Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Record DTV to computer to view on palm

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timjet

timjet

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

To all

I have media share and directv2pc up and running on my vista computer and HD DVR. I would like to transfer recorded programs on my DVR to my computer and then download them to my palm mobile device. Can this be done?
One way I guess would be to install a screen capture program and use it to record the program as it plays using directv2pc. Is there a better way and if not can someone recommend a good free screen capture program that would do the job.

Thanks,
Timjet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

To all

I have media share and directv2pc up and running on my vista computer and HD DVR. I would like to transfer recorded programs on my DVR to my computer and then download them to my palm mobile device. Can this be done?
One way I guess would be to install a screen capture program and use it to record the program as it plays using directv2pc. Is there a better way and if not can someone recommend a good free screen capture program that would do the job.

Thanks,
Timjet

DirecTV2PC doesn't allow saving the program locally.

You can't use screen capture.

If you try a print screen or a program similar to printkey you will a blank DirecTV2PC window.

The only way this is currently possible is with componet/composite/s-video directly to your computer.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 06 April 2009 - 08:26 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

You can't do that with DIRECTV2PC. If you get a video capture device for your computer, you can pull the analog signal from the DVR in real time, and then re-encode it for your mobile device.

At the moment, I don't think it's possible to screen-grab DIRECTV2PC.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

To all

Thanks,
Timjet

Reviews are so-so, but how about this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000IN72KK

I found it while looking for another device that I had seen a few years ago. I'm guessing it went away...may speak to how well it worked.

I use a free program called DVD Catalyst to convert DVDs to a mobile format and I would assume that it would work for TV shows that were burned to a DVD.

#5 OFFLINE   timjet

timjet

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Durl

I guess what I might do is try and record a recorded TV program on my directv DVR to my Panasonic DVD recorder and then use DVD Catalyst to upload the DVD to my computer in a format that my palm device can read. I have heard that Panasonic DVD recorders have been know to be difficult to record off of DVR devices. I will give it a try in the next couple of days.
Thanks,
Tim

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Your best bet for what your wanting to do is a slingbox.

It connects to your equipment (your DirecTV receiver in this case) and allows for in and out of network viewing. A current broadband connection to the internet is required for remote viewing.

You can watch and control the Satellite receiver from anywhere on a computer, or straight to cell phone for that matter, as if it were right in front of you. There are several options for quality depending on the model you choose:
The Solo, Pro, and Pro HD are the current models in their lineup.
Ther is no monthly fee BTW.

If you need more info or have questions conearning about implementign this place/time shifting device into your paerticular setup; just ask. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

I use DVDFab to copy DVDs to Ipod. The program will convert dvd to most mobile devices. In your case, all you would have to do is record from D* to a dvd, then use DVDFab to convert your dvd to your palm device.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#8 OFFLINE   timjet

timjet

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Your best bet for what your wanting to do is a slingbox.

It connects to your equipment (your DirecTV receiver in this case) and allows for in and out of network viewing. A current broadband connection to the internet is required for remote viewing.

You can watch and control the Satellite receiver from anywhere on a computer, or straight to cell phone for that matter, as if it were right in front of you. There are several options for quality depending on the model you choose:
The Solo, Pro, and Pro HD are the current models in their lineup.
Ther is no monthly fee BTW.

If you need more info or have questions conearning about implementign this place/time shifting device into your paerticular setup; just ask. ;)

Yoda DBSguy

Thanks for the info. In researching the slingbox it appears it is a device that allows you to play whats already recorded on a directv DVR over the internet. If so I'm not sure that is what I want. I want to be able to play recorded content on my palm mobile device. My mobile device has wifi but I only use it in locations that have free wifi.
Perhaps I don't fully understand what the slingbox does.

Tim

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Tim,

There is a slingplayer for Palm available, I believe, and if your device has reasonably fast internet, that might be a good idea.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Won't that make your palm rosey?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Yoda DBSguy

Thanks for the info. In researching the slingbox it appears it is a device that allows you to play whats already recorded on a directv DVR over the internet. If so I'm not sure that is what I want. I want to be able to play recorded content on my palm mobile device. My mobile device has wifi but I only use it in locations that have free wifi.
Perhaps I don't fully understand what the slingbox does.

Tim

Slingplayer for your mobile phone allows you to view live tv and control/playback all your dvr recordeings as well on any computer as well as straight to your phone via wifi, edge or 3g etc....

So when your within free wifi range you can watch it via that connection; when oyur out and about it can use your cell's data connection to connect and operate in the same manner.

If you only wanting to copy things and have it stored on the phone itself, then as mentioned you need a computer tv input/capture device/card. you would have to play back the dvr and realtime record it to your computer. then you would have to use anyone of a plithera of available software to convert it to a format oyur phone can playback, then finally copy it to the phones memory storage media (sd card, etc...).

All of which give limited functionality and of course takes time to playback/copy, convert, copy back etc....

The slingbox as I mentioned does away with all of that and allows full control without any of the hastle listed above.

#12 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

I have a Slingbox Classic and use it with HR-20 and a Palm Treo 755 daily (Sprint). It works very well. Cost for the Palm software is $35.00 but you can demo it for free.

You can also use a Mac or PC to view content, with the approprate software.

#13 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

I have a Slingbox Classic and use it with HR-20 and a Palm Treo 755 daily (Sprint). It works very well. Cost for the Palm software is $35.00 but you can demo it for free.

You can also use a Mac or PC to view content, with the approprate software.

The cell version of the app actually costs 30, not 35; but that's besides the point.

Just FYI, with the 2.0 software and firmware versions released; you don't need to have spling player installed on a PC in order to view; you simply need to log into sling medias web portal with a standard internet explorer or firefox web browser.

#14 OFFLINE   IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Fraps works great
My equipment of wonder!
-------------

HR21-700 (deceased) Living room - TV - HL61A750 61'' LED DLP
HR21-700 Mstr Bedroom - PL4260N 42'' Plasma
H23-600 Bedroom2 - 22'' Toshiba LCD/DVD