Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#526 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• 42,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Best practices would have been to put it in a trench ... perhaps between the driveway and the fence to the garage if the driveway could not be trenched.

And use conduit too.

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#527 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Retired, part-time PITA

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,696 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

The driveway seems to be behind the dish. The gap in the fence is far from the roadway. It looks like a well worn path between the two properties but probably not "public". I cannot tell how tall the fence is ... at 5ft it would be a problem for me, at 6ft I would need to duck. It does not appear to be low enough to catch a person off guard and "clothesline" them. Where the cable crosses the driveway back to the house the height looks good.

Best practices would have been to put it in a trench ... perhaps between the driveway and the fence to the garage if the driveway could not be trenched.

I'm tryin' to go 'green' so I am puttin' up a clothesline in the back yard.

I checked local codes first and there are no restrictions pertaining to

such, but just to be on the safe side and to help minimize any chance

of injury or liability, I'm going to reroute the clothesline and bury it. :sure:

~ 14th Year on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#528 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 44,018 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

"Clothesline" is a serious type of injury to the neck or face, generally cause when a rider of a vehicle such as an ATV hits a wire extended across their path. The term is also used when a person is hit in the face or neck by an outstretched arm (such as in WWE).

One of my high school classmates died of such an injury while riding a dirt bike. He apparently did not see a wire gate stretched across the entrance to a farmer's field. The wire did not have a sign or flags or other markings to make it clearly visible.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#529 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

All I can say is Start over!!!!!

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#530 OFFLINE   Masshole1225

Masshole1225

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

While the whole thing is a bunch of garbage, I don't think an aerial line is against any law as Cable companies do it all the time.
Now how it's done isn't like anything I see there.
Looks like there are the remnants of three systems:
1) the old legacy WB68s,
2) upgrade to SWiM-16
3) SWMLNB

Wonder what the recycle value is for the dead cables & hardware. !rolling

Haha, yeah there was soooo much old, unused equipment left there... I was happy to leave with a perfectly fine swm16 though haha!
The pole is on an old parking lot next to the house. It's a 'old house' type of hotel across the driveway. I'd say the lines going across the fence are 6' high.. I don't know if this was installed by a sub or what but a lot if people have worked on it over the years. But no one wanted to rebuild it I guess. Definitely a rebuild.

Definitely the ugliest install I have EVER seen, and I've seen some terrible work.... it's almost impressive how awful it is lol

Also, I'm pretty sure the lot it's on is their property.. so that's something I guess!

Edited by Masshole1225, 20 April 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#531 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,670 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

As far as "trenching" a driveway is concerned, a very practical alternative is to dig a two foot long trench on one side of the driveway, and get a bunch of 18" long plumbing pipe "nipples" and a bunch of couplers and a couple of end caps and use a sledge hammer to drive the sections through to the other side.  I've done it under 6 foot wide walkways, and if I had to, I could have gone further.

Keep in mind that an installer who is doing contract installation is not going to work all day for free, and an installer who is on hourly will "disappoint" his employer if he spends twice the allotted time doing an ideal job when the labor needed to do so far exceeds the allotted or budgeted time.

Edited by AntAltMike, 02 May 2016 - 12:25 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...