Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

I like the zip ties on that balcony:lol:

Why didn't they use the sidecar lnb on that one picture(where the lnb is missing) instead of using another dish to run a cable back over?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Brannayen

Brannayen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

A tech I work with said a customer's house in the woods had 0 line of sight. However, at the edge of the woods was an old abandoned car. They now have a slimline dish mounted to the hood.
  • techdood likes this

#23 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

Why didn't they use the sidecar lnb on that one picture(where the lnb is missing) instead of using another dish to run a cable back over?

I'm waiting for someone to figure out what the real issue is... :) Look closely.

#24 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Who can tell me what's wrong here?

That's a W bracket for a dish 1000?
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#25 OFFLINE   hummer1823

hummer1823

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Posted Image

And the winner is!.... This One!!!!! :lol::hurah:

Really sad though. :nono:

As a former tech i got to see alot of this "craftsmanship" It all comes down to laziness i think. I would always pride my self in how the install went and looked and cables with clean runs, ect ect. I never had to go back to an install because my work was sloppy or not done correctly. Faulty equipment... now that's a different story ;)

Edited by hummer1823, 07 April 2009 - 01:43 PM.
Kant cpell

#26 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

Well, I'm not familar with Dish or Dish wiring but I can't quite figure out where the cable from the left dish goes. It seems to go into the dish on the right where I guess it hooks up to the multi-switch? Of course I also don't see any kind of ground but that might be my eyes or the photo.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Not one single install using Duct Tape....I'm disappointed...:( :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   NCMAT

NCMAT

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

DSC05749S.JPG
I liked this one so much that I used it for my avatar. This is on the south end of an apartment building. The last time I drove by there were two more dishes for a total of 16. I love how some of the cables are run in front of another dish. How would you ever figure out which dish goes with which apartment?

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

[ATTACH]18028[/ATTACH]
I liked this one so much that I used it for my avatar. This is on the south end of an apartment building. The last time I drove by there were two more dishes for a total of 16. I love how some of the cables are run in front of another dish. How would you ever figure out which dish goes with which apartment?

I would see several SWM units going into that minefield of cables...;):lol:

#30 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image

Okay, what we have here is a "main" dish on the right, picking up 119/110 on the DPP Twin, and a "wing" dish on the left pointed at 148. The DPP Twin LNB has an integrated switch and also has an input for a 3rd LNB; the 148 LNB is connected to this input, which eliminates the need for an external switch. So far, that's all fine.

But the "main" dish here is a Dish 1000 arm and W-bracket with a Dish 500 reflector attached! The 110 signal was very weak because the Dish 500 reflector isn't properly focused, because these parts were not intended to work together. Some tech obviously cobbled the thing together with whatever leftover parts he had in his truck. We replaced this Frankenstein dish with a regular Dish 500.

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

Okay, what we have here is a "main" dish on the right, picking up 119/110 on the DPP Twin, and a "wing" dish on the left pointed at 148. The DPP Twin LNB has an integrated switch and also has an input for a 3rd LNB; the 148 LNB is connected to this input, which eliminates the need for an external switch. So far, that's all fine.

But the "main" dish here is a Dish 1000 arm and W-bracket with a Dish 500 reflector attached! The 110 signal was very weak because the Dish 500 reflector isn't properly focused, because these parts were not intended to work together. Some tech obviously cobbled the thing together with whatever leftover parts he had in his truck. We replaced this Frankenstein dish with a regular Dish 500.

In our offices...we call that FrankenTech. :D

#32 OFFLINE   TMarshall

TMarshall

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

These pictures remind me of the tech that did my install. Paid him an extra $150 to install a Commdeck that I gave him the full picture instructions for. I should have just told him to go home before he even started since I don't think he could count past ten with his shoes on. About a month later a small windstorm comes through and blows it out of alignment. Called to get service and I told the tech I don't think he bothered to put the monopoles in which he had not. Ask him to check the mount and make sure it looks ok. Tech goes up, puts the poles in, aligns it and comes back down and I ask how it looks.

Turns out the first moron had just taken the Commdeck, slapped it on the roof over top of the 1" hole he drilled and just screwed it in through the shingles. Didn't slide the flashing under like he was supposed, cut the shingles around to or do any sealing. I just hope not much water had gotten in during the two months it was up and the second tech used enough silicon to coat the edges of the 12" Commdeck. Heck it would have been better to just roof mount it normally and forget the Commdeck completely. At least just tell me you don't want to do the extra work and I'll hire someone who gives a crap.

#33 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

It's BS that the tech took your money and did such crappy work. That aside, Commdecks should be installed by ROOFERS, not by satellite installers, who will virtually never have the tools or experience with roofing issues to do so.
  • posty likes this

#34 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

But the "main" dish here is a Dish 1000 arm and W-bracket with a Dish 500 reflector attached! The 110 signal was very weak because the Dish 500 reflector isn't properly focused, because these parts were not intended to work together. Some tech obviously cobbled the thing together with whatever leftover parts he had in his truck. .

Cool, I had it right. What do I win :lol:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#35 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Cool, I had it right. What do I win :lol:

Nope...it was your house they photographed...;):D

#36 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Okay, here's a couple more:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This customer decided to do their own installation work. See those 1" holes all over the place? They only had 2 drill bits: a 3/4" and a 1". There were holes everywhere (I stopped counting at 20), with 3/4" and 1" holes going straight through the outside walls with cables shoved in them. We're talking a single RG6 rattling around in a 1" hole, with sunlight shining through. Cables were ran over the roof and hanging loose. Barrel connectors all over. Mix and match pieces of cable.

Notice the multi-level glass TV/media shelf? It's mounted upside-down. How about the cable running into the power outlet? They also had a 50" or so flat-panel Sony TV mounted in the living room that, at the time, cost about $5,000 new. It was so scratched up it looked like it had been chained to my truck and drug down the street a few miles. I'm guessing they didn't get it from Best Buy, if you know what I mean. We walked away, after taking a few pics.

Posted Image
We arrived here on a service call for one of our installs.

Posted Image
Apparently they were having a feud with one of their neighbors, who decided to cut their sat cables. The customer did his best to fix the problem himself, by yanking the core out of the connectors and stripping back the cable and shoving it back in. At least he used electrical tape instead of the expected duct tape!

Posted Image
This looks pretty okay, right? But the customer kept losing signal.

Posted Image
It turns out that the entire railing was attached to the building with 5, count 'em, FIVE of these L-brackets. That was before some of the nails came loose or broke off. The whole railing could move in an 8" arc, and if you gave it a hard look, it threatened to fall completely off the building onto the cars below. We walked away.

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Just when you think you've seen it all...:rolleyes::lol:

Thanks for sharing those photos....they are amazing (and shocking at the same time).

#38 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

The thing is, I have dozens and dozens more. Sadly, I have very few pics of our installs, because we know ours are done right. But I have my techs take pictures of bad jobs we encounter, so over the years I've built up quite a collection. I use them in training new techs, so they see a lot of examples of "what NOT to do." I show a pic and have them play "what's wrong with THIS picture?"

But for customers who have no idea what an installer has to deal with, threads like this can be enlightening. A lot of the time, these problems come from techs who either had very little training and were simply doing the best they could, or were the result of pressure to "get the job in" at any cost from their management. I don't work that way, which is why I've been around a long time.

#39 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

I'm not an installer, just a 'regular' customer. This has to be the most entertaining thread I've ever read here! Most interesting!!!

Keep 'em coming!!!!

:D

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#40 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

Does that actually go somewhere?

I don't know about it going somewhere but, here's where it goes on the roof.

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...