Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

wow! you obviously dont know anything about contruction or materials or methods.....

that heavy metal rail will survive a tornado and was concrete into the pad......

but yet another person commenting about something they know nothing about....

I on the other hand have a four year degree in construction management which involves engineering methods and materials including things such as moments of inertia, cantilevers and the like as well as stress points and design

but....thanks for your concern...

I haven't looked at this thread in a long time, but wow, i looked at this picture for about 2 seconds and i already see a better way to install it, and safer. The wire ties on the monopoles, c'mon, really? Clamp em if you can't actually bolt them. One really easy way to mount a dish to a balcony rail is to use two mast bases, and use bolts to sandwich to the rail. That huge pole has a lot of leverage on those 2 x 4's and they can and will give way in any decent windstorm, the monopoles are a joke, those wire ties will give way instantly. I would reconsider anytime you decide to do something like that again, it only takes one time for a dish to fall and injure someone or cause property damage.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

I haven't looked at this thread in a long time, but wow, i looked at this picture for about 2 seconds and i already see a better way to install it, and safer. The wire ties on the monopoles, c'mon, really? Clamp em if you can't actually bolt them. One really easy way to mount a dish to a balcony rail is to use two mast bases, and use bolts to sandwich to the rail. That huge pole has a lot of leverage on those 2 x 4's and they can and will give way in any decent windstorm, the monopoles are a joke, those wire ties will give way instantly. I would reconsider anytime you decide to do something like that again, it only takes one time for a dish to fall and injure someone or cause property damage.

It's only a matter of time before these kinds of installations cause damage or (hopefully not) injury. It will only take one particularly litigious customer before this sort of thing will be put to a grinding halt in [that area].
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#403 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

What about the inside of that box. When you drill bits of metal fall down into it due to gravity.

Ouch.

Clueless installer

DirecTV or Dishnetwork? Either my eyes are not good enough or not enough detail. Either way if that install starts a fire, the liability to the installer's company. Probably it was a quick install though.

I always wondered do installers have some way to know there are no wires where they are drilling through the wall? Or is it a case where you see sparks and feel that tingle you quick grab the silicone?

It is a dish network installation

#404 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

It is a dish network installation

Thanks, I was curious.

Some of the dishes in my area, especially the 18" round, are so weathered you can't really tell.

My dish is located on the roof where you can not see it from the street and only the neighbors on the street behind me can see it. That was one of my requirements at install.

Next door The DirecTV dish is mounted on the north side of the roof just below the ridge line. It really looks ugly sticking up over the roof line there. Down the street you can hardly see the pole mount on the street side of the house.

Is there some requirement now that the dish should be plainly visible for advertising purposes?

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#405 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

. . . .

Is there some requirement now that the dish should be plainly visible for advertising purposes?

Cheers

Just LoS and Easy Access are the First and Second requirements.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#406 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Where that one next door is located is by the roof line on a modified cape cod with a full width dormer.

Where mine is situated you can't see it, even from the back yard unless you go all the way back to the fence.

Mine has been there since the days where I bought two RCAs, one with a 18" dual LNB dish.

DirecTV and USSB back then and darned expensive hardware. I took a look at Satellite TV then to see why the local cable company was knocking it. Big mistake on their part as I hadn't really heard of Satellite TV except via BUDs.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#407 OFFLINE   bhuber

bhuber

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationWilton, IA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

I saw this driving home from work...

2012-01-03_16-21-56_459_edit0.jpg

#408 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

I saw this driving home from work...

[ATTACH]28073[/ATTACH]

"Hey, honey, can you turn the truck a little more to the left? The signal is a little low." :lol:

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#409 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

WOW! Some of these pics are just amazing!!
56TB MSS WHS--32TB unRAID
LED DLP

#410 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Thanks, I was curious.

Some of the dishes in my area, especially the 18" round, are so weathered you can't really tell.

My dish is located on the roof where you can not see it from the street and only the neighbors on the street behind me can see it. That was one of my requirements at install.

Next door The DirecTV dish is mounted on the north side of the roof just below the ridge line. It really looks ugly sticking up over the roof line there. Down the street you can hardly see the pole mount on the street side of the house.

Cheers

The giveaway for installers is the tilt of the dish and the LNB. It becomes quickly apparent if you handle them every day.

And secondly. LOS is king. But I'm proud to install a commercial job and make the dish just barely visible.

It's that. 'We chose Directv'. It's rewarding.

#411 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Nope, install worked as planned, customer moved into new house 2 months later. Never had an issue. Dish was taken down.

Those zip ties are WAY stronger than one might believe, ive hung off a mast before and they wouldnt give. Now im not that fat, but they hold way longer than i could have imagined, even bouncing on the mast. Ive tried breaking zip ties by force on tear outs, they usually win and i have to grab my cutter.

Cant use two mast bases on a powder coated railing, it will nick the railing and cause the customer a security deposit. Wood only on metal rail.

#412 OFFLINE   Annihilator31

Annihilator31

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Ok, I have a few pics that I have been saving. These were taken while on service calls. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
HR20-700 on a Sony XBR Tv
HR24-500 & AM21 on a Sony SXRD Tv
Harmon Kardon AVR-354 Receiver &
Harmon Kardon AVR-48 DVD Player
Viewsat MX-HD to a 120cm FTA motorized dish

PC: Dell XPS 730x 64bit, 12gb of RAM, Intel SSD

Nobody knows what it like for a tech except us tech's! btw Metal Rulez!

#413 OFFLINE   Annihilator31

Annihilator31

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
HR20-700 on a Sony XBR Tv
HR24-500 & AM21 on a Sony SXRD Tv
Harmon Kardon AVR-354 Receiver &
Harmon Kardon AVR-48 DVD Player
Viewsat MX-HD to a 120cm FTA motorized dish

PC: Dell XPS 730x 64bit, 12gb of RAM, Intel SSD

Nobody knows what it like for a tech except us tech's! btw Metal Rulez!

#414 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks annihilator, I like it, need more installs like these

#415 OFFLINE   virgilio

virgilio

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

what kind of cable i have to run from the power suply to the 4x8 swicth

#416 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

A normal 4x8 switch does not need a power supply.

If you do have a powered 4x8, then it uses a 18 to 24vdc 'wallwort' with a 3.5mm plug.

Look on the switch and the power port will be marked.

#417 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Nope, install worked as planned, customer moved into new house 2 months later. Never had an issue. Dish was taken down.

Those zip ties are WAY stronger than one might believe, ive hung off a mast before and they wouldnt give. Now im not that fat, but they hold way longer than i could have imagined, even bouncing on the mast. Ive tried breaking zip ties by force on tear outs, they usually win and i have to grab my cutter.

Cant use two mast bases on a powder coated railing, it will nick the railing and cause the customer a security deposit. Wood only on metal rail.

I beg to differ. I go through 100+ zip ties a week, and I've had zips bust open while just installing them. There is a huge amount of variation in quality.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#418 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

I beg to differ. I go through 100+ zip ties a week, and I've had zips bust open while just installing them. There is a huge amount of variation in quality.

Right. If you're going to use zip ties to fasten a mast, you might as well use velcro, or string :lol:

Shoot, the string would probably work better.

#419 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

...Shoot, the string would probably work better.

Is that your theory? :P

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#420 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

:lol:

I just agree that zip ties are not exactly "High quality ratchet straps". And if you wrapped the foot of a mast to something with rounds and rounds of string, it'd almost surely hold longer :P

spam firewall