Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Closer to getting XM then ever before

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:12 AM

I was at WalMart the other day and had an XM receiver in my had I was about to go cash out when I realized it was just the receiver, the home adaptor kit was an extra $65. I have about $60 left on my gift card I wanted to blow, but looks like I'll just stock up on some DVDs. How is the audio quality going through a home theater system? I realized the other day I never listen to the radio when driving, I always have my CD changer full with 480 minutes worth of Metallica or Pantera, which ever I feel like that day. Also with XM is there any service type contracts with having to have the service for a specific amount of time? I would like to get DirecTV and pay for it fully on my own, so I may have to cancel XM depending on finances (car insurance/maintaince mainly) and also the fact Boneyard and Liquid Metal would most likely be the only channels I would listen to, I would have to see if it would be worth it for the two channels.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:36 AM

Yes Steve I think you will enjoy Liquid Metal. :)

When your in CT next week if we get together I will let you play with my XM to try it out if you want. :D

#3 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:15 PM

Ethel and Squizz are good channels as well for fans of that style of music.......

#4 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:41 PM

I think the music countdowns they have on XM would also be enjoyed by many.

#5 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:04 PM

Im going to get xm Soon very soon
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#6 OFFLINE   John Walsh III

John Walsh III

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:06 PM

I love XM. Its definitely worth the money.
Hail to the Redskins!!!

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:37 AM

Pez, come on in, the water's fine!

Biggest paradigm shift in my watching and listening habits since the PVR....... I look with pity on the rest of the drivers on the highway who have to listen to 25 minutes of commercials an hour......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Strong

Strong

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:02 PM

..... I look with pity on the rest of the drivers on the highway who have to listen to 25 minutes of commercials an hour......

I wonder about some folks..Maybe some folks just don't hate commercials as much as I do. I almost always turn down the radio or TV volume when commercials come on, but none of my friends or family do.

I took the plunge today and got XM today...and even with the handful of commercials they do have its been a pleasure!
"I'm real cool, I chill to the max, I might act crazy, but I don't smoke crack!" - Shinehead

#9 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:50 PM

Pez, come on in, the water's fine!

Biggest paradigm shift in my watching and listening habits since the PVR....... I look with pity on the rest of the drivers on the highway who have to listen to 25 minutes of commercials an hour......

As soon as i get a job again I will be getting xm Give it time Mabye next month or december :lol:
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#10 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:26 PM

Had to drive 45 minutes back from an appointment tonight..... What would have been boring was fun.

Cinemagic had a Kill Bill block of songs (I thought I was the only one who could appreciate a sledgehammer segue from Zamfir's "The Lonely Shepherd" to Santa Esmarelda's "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", but Q. proved me wrong). Jumped to BPM where I heard the unreleased theme from Queer Eye For The Straight Guy remixed (WideLife is the group and "All Things" is the title.... not a single yet, but supposed to be soon). Moved over to Fred for some Classic B52s and then over to ESPN Radio to catch the beginning of World Series Game 5 (and they are even showing the score, how many outs, and what half of the inning it is.

I was actually disappointed to pull into my driveway. THAT never happened even when I had CDs playing much less AM/FM......

In 2000 I got a PVR and it changed everything about TV for me. In 2003 I got Satellite Radio and it changed Radio for me. I wonder what 2006 is gonna have to do to keep up ......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:39 PM

Recently on my way home from work I've been really getting into listening to the comedy channels. They bring my spirits up if after a bad day. I also have my XMPCR at work and listen to it all day long. I very rarely even use the tuner in my car stereo. :)

#12 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:11 AM

I use my AM/FM tuner ever day...... but it's stuck at 87.9.... that's the frequency my FM demodulator uses to transmit (Here's a neat trick... next time you see an XM antenna on a car on the highway, turn yours off and leave the radio at 87.9.... you might be able to pickup what he is listening to if he has the demodulator installed)

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:20 AM

Just curious, as a Sirius subscriber, why did you choose XM over Sirius???

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:24 AM

Just curious, as a Sirius subscriber, why did you choose XM over Sirius???

Cinemagic was the main reason for me.

#15 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:00 AM

Three Main Reasons.......

1. Cinemagic
2. UPop
3. Delphi SkyFi Radio's Large Display and Portability between the car, the house, and a boombox......

The fact that they had about a 10-1 edge in subscribers didn't hurt either. I'm still wondering whether Sirius will ever develop sufficient momentum to remain viable or whether their subscriber base will EVER reach the critical mass necessary to sustain the business model.

Wow, that was a great sentence (My old economics professor would be proud).

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 06:03 PM

I know I started this thread a long time ago, but Jacob, if you read this, what countdowns were you talking about? Some how I missed that post way back when :)

and yes Bob I am fully enjoying Squizz :D, I actually didn't know about that channel when I first started this thread because I was looking at an old copy of the channel line up before it was added. Ethel is pretty good too, by LM and da Bone Yard are still my favorites, LM being the reaso I got XM :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#17 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:43 AM

Hey, I'm with you on the Yanks (Mets fan here), also....

My favorite freakshow that is the Giants beat the undefeated Vikes but couldn't knock off weaker Cowboys and Eagles teams while they were on the ropes.

I hate the Yankees because they are bad for baseball. If they had one, you would have seen legions of casual fans giving up on baseball as a game winnable by only the rich markets.

First, the Angels... now the Marlins..... Maybe the Baseball gods ARE starting to pay attention........ Now, if only the Red Sox, White Sox, or Cubbies could win one..........

But the story of the weekend is still the Giants for me.....

(Monty Python voice) "I'm not quite dead yet??!!??"

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 04:41 PM

I also have my XMPCR at work and listen to it all day long.

My commute is soo short that I could never justify sat radio, but somehow I doubt with all the metal above me that I could ever get a signal at work (which is where I have to suffer through the commercials).

#19 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:00 PM

My building is pretty brutal on radio waves, but I could still get a signal by the window (depends on what part of the building you are in and if you can get the antenna anywhere near a window (If you live in Dilbert's CubicleLand.... I can't help you)

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:14 PM

My building is pretty brutal on radio waves, but I could still get a signal by the window (depends on what part of the building you are in and if you can get the antenna anywhere near a window (If you live in Dilbert's CubicleLand.... I can't help you)

Bingo. Dilbert CubicleLand, and at least 50 feet (and a main crossing aisle) from a window. AM is impossible, and FM only offers a few choices with a powered antenna.

I'm too lazy to do the iPod/whatever thing, and shuffling CDs gets old after awhile. :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...