Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Ouch,

I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire-The Ink Spots

or

I DON'T WANT TO SET THE WORLD ON FIRE ~ Tommy Tucker & his Orchestra~ Amy Arnell ~ Don Brown ~ The Voices Three ~June 1941 ~ Okeh Records

This is what that article reminded me of

TBoneit

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

um yeah, making the local tv news will qualify ya for the shame thread.

while it wasn't my main service, my installer last month about drilled right through some electrical lines. Just glad I was there watching where he had planned to drill, or I would have been running a new line or 2.

Why don't installers use an electric line finder prior to drilling? Cheaper than the installer's deductible.

#463 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

This is a horrible install, not to mention illegal as far as codes and safety goes. This was done by a DirecTV installer/tech a few days ago at a friends house that just signed up for NEW DirecTV service.... 2013-11-28145829_zpsc0472c5b.jpg2013-11-28150226_zpse4f73747.jpg20131128_064108_zps239a8e95.jpg2013-11-28150041_zpsc0bcfb3e.jpg Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by xmguy, 28 November 2013 - 09:43 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#464 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Not sure what's illegal about it. I can't tell for sure how it's grounded as I can't see where the Lines go to but what's so illegal? He should have sealed the cable going into the house though. That's a miss. It is a little messy to not get to of the old cables.

#465 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Grounding looks to be OK.  the tech used a split bolt, but not sure where the coax bonding wire gets bonded to the dish.  I do not see anything illegal as well, perhaps you can elaborate.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#466 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I meant Illegal as far as mounting to a power pole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#467 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

I was assuming that's his power pole and not a phone one caring everyone's lines above. If it's only for grabbing his service I would think its be legal. And I've never seen a power pole thy close to a house that wasn't just for that house myself.

Did it have main lines on it too passing through his property?

#468 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

I was assuming that's his power pole and not a phone one caring everyone's lines above. If it's only for grabbing his service I would think its be legal. And I've never seen a power pole thy close to a house that wasn't just for that house myself.

#469 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

It's a mobile home. So its just his local power drop, meter and disconnect.

Sent from my C811 4G using DBSTalk mobile app

#470 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

It's a mobile home. So its just his local power drop, meter and disconnect.

Sent from my C811 4G using DBSTalk mobile app

so that would make it "his" and as such there is nothing illegal

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#471 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Everything looks good there except the missing sealant where it enters the building but based off two other lines there I feel he may have used existing lines and thus easy to most (but not excused).

I've seen many trailer complexes that have the utilities come in on post like this and as stayed since it's a private pile not public use it is OK. In fact I did a job in a community where that was the only location pre approved to mount the dish.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#472 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Everything looks good there except the missing sealant where it enters the building but based off two other lines there I feel he may have used existing lines and thus easy to most (but not excused).

I've seen many trailer complexes that have the utilities come in on post like this and as stayed since it's a private pile not public use it is OK. In fact I did a job in a community where that was the only location pre approved to mount the dish.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

It is (or was when i went through electrical school) a NEC requirement for mobile homes to have all the utilities come in on a pole. Our instructor said it was so if the home was moved, it would be a simple disconnect from the pole rather than waiting for the electric utility to come out and safely remove everything from the home.

Personally in my own observations, at least around here when a mobile home is setup in a certain location it usually stays there till it rots off the frame..

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#473 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Around here they have pretty much stopped installing overhead lines to free standing wooden poles. The poles have a tendency to lean towards the transformer when it rains. Eventually they fall. The power company brings the lines in underground and the homeowner provides a wooden frame for the meter base, in the case of mobile homes.

Over the years I've removed plenty of unaligned dishes from free standing wooden posts/poles and put them on something more stable.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#474 OFFLINE   mpalomba3

mpalomba3

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationStaten Island

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Wow, these pix are making me hesitant to switch to Direct TV..  :eek2:

#475 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Don't worry. This represents a small minority of installs, and you can guarantee every other install provider can boast a similar spread of install horrors :)

Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#476 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

xmguy myself and a few others here are trying to figure out what you think is so horrible and out of code and unsafe you think is wrong here. ( First off let me start off by saying im not taking up for the installer, as yes I do see this as a very sloppy job it could have been done to look a whole lot better ). As for the mounting, nothing wrong there s-tube on a square pole just as it was intended ( although the s-tubes work well on the corner of a brick house also ( i myself have found to really like putting s-tubes on on corners of brick houses " saves a little time too as just haveing to drill 4 holes and anchor in instead of the supposed to at least 8 with a univeral mast and 2 monopoles"). As for the grounding it appears to be grounded to code ( although some companies would fail it just because the ground wire is black from the split bolt to the splitter instead of the required green indacating ground even though it could be the right size). The pic of the cable going into the house, yeah it dont have the bushing, drip loop, or at least bare minimum silicone which would have took all of 2 seconds. ON your defense, Yes the cable routing is extremely sloppy and could have been done multiple multiple ways to actually appear to be professional instead of looking like a lazy installer. But kinda curious what you see as so illegal and unsafe, besides being an extremely sloppy job

#477 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

xmguy myself and a few others here are trying to figure out what you think is so horrible and out of code and unsafe you think is wrong here.

Maybe mpalomba3 is talking about 24 PAGES of this 'shame' thread; not just this most recent one?

Edited by trh, 28 January 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#478 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Never judge a book by it's cover. What you read and see on this thread is not the norm with DirecTV installs. My signature says a lot about DirecTV's credibility.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#479 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

You could probably fill 24 pages with crappy stuff any TV provider's installers sometimes do, satellite or cable. There is no overall code governing what they do, like there is for electricians and plumbers, so it is easier for them to go off the reservation.

Despite that, I'll bet in electrical and plumbing forums you could find some crazy installs that while they may meet code, would still make most electricians and plumbers say "WTF".

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#480 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

That's the truth for sure. And just to show you....

A woman bought a house a couple years ago. after she had bought the house a plumber had been out because her kitchen sink stunk. He said its wrong and needs to be fixed it'll cost a couple hundred or something like that. Other option is to put enzymes down the drain. She didn't believe it was hooked up wrong and used enzymes.

My friend marries her sister I get to know her as well and we become friends. One day she tells me about the sink stink and that she didn't believe the plumber etc. I say well let me take a look. Here's what I saw.....

a3adepy7.jpg

Needless to say I fixed it for her and she's stinkless now. ;)

Sadly that's not the only thing of that nature I've fixed. Like a 50 pound cast iron sink held in place with two drywall screws and the trap it was sitting on. Ugh.

spam firewall