Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

Found this one roaming the skies a couple weeks ago......

not sure if there was a combiner on the back, or if they just didn't want to deal with a multiswitch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

that looks like a redneck multiswitch.. only thing i can think of is he was 50 miles from home with no supplies..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

that looks like a redneck multiswitch.. only thing i can think of is he was 50 miles from home with no supplies..

Actually that setup is called a "poor man's dish setup" and was used with an FTA or hacked provider receiver to receive dish network's programming.

Since they have shored up their encryption system from "pirates", you'll see allot of people moving to subscriptions at this time for sher lack of anything to watch.....

#128 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

Actually that setup is called a "poor man's dish setup" and was used with an FTA or hacked provider receiver to receive dish network's programming.

Since they have shored up their encryption system from "pirates", you'll see allot of people moving to subscriptions at this time for sher lack of anything to watch.....

thats weird , i know lots of people with fta they use dish network dishes though..

#129 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

thats weird , i know lots of people with fta they use dish network dishes though..

That's why it's called the poor man's dish ,the 2 lnb's point at 110,119 .And a switch is used to combine the sats.I remember doing a DTV install a while ago,and seeing something like that.

#130 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

Unless they have you know what hooked up to their you know whats ;):lol:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#131 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Not sure if this really goes in the shame corner. It is creative and I don't thing needed for LOS. But you never know. I hate to see a nice gust go through there though.

Attached Thumbnails

• shame.jpg

No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#132 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

looks like the same guy that did this one

Attached Thumbnails

• dtvdish.jpg

#133 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:11 AM

lol ive seen installs like that. I had a no LOS job at a north facing apartment, and the guy was mad that i wouldn't do something like that, because his neighbor had some crazy pipe contraption that hung out like 10 feet past his balcony.

#134 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

Its been a while since I found something thread worthy, but I do believe it was worth the wait. Most of the fittings weren't compressed and beyond corroded. I don't even see how the 4x8 was working with how bad the power supply fitting was

Posted Image
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#135 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

[quote name='MrShowtime']Its been a while since I found something thread worthy, but I do believe it was worth the wait. Most of the fittings weren't compressed and beyond corroded. I don't even see how the 4x8 was working with how bad the power supply fitting was

What the hell? :confused:

Why was a 3x4 running into a 4x8? What in the world were they trying to acomplish? :confused::confused:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#136 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

looks like the same guy that did this one

http://www.dbstalk.c...05&d=1251772154

I wonder what LOS problem that mount solved that the 50 other dishes mounted on the same side of the same building don't seem to have?

#137 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

I don't work for dish network but this creative mount was found on the house next to the one I was working on today. I had to stop and take a pic. Yes thats PVC pipe

Posted Image
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#138 OFFLINE   Cats#8

Cats#8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

I don't work for dish network but this creative mount was found on the house next to the one I was working on today. I had to stop and take a pic. Yes thats PVC pipe

Posted Image

Is that duct tape? :lol:

#139 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Is that duct tape? :lol:

Good catch, I believe that is a little duct tape in that picture! :lol: Amazing. I'm not an installer by no means but that picture with the 3X4 feeding into the 4X8 made me wonder!:confused:

#140 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

Is that red thing a bungee cord?:confused:
Probably using the wind chime for OTA.

Edited by dlh, 24 September 2009 - 04:58 AM.

#141 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

There's nothing wrong with using PVC pipe for a home-made installation. I've used it myself before. Attaching it with clamps is OK. Using PVC elbows is questionable -- those aren't guaranteed to be plumb (hence the bungee cord) Attaching it to the decorative part of the porch is very questionable. The duct tape is just plain wrong -- why is it even there?

#142 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

I wonder what LOS problem that mount solved that the 50 other dishes mounted on the same side of the same building don't seem to have?

I wonder if there is another building that is a littel wider, just enough to kill reception on that part of the building? There seem to be more dishes on teh back section than the front, but there are a coupld of dishes.

Also, this setup looks to me like it can actually swivel back against the rail. I bet they only swing it out when they have the TV on or something.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#143 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

Posted Image

Going out on a limb, but I would presume that the tech didn't realize that you need only to feed the 101 dish lines into the two inputs without the 22khz tone..

#144 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with using PVC pipe for a home-made installation. I've used it myself before. Attaching it with clamps is OK. Using PVC elbows is questionable -- those aren't guaranteed to be plumb (hence the bungee cord) Attaching it to the decorative part of the porch is very questionable. The duct tape is just plain wrong -- why is it even there?

Agreed, I use a piece of PVC pipe and a tripod for temp mounts (camping, tailgating, etc). Works like a charm.

#145 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Because no job is complete without some duct tape!:lol:

#146 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,722 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Going out on a limb, but I would presume that the tech didn't realize that you need only to feed the 101 dish lines into the two inputs without the 22khz tone..

Obviously so, along with a disastrous job of connector placement too...

I used that same 4x8 mulitiswich on my 101 SD only set-up once in the pre-Ka band era when I planned to upgrade later to a Phase III dish to receive the old Ku band MPEG-2 HD channels at the time. And simply ran the two home run inputs from a standard Phase I dish to the 101 inputs on the switch.

The Zinwell SAM-4803 was actually a very good Ku band MS (if you don't need OTA diplex) that I still have lying around here which was really sent to me by mistake from SolidSignal when I originally ordered a 5x8 for the OTA diplex option if I chose.

#147 OFFLINE   Cats#8

Cats#8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

LOL.. I have to laugh about this now but i was on a service call this morning and the customer was not receiving locals on one IRD. a R15. so I check the set up and its set to slimeline3. So me being me I start thinking yea I am going to be out of here in 10 minutes. That was the first mistake. . After selecting the correct ODU's a 18 inch and a 72.5. I get locals but nothing on the odd transponders. So I check the IRD. 18.5 volts and its not switching. Great I think and swap out the R15 for a HR20. I run set up and it fails on 99 and 103. I scratch my head and call my tech sup. He says that the HR20 wont work with two 18's so he drops me off a Standard DVR a R-22. Same problem again. I set it up as two 18 rounds and it fails me on 99 and 103. I call tech support and find out the account was messed up. They showed the customer had a KAKu ODU. so they correct that and I get a waiver. By now I am already late to my next stop. Run set up and still no odd transponders. Pull the ladder off the truck and start changing the switch. And of course trying to hurry I put the 101 into the 22khz. :nono2: So I have to pull the ladder back off the truck again fight off the dog and correct my mistake. It seems alot funnier now than it did. :grin: Oh and of course it pouring down rain today.:lol:

#148 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Obviously so, along with a disastrous job of connector placement too...

yeah if you look closely thats an uncompressed quad shield connector or a dual shield line with the power port facing up. They used some silicone to "seal it". It was beyond corroded out. My service supervisor has this beauty in his office. When I showed it to him, he laughed his ass off and insisted on keeping it.

As for the dish network one, I guess the pvc is ok, but taking the bungie, pvc, duct tape, and wind chime in at once made it a priceless picture

#149 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

I decided to do some tidying up myself today....

Attached Thumbnails

• Attic before.jpg
  • Attic after.jpg

#150 OFFLINE   Valve1138

Valve1138

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

Thats a neat looking backboard for the sat gear MadMac. Nice job.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...