Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

There's nothing wrong with using PVC pipe for a home-made installation. I've used it myself before. Attaching it with clamps is OK. Using PVC elbows is questionable -- those aren't guaranteed to be plumb (hence the bungee cord) Attaching it to the decorative part of the porch is very questionable. The duct tape is just plain wrong -- why is it even there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

I wonder what LOS problem that mount solved that the 50 other dishes mounted on the same side of the same building don't seem to have?

I wonder if there is another building that is a littel wider, just enough to kill reception on that part of the building? There seem to be more dishes on teh back section than the front, but there are a coupld of dishes.

Also, this setup looks to me like it can actually swivel back against the rail. I bet they only swing it out when they have the TV on or something.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#143 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

Posted Image

Going out on a limb, but I would presume that the tech didn't realize that you need only to feed the 101 dish lines into the two inputs without the 22khz tone..

#144 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with using PVC pipe for a home-made installation. I've used it myself before. Attaching it with clamps is OK. Using PVC elbows is questionable -- those aren't guaranteed to be plumb (hence the bungee cord) Attaching it to the decorative part of the porch is very questionable. The duct tape is just plain wrong -- why is it even there?

Agreed, I use a piece of PVC pipe and a tripod for temp mounts (camping, tailgating, etc). Works like a charm.

#145 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Because no job is complete without some duct tape!:lol:

#146 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,163 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Going out on a limb, but I would presume that the tech didn't realize that you need only to feed the 101 dish lines into the two inputs without the 22khz tone..

Obviously so, along with a disastrous job of connector placement too...

I used that same 4x8 mulitiswich on my 101 SD only set-up once in the pre-Ka band era when I planned to upgrade later to a Phase III dish to receive the old Ku band MPEG-2 HD channels at the time. And simply ran the two home run inputs from a standard Phase I dish to the 101 inputs on the switch.

The Zinwell SAM-4803 was actually a very good Ku band MS (if you don't need OTA diplex) that I still have lying around here which was really sent to me by mistake from SolidSignal when I originally ordered a 5x8 for the OTA diplex option if I chose.

#147 OFFLINE   Cats#8

Cats#8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

LOL.. I have to laugh about this now but i was on a service call this morning and the customer was not receiving locals on one IRD. a R15. so I check the set up and its set to slimeline3. So me being me I start thinking yea I am going to be out of here in 10 minutes. That was the first mistake. . After selecting the correct ODU's a 18 inch and a 72.5. I get locals but nothing on the odd transponders. So I check the IRD. 18.5 volts and its not switching. Great I think and swap out the R15 for a HR20. I run set up and it fails on 99 and 103. I scratch my head and call my tech sup. He says that the HR20 wont work with two 18's so he drops me off a Standard DVR a R-22. Same problem again. I set it up as two 18 rounds and it fails me on 99 and 103. I call tech support and find out the account was messed up. They showed the customer had a KAKu ODU. so they correct that and I get a waiver. By now I am already late to my next stop. Run set up and still no odd transponders. Pull the ladder off the truck and start changing the switch. And of course trying to hurry I put the 101 into the 22khz. :nono2: So I have to pull the ladder back off the truck again fight off the dog and correct my mistake. It seems alot funnier now than it did. :grin: Oh and of course it pouring down rain today.:lol:

#148 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Obviously so, along with a disastrous job of connector placement too...

yeah if you look closely thats an uncompressed quad shield connector or a dual shield line with the power port facing up. They used some silicone to "seal it". It was beyond corroded out. My service supervisor has this beauty in his office. When I showed it to him, he laughed his ass off and insisted on keeping it.

As for the dish network one, I guess the pvc is ok, but taking the bungie, pvc, duct tape, and wind chime in at once made it a priceless picture
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#149 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

I decided to do some tidying up myself today....

Attached Thumbnails

• Attic before.jpg
  • Attic after.jpg

#150 OFFLINE   Valve1138

Valve1138

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

Thats a neat looking backboard for the sat gear MadMac. Nice job.

#151 OFFLINE   dj2cohen

dj2cohen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

That is very nice. Beautiful work.

#152 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Brings a tear to my eye

#153 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

It's been needing done for a LOOOONNNGGGG time, and I'm adding extra outlets, so I decided to take the opportunity and tidy all the wiring up. The internet switch is now inside the Leviton box occupying the space formerly taken up by the (am I allowed to say cable around here? :)) distribution amp. Board cost a few dollars, splitters about $20 for four and the 6x8 was $10 on ebay. One switch feeds all outlets at the back of the house, the other all outlets at the front so wires don't criss-cross. Everything is labelled and makes it easy to identify any problems if they should arise.

#154 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

It's been needing done for a LOOOONNNGGGG time, and I'm adding extra outlets, so I decided to take the opportunity and tidy all the wiring up. The internet switch is now inside the Leviton box occupying the space formerly taken up by the (am I allowed to say cable around here? :)) distribution amp. Board cost a few dollars, splitters about $20 for four and the 6x8 was $10 on ebay. One switch feeds all outlets at the back of the house, the other all outlets at the front so wires don't criss-cross. Everything is labelled and makes it easy to identify any problems if they should arise.

tell me more about that leviton box, got a part number? picture of the guts of it?

#155 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

tell me more about that leviton box, got a part number? picture of the guts of it?

I'll get back to you with info later today.

#156 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:49 AM

As requested.

#157 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:51 AM

As requested.

Thank you!

The cat3 punched down at the top is telco or some other purpose? I like how tidy it looks with the cover, I may have to look into that a little more.

#158 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, it's the phone lines. The box came with it already installed - I don't think they do this particular one any more, but they have similar ones. You can get things like a router or a TV distribution amp to fit inside. There's a seller on ebay (Fruit Ridge Tools - ebay name frwoodworking) who carries a whole range of the Leviton stuff at reasonable prices.

#159 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

And here we have very rare pictures of this most elusive creature, the zip tied to a railing dish.
This creature is often rumored to exist, but often, by the time the game hunters show up to examine the creature, it's molted into the hanging by the wires dish.

Customer stated that the system was installed in feb, and the dish was slowly sliding its way down the railing and he finally lost signal this weekend.

Posted Image

#160 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

I love the zip tie mount. Yours didn't even have a bungie cord implemented though. Those are the best to come across
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...