Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

One good wind storm and that dish is in someone's yard...

Believe that it was up there for more than a year!! close to two. Lady complained about not having hd channels for around 4-5 months. So shame on her for letting it go that long.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

The PVC rain flow pipe on the roof...:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I called first in line....nanny nanny boo boo....:lol::lol::lol:

One good wind storm and that dish is in someone's yard...

What the heck is a rain flow pipe?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#123 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

Here is some new ones. Anyone tell me what the Slimline is mounted to?

It looks like someone stuck a 2" pipe inside the 3" weatherhead and put some lag bolts through both of them. Yikes!

#124 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

Found this one roaming the skies a couple weeks ago......

not sure if there was a combiner on the back, or if they just didn't want to deal with a multiswitch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#125 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

It looks like someone stuck a 2" pipe inside the 3" weatherhead and put some lag bolts through both of them. Yikes!

That trick was ok for a steel plumbing vent and an adapter to mount the round dish. So someone extended the idea until it got dangerous.

While I am first to kick the stupid, dishonest HSPs because they deserve it....techs that leave crap like that deserve what they get.

Sometimes these things get done by well intentioned homeowners. When they don't work they then buy the protection plan and someone has the honor of rebuilding the job for thirty dollars.

Grrrrrrr!

Joe

#126 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

Found this one roaming the skies a couple weeks ago......

not sure if there was a combiner on the back, or if they just didn't want to deal with a multiswitch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

that looks like a redneck multiswitch.. only thing i can think of is he was 50 miles from home with no supplies..

#127 ONLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

that looks like a redneck multiswitch.. only thing i can think of is he was 50 miles from home with no supplies..

Actually that setup is called a "poor man's dish setup" and was used with an FTA or hacked provider receiver to receive dish network's programming.

Since they have shored up their encryption system from "pirates", you'll see allot of people moving to subscriptions at this time for sher lack of anything to watch.....

#128 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

Actually that setup is called a "poor man's dish setup" and was used with an FTA or hacked provider receiver to receive dish network's programming.

Since they have shored up their encryption system from "pirates", you'll see allot of people moving to subscriptions at this time for sher lack of anything to watch.....

thats weird , i know lots of people with fta they use dish network dishes though..

#129 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

thats weird , i know lots of people with fta they use dish network dishes though..

That's why it's called the poor man's dish ,the 2 lnb's point at 110,119 .And a switch is used to combine the sats.I remember doing a DTV install a while ago,and seeing something like that.

#130 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

Unless they have you know what hooked up to their you know whats ;):lol:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#131 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Not sure if this really goes in the shame corner. It is creative and I don't thing needed for LOS. But you never know. I hate to see a nice gust go through there though.

Attached Thumbnails

• shame.jpg

No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#132 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

looks like the same guy that did this one

Attached Thumbnails

• dtvdish.jpg

#133 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:11 AM

lol ive seen installs like that. I had a no LOS job at a north facing apartment, and the guy was mad that i wouldn't do something like that, because his neighbor had some crazy pipe contraption that hung out like 10 feet past his balcony.

#134 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

Its been a while since I found something thread worthy, but I do believe it was worth the wait. Most of the fittings weren't compressed and beyond corroded. I don't even see how the 4x8 was working with how bad the power supply fitting was

Posted Image
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#135 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

[quote name='MrShowtime']Its been a while since I found something thread worthy, but I do believe it was worth the wait. Most of the fittings weren't compressed and beyond corroded. I don't even see how the 4x8 was working with how bad the power supply fitting was

What the hell? :confused:

Why was a 3x4 running into a 4x8? What in the world were they trying to acomplish? :confused::confused:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#136 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

looks like the same guy that did this one

http://www.dbstalk.c...05&d=1251772154

I wonder what LOS problem that mount solved that the 50 other dishes mounted on the same side of the same building don't seem to have?

#137 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

I don't work for dish network but this creative mount was found on the house next to the one I was working on today. I had to stop and take a pic. Yes thats PVC pipe

Posted Image
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#138 OFFLINE   Cats#8

Cats#8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

I don't work for dish network but this creative mount was found on the house next to the one I was working on today. I had to stop and take a pic. Yes thats PVC pipe

Posted Image

Is that duct tape? :lol:

#139 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Is that duct tape? :lol:

Good catch, I believe that is a little duct tape in that picture! :lol: Amazing. I'm not an installer by no means but that picture with the 3X4 feeding into the 4X8 made me wonder!:confused:

#140 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

Is that red thing a bungee cord?:confused:
Probably using the wind chime for OTA.

Edited by dlh, 24 September 2009 - 04:58 AM.

spam firewall