knowing the answer), we confirmed it was because they were losing LOS due to the tree. So, obviously that's a good place to put the new dish, right? :nono2:

#18 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

Man that is a mother load of crap. Keep 'em coming.

#19 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,059 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

Oh, you guys are gonna LOVE these...

Holy crap . . . :nono2:

Thanks for sharing the pics. Ugh.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#20 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

lol at the tree mounts. Can't laugh too hard, because about 7 or 8 years ago, my parents had just purchased a new house, and were getting everything moved in on a Saturday afternoon. At about 6pm that evening, my father realized the Tyson fight was coming on that night, but the dish wasn't put up yet.

He called me to see if I could do a temporary mount for him. (Note, I wasn't an installer for anyone, just had done it in the past). Get to his new residence, and right next to the cable inlets is a 50' oak tree. Bust out the extension ladder, and install the dish about 15' up on the tree to get LOS between two other trees in his front yard.

Of course it worked just fine. The funny thing is, he ended up leaving it that way for three years, rarely having any signal issues. When he went to upgrade to HD, of course the installer said he couldn't do it on the tree. Due to LOS issues with the two very large trees in his front yard, there wasn't any other options, besides a roof-mount, which was a no-go in my father's eyes. He purchased a Phase-III himself, and I installed it on the tree. Worked like a champ for another few years (he bought his own HD receiver on ebay, thankfully D* activated it).

Since the two large trees in his front yard were causing his grass not to grow evenly due to too much shade, we cut down the trees. When he finally upgraded to the AT9 two years ago, the techs did a pole mount.

On a side note, I still have to get that damn j-mount down off the oak tree, maybe this summer I'll do it.

spam firewall