Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Shame Thread: Just how bad can it get

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:28 AM

I can;t tell, is the zip tied dish at an apartment or something and they used the ties to avoid making a permament attachment? I can maybe see installing it like that if the occupant did not want to go with a tripod mounted dish or something, but at least install it at the bottom from teh beginning and inform them of the risk.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

I can;t tell, is the zip tied dish at an apartment or something and they used the ties to avoid making a permament attachment? I can maybe see installing it like that if the occupant did not want to go with a tripod mounted dish or something, but at least install it at the bottom from teh beginning and inform them of the risk.

Or use self tappers which easily come out. Or some sort of a U bolt.

I've seen quite a few of the elusive zip tie mounts.
Two prime examples of a DIY job not long after E* went N3 and the customers "FTA" install went dark. :lol:

Edited by Mertzen, 06 October 2009 - 09:42 AM.

No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#163 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

Or use self tappers which easily come out. Or some sore of a U bolt.

I've seen quite a few of the elusive zip tie mounts.
Two prime examples of a DIY job not long after E* went N3 and the customers "FTA" install went dark. :lol:

Put a 2x4 below it to keep it from sliding down again.
Non-pen mount :)

#164 OFFLINE   JackDW001

JackDW001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

These are so funny. I am just a homeowner and not a professional installer but I have installed several DBS and C-Band systems in the past for myself and family members. One goal I always have is that it must be equal to or better then the professional installed systems. All installs are a little over engineered as you never know when you may encounter that weird hurrcaine force wind. All wires are tied and securely mounted. I do not believe in running wires through wall. They are always fished into the walls and nice wall plates used. I look around my neighborhood and I am proud that my "customer install" look better and cleaner then those that were professionally installed. I wish to install a DBS system in my current house but so far all I get is that custumer install is not allowed and my idea is a good install is far beyond what most installers consider a standard install.

My son recently moved into new house and had E* system installed by a local E* provider. When I saw it mounted to a 4x4, I laughed and asked what happens when wood gets wet (it twists) and what happens when it drys out (it twists again). Within a month he was losing signal. I offered to fix it with a solid mount but he declined and said he will keep calling out the company until they take the hint and gets rid of the 4x4.

#165 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

My son recently moved into new house and had E* system installed by a local E* provider. When I saw it mounted to a 4x4, I laughed and asked what happens when wood gets wet (it twists) and what happens when it drys out (it twists again). Within a month he was losing signal. I offered to fix it with a solid mount but he declined and said he will keep calling out the company until they take the hint and gets rid of the 4x4.

I agree with the ideals you have, but I installed an AT-9 on a 6x8 for my parents 3 years ago, hasn't had a signal problem yet, and this is in Alabama, where humidity is killer.

Did the same thing for a buddy of mine that owns a few log cabins. Bought the wood posts from Lowe's, treated wood, 8' sections. He hasn't had a problem either... (Used the 5-LNB slimlines at his place).

#166 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

I wish to install a DBS system in my current house but so far all I get is that custumer install is not allowed and my idea is a good install is far beyond what most installers consider a standard install.

That's not entirely true.
You'll read a lot of stories (especially from the big posters) about people doing everything themselves short of mounting the dish. Some pay and do that too.

I don't know if the techs get paid to do site surveys (it's alot more honest then calling in for new service and then refusing the order).
I would call DirecTV and/or your local DBS installer and ask them to come do a site survey. Once you find out where they can / want to put the dish, you can run all the interior cabling to that mounting point. Then call and order service, that way when the tech gets there all they have to do is sling the dish up (easier said than done with the heavier dishes) and verify that signals are good.

#167 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

I wish I still had the picture, but I once did an install at an apartment, and next door there was a dish "mounted" on a rock on the lawn with about 40 zip ties.

#168 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

I don't know if the techs get paid to do site surveys

Nope, but did you really have to ask ;)

"If you have to wonder if we get paid for it, we don't" is a good measure.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#169 OFFLINE   JackDW001

JackDW001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

That's not entirely true.
I don't know if the techs get paid to do site surveys (it's alot more honest then calling in for new service and then refusing the order).
I would call DirecTV and/or your local DBS installer and ask them to come do a site survey. Once you find out where they can / want to put the dish, you can run all the interior cabling to that mounting point. Then call and order service, that way when the tech gets there all they have to do is sling the dish up (easier said than done with the heavier dishes) and verify that signals are good.

Thanks for the suggestions CJTE. I don't need the site survey. Using an Engineer Lensatic Compass and an Inclinometer I can pretty much pinpoint the satellites (the last couple dishes that I sit up had stong signals as soon as powered up using this method). Most likely, the dish will be mounted on my detached garage with the feeds routing into the garage, buried between the garage and house and the switches located where the feeds enter the house. Not a standard install which is why I want to do it myself.

I am hoping to do the total install myself including putting up the dish and the "offical" installer would only have to "fine tune" the setting, install the final receivers. I am thinking about talking to a local dealer to see if they will work with me. Seems this would be the best possible deal for them since am experienced in installing dishes including C-Band systems.

#170 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

I've been doing this so long all I really need is a good compass.

In the center part of the USA most of the birds are between 35-46 degrees,I can point at them after looking at the compass.:)

I almost never get paid to do a failed LOS survey,If it fails LOS I get in the truck and go to the next call.

Edited by Matt9876, 08 October 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#171 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

I've been doing this so long all I really need is a good compass.

In the center part of the USA most of the birds are between 35-46 degrees,I can point at them after looking at the compass.:)

I almost never get paid to do a failed LOS survey,If it fails LOS I get in the truck and go to the next call.

There was a time whem there was a $25.00 payment for a customer contact & survey. Sometimes a NLOS could be fixed with tree cutting or something. One day it just went...no LOS money. Customers still took the day off work and expected someone to arrive and walk their property.

Joe

#172 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

Decided to resurrect this one from the graveyard...

here is how you have LOS to 101, and 103, and not 99.

Attached Thumbnails

• nolo99.jpg

#173 OFFLINE   Altcool

Altcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

That should hold up in a snow storm

Attached Thumbnails

• dish (1).jpg
  • dish (2).jpg
  • dish (3).jpg
  • dish (4).jpg

#174 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

That one's got me stumped! :lol::lol:
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#175 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

unbelievable.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#176 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:56 AM

Another SuperDish to Slimline SWM conversion.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00880.JPG
  • DSC00884.JPG
  • DSC00881.JPG

#177 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

Bob Vila always says measure twice.... cut once.

Oops!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Entry point 1.jpg

#178 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

I particularly like the "swagged" coax line.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#179 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image

This was originally a 2-dish Dish Network install that was changed to a DirecTV install and then back to a single-dish Dish install with a 500+ (i.e., International) dish. The Plus dish was installed by a retailer's subcontractor, who clearly has no business doing sat installs.

Posted Image

Another shot of the Plus dish mounted on a standard Dish 500 mast, which is much more lightly constructed than the mast a Plus dish comes with, and is missing the required support arms. The International signals come from 118.7, which is a medium-powered FSS satellite, and not a high-powered DBS satellite, and a Plus dish is already pushing minimum reflector size to pull in this sat. It doesn't take much of a mis-alignment to take out the signal.

But wait, there's more!

Posted Image

The cables are running over the roof, though some of them have been stapled to the wall. The insulated staples are okay, but some of them have been stapled with T25 metal staples, and the staples have pierced the cable jacket in many places, a common problem with T25 staples and one of the reasons that a single T25 staple on your line will result in a failed QC. Want to see what a T25 can do?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rain water got into the cables through those staple holes and ran all the way down to the receiver. With the DC voltage moving through the flooded cable, it quickly corroded the cable. This install was 47 days old, folks.

The best part of these jobs is getting to de-install all of the old crap and do a full reinstall, all for service call pay...

#180 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image

This was originally a 2-dish Dish Network install that was changed to a DirecTV install and then back to a single-dish Dish install with a 500+ (i.e., International) dish. The Plus dish was installed by a retailer's subcontractor, who clearly has no business doing sat installs.

Posted Image

Another shot of the Plus dish mounted on a standard Dish 500 mast, which is much more lightly constructed than the mast a Plus dish comes with, and is missing the required support arms. The International signals come from 118.7, which is a medium-powered FSS satellite, and not a high-powered DBS satellite, and a Plus dish is already pushing minimum reflector size to pull in this sat. It doesn't take much of a mis-alignment to take out the signal.

But wait, there's more!

Posted Image

The cables are running over the roof, though some of them have been stapled to the wall. The insulated staples are okay, but some of them have been stapled with T25 metal staples, and the staples have pierced the cable jacket in many places, a common problem with T25 staples and one of the reasons that a single T25 staple on your line will result in a failed QC. Want to see what a T25 can do?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rain water got into the cables through those staple holes and ran all the way down to the receiver. With the DC voltage moving through the flooded cable, it quickly corroded the cable. This install was 47 days old, folks.

The best part of these jobs is getting to de-install all of the old crap and do a full reinstall, all for service call pay...

That is where I got off the bus!

The SERVICE CALL was to correct cables run through windows that prevented the security system from working.

I reported I was unable to drill masonry walls at four places, remove all the exterior cable that had been spiked by electrician staples and T 25s, replace all the siding and flashing that had staple holes, relocate the dish to a pole and correctly ground the job for $30.00.

"The customer will cancel if this is not fixed today...one hand washes the other..work with me on this."

"Pay me to fix it."

"Can't do it on this one."

"Click"

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 09 April 2010 - 12:26 PM.
typo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...